Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    azanerd Posts: 41, Reputation: 0

Jun 4, 2008, 06:27 PM
    Okay, thank you so much :) you're really helpful
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 4, 2008, 06:31 PM
    You are very welcome. I could talk about rabbits all day, sad isn't it? ;)

Jun 4, 2008, 06:42 PM
    Nope :P not sad. It's sweet and helpful :)
    Pets Expert

Jun 4, 2008, 06:44 PM
    Well thank you for saying that. And it goes without saying, anytime you need some advice, just ask. If I know the answer I'll be glad to pass it on, if not, I'm great at research. :)

Jun 25, 2008, 03:05 AM
    How much does it cost to get them fixed?
    Pets Expert

Jun 25, 2008, 08:05 AM
    It depends on were you live and the resources available. I live in Canada and it cost me $200.00 to get my first rabbit fixed, the rest were already fixed as I adopted them from the SPCA. Remember also, not all vets know how to neuter or spay a rabbit, they are very different then other animals, so you may have to make a few calls.

Check with your local shelter, some of them offer neutering and spaying at a discount, they see the value in this because it means less strays or unwanted pets in their shelter. :)

Call around, or Google vets or spay/neuter clinics for your area.

I'm so glad that you are looking in to this. Remember, even though it may be a bit costly, it's a one time fee and it will prolong the life of your rabbit and also make him/her a better pet.

Good luck, let me know how it goes. :)

Jul 2, 2008, 09:56 AM
    Thank you :) I've been talking to someone who works at an animal shelter, they're going to give me some information about that and also I'm looking into adopting one of their rabbits. Unfortunately the one I'm considering the most has a tumor :( I'm going to be donating to help with her vet bill to remove it and if you know anyone who would do the same then here's a link with their information, you can find an email and a phone number in there. Also, this is what they sent to me:

"Oh, and I am going to put more pictures of her up soon, to focus on her issues, but I have to warn you that it is pretty sad. -Sometimes we have to focus on the negatives with the animals to make the public more aware of how much they need help. I hate it that it has to be this way, but it definately helps achieve our goal, which is to get them healthy, and get them a great home. -I just thought I would tell you that so that you weren't shocked by the photos I am going to put up."

So, I'm just trying to spread the word :(... Here's the link
    Adopt a Palomino: Lovie~ TUMOR- Sad!: Petfinder
    Pets Expert

Jul 2, 2008, 01:13 PM
    It's so wonderful that you are thinking of adopting her. I hope that the surgery works and that she has a long wonderful life with you.

She's a sweetie, the look in her eyes says it all "Love me, hold me, hug me, you'll get all that and more in return."

Good luck, keep us updated. :)

Jul 2, 2008, 05:45 PM
    Thank you so much, the part where you spoke for her almost made me cry. It's what I see in her cute little face which is why I can't just say no to her just because she's going through those things. Lol, I've gotten myself involved so now I can't just move on and turn my back on her. I'm so scared that somthings going to go wrong but even if it does and she doesn't make it through this, I know my efforts won't be wasted because at least it means someone's trying for her and not moving on to an easier choice. I'm so glad I've been getting advise from some one who cares about them so much :)
    Pets Expert

Jul 2, 2008, 07:34 PM
    It seems as if you've become someone "who cares about them so much". :)

She's lucky to have someone like you to love her. Love can cure many things, so don't give up. If the worst happens, then she had you in her life for a while, and that will make all the difference. :)

My latest adoption (Kilala) is a troubled little soul. She hates people, can't stand them. If I try to pet her she usually lunges (a sign of fear) and doesn't want anything to do with me. She loves my border collie Jasper, in fact, they rub noses all the time, and Jasper gives her kisses. Because of him, she's coming around. Yesterday, for the first time since I got her (on mother's day) she let me hold her for more then a few minutes, and she actually fell asleep in my lap, she's starting to trust.

My other trouble maker Thumper, he's done a complete turn around. He's a big bunny suck, loves to cuddle, loves pets and is happiest when he has his humans around.

There are people who love bunnies, people, like you and me, who aren't content to just "own" them, but want to give them everything they need to be healthy and happy. I'm not surprised that you're getting another, I had a feeling you would, because you understand what it takes, and realize that it isn't always easy, but you're still willing to go that extra mile, because you love these little critters. That's what it takes.

What are you going to name your new bunny?

Jul 2, 2008, 08:37 PM
    I'm going to keep it as it is, Lovie. I think it's a cute name. My rabbit that I have now gets frightened a lot too. She wasn't like that so much when I lived alone, she always came to me when I tapped the floor or held my hand out to her and she rarely lunged unless I accidentally startled her. But now that my sister lives with me, she's just not as trusting of me as she used to be and if my sister has a friend over, she's a nervous wreck. I can still pet her sometimes and pick her up without her trying to jump away, but as soon as she hears my sister talking on the phone or just walking through the hallway she gets scared again. Also, she used to be really playful and now she just hides all the time, though I can get her to come out by showing her timothy hay and then I get to interact with her, I don't know if she's getting depressed and if it's partly because of loneliness then I hope I can fix that soon. :(
    Pets Expert

Jul 2, 2008, 08:45 PM
    Rabbits are social animals, but not usually with humans, that's something we "force" on them. She will be happier with a friend, even if they aren't together in the cage, but just side by side. My four are all lined up next to each other, they sniff noses, lick each other, and when they're in the "bunny binky" room, they play. They love each other. It's a good idea to get a friend for your bunny.

If she's frightened then maybe you should move her cage. Put her in a less high traffic area. They are fearful little animals, that's how they survive, everything in the wild is out to get them, predators, man, and other rabbits, they have to be scared.

Start by feeding her in her cage, by hand. Open the door, offer a carrot, or another favorite treat, and make her come to you and eat it out of your hand. Do that for a few days, then reach out to pet her when she's eating out of your hand. Start slow, if she's nervous, then work your way up. She'll get used to the noise and commotion, but she may never fully adjust.

Lovie, I love it, it suits her.

Jul 3, 2008, 08:31 AM
    Thank you :)

Aug 13, 2008, 05:25 AM
    I have to move in with someone who is allergic to rabbits, so I have to give mine away. I haven't been able to find a good home for her and I don't have any more time to keep looking. A friend told me that there are rabbit sanctuaries where she wouldn't be uthinized if they can't find her a home soon enough. But I haven't been able to find any in my area. And since you're good at research I wondering if you knew how to find one of these places. I live in Winchester, Kentucky.
    cute kate Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2008, 09:19 PM
    Well my rabbit likes to take showers! A little weird but it calms here down if she is mad or watever
    wishes Posts: 98, Reputation: 2

Oct 12, 2008, 08:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mysteryperson123 View Post
    Daisy lived to be around three. She got a lump on her neck and died. We used to have to go out and chase Daisy until we managed to catch her. Even after we moved out of the house we still used to see him when we passed by, sitting there, waiting for Daisy to come out and see him.
    My rabbit just died and he had a lump on his neck :( eh died today... I miss him already

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Going crazy taking care of mom [ 5 Answers ]

I'm ashmed to say it but I don't believe this is going to work. To top it off my 2 sisters tell me I asked for it and now I'mstuck with it. Let me go back a few years. I was about to re-marry after 15 years of being a bachelor. She died in a car accident. I was devistated. Lost my job,...

I feel I'm taking care of another guys baby [ 5 Answers ]

My baby mother and I agreed that I pay her 200 per month for child support because that was all I could afford because I was left all the bills when we split up. When she found out I got married to someone she got ticked off and filed a petition for child support... I am now paying $400 a month...

Does taking care of your health liten your skin? [ 3 Answers ]

This question has been bothering me, I really want to lighten my skin, and I don't want to use lightening products because its not yet appropri8 for my age and I've heard they make your skin even duller... so for me, if this is a solution, I want to know if taking care of my health will make me...

Taking care of mom [ 8 Answers ]

I'm 15, and I have to take care of my mother. She's 58 years old, and I've basically been her pyschiatrist my whole life. Now that she's older, I have to be her nurse as well. She had a parcial knee replacement last year, and I took care of her and the household by myself. Now she has to get a...

Taking care of mold [ 2 Answers ]

Lastnight I just noticed mold growing on the windowsill in my bathroom. Its not very much but I'm not sure how to take care of it? I've never dealt with mold. Can some one help. Thanks

View more questions Search