Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frangipanis Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2008, 04:53 AM
    I just saw your painting on the link and you have loads of talent and creativity... I adore cats. You're a biochemist? That's great :)
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2008, 09:01 AM
    Temp, I probably live in a less complex city than you do. Our town isn't exposed to enough art and artist are really appreciated in their endeavors to liven up the downtown area with color and expression of town history or a tribute to someone. Sounds like you have "been there, done that". It is OLD HAT to you. Once I have created a piece, I generally like to move on to something else also. Keep us posted. I will be interested to view what you decide on for this project.

What mixed medias have you worked in previously? I need a little inspiration myself to move into some new areas of creativity so reading all these ideas are getting me a little pumped to get off my duff and get busy! Thanks for the inspiration.
    tomterm8 Posts: 76, Reputation: 8

Apr 18, 2008, 10:54 AM
    Hm... maybe you are expecting the work to be too perfect? That's often the case with artists block. I would get out a pencil and go for a walk. Stop every couple of minutes, and draw anything you see. Spend no more than a few minutes on each drawing. Bin them when you get home.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2008, 01:48 PM
    jreble I will definitely go back to murals one day, I just kind of lost interest after being separated from my friends, we were a really good team. There is nothing better than using everybody's strengths to produce a synergistic result. Maybe one day we'll do a reunion!

Tomterm8
    I think one day perfectionism will kill me! It is definitely one of those equally cursed and blessed part of a person's personality. It an make you do great thing or it can completely cripple you. I'm going to do that walk thing, I'm quiet voyeuristic I like ot draw people in public places when they don't know I am. Airports are great for this, the range of body language is fantastic.

Jreble A cool mixed media thing I like to do is sketching, scanning and printing on tracing paper. When you print on tracing paper it looks really cool (you have to set the printer to draft to avoid overloading with ink). Or you can overload the ink and then work into it when it is wet with a brush/fingers or a blender. Then when you scan the tracing paper print the light interacts with it very strangely. You can produce really ethereal pieces. Due to the iterative process you can get more than one piece and really manipulate the image.

Other things I like to use is silk painting gutter on cardboard or any other surface, or in paintings to add dimension. There are loads of medias you can mix that you are not technically supposed to. I did gouache paint with oil pastel the other day and it worked quiet well. I can think of tons more if you are interested, some stranger one as well, fruit and screws/tacks and nails is a good destressor if nothing else.

You seem to mix up your surfaces a lot already which is really cool.

Here is a great artist for mixing things up have a look at his altered books.
    Tom Phillips: Sculpture&Mixed Media
    EDIT A Humument
    If anyone has some spare time I would recommend browsing his work :)

This link has soe other people's take on the same idea
    altered books

This thread has really been a great help so far! I have started to get into everything again. I really did miss just chatting about art

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Any ideas? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello! I've been having some issues with some kids in school. I must admit, I'm slightly nerdy. I love being in the school band, math is my favorite subject, and I've gotten nothing but As on every report card I've ever gotten. I am very proud of these things, but it's given me an odd...

I need some ideas [ 10 Answers ]

Here is the thing guys, My boyfriend's birthday is 27th of this month. I already bought a gift for him from my December salary and that is a guitar so it was kind of expensive and my whole salary is finished now. But I always get my salary on the 27th of each month so I thought that this month...

Need your ideas [ 7 Answers ]

I'm just wondering what your ideas are of what a normal, healthy relationship is? What are the "rules" when arguing or just dealing with each other? What is absolutely off-limits? Thank you so much for any input you might offer.:)

Need Ideas [ 12 Answers ]

Okay, I am creatively challenged when it comes to projects that my kids have to do for school. My daughter has to make a strand of DNA for a science project. They already did the one that uses candy in class, so we can't do that. Does anyone know of a really cool way to make a strand of DNA?

Any ideas? [ 3 Answers ]

My parents have split up and my 8yr old brother seems to be rebelling towards my mum. He won't do as he told by her. The minute I ask him to he does it without argument. I guess my little bro is angry at my mum and maybe balmes her in some way?? He gets so upset and I have no idea what is...

View more questions Search