Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    reginadiggins Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2008, 05:17 AM
    Abusive husband asking for custody
    I live in Georgia and I have filed for a divorce from my verbally and abusive husband. He has countered by asking for custody of our 8 yr old daughter which he cursed out on a daily basis until I got a restraining order and had him removed from the house. He is also asking for the house which is in my name only and he isn't working and when he did work I paid the mortgage alone. He has lied and said he quit his jobs to babysit our daughter but yet I have always had to pay daycare for her. By the way, this winner has a son who will be 18 in July but he is over $8,000 in arrears on his child support. I don't want this to be long and drawn out, I want him out of me and my daughter's life. What are the chances of him getting custody of our daughter or the house?
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2008, 05:29 AM
    Just curious: do you have an attorney? Does your husband have an attorney? As for the home, he has a claim for a fair division which the judge or jury may award him, or not. This is true for all property acquired during your marriage: cars, boats, furnishings, pensions, etc. Custody will depend upon your unique facts and your judge; some judges show up from under a rock. Judges claim to do what is in the best interest of the child. It is important to develop not only who provides financially, but who provides emotionally. Some important factors for me are: who shops for her, helps her with her bath, prepares her meals, helps with homework, who puts her to bed, who reads to her, who helps her with extra-curricula activities, who takes her to the doctor, etc.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 3, 2008, 06:31 AM
    First you need to document everything. Second you need an attorney to advise you what documentation you need to keep.

If everything is as you say, I can't see how he can get custody if a restraining order was granted ordering him to keep away from you and the child. But I would make sure my interests are protected by an attorney.
    tylena Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2008, 06:47 AM
    First thing never let an abusive person in your life even think there taking your kids, any judge will see that and any godamn good lawyer will fight that case for you and as far as the house that's up to you but your daughter explain to the lawyer and the judge that it won't happen over your dead body... they can also put you in a nice abusive shelter and you will have an apartment within a month . So as far as chances of getting custody of your 8yr old daughter there are no chances...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 3, 2008, 07:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tylena
    first thing never let an abusive person in your life even think there taking your kids, any judge will see that and any godamn good lawyer will fight that case for you and as far as the house thats up to you but your daughter explain to the lawyer and the judge that it wont happen over your dead body........they can also put you in a nice abusive shelter and you will have an apartment within a month . so as far as chances of gettin custody of your 8yr old daughter there are no chances.....
    Let me welcome you to AMHD. I appreciate that you want to help, but I'm afraid your advice makes several false premises. First you can't control what another person thinks. If the husband wants to delude himself into thinking he can get custody, the OP can't stop him. Yes the OP should take a stand that she will fight him, but she can't help what he thinks.

Making threats in court like "over my dead body" does not go over well. A party in a court case is much better off documenting their case and fighting it based on the law, then emotional threats.

This woman owns her house and she pays the mortgage. Why would you suggest she go to a shelter and get an apartment? At the worst, if a judge orders that the house is community property and awards him a half interest, she may have to buy him out, but its unlikely she will lose the house.

Finally, one can never predict what a court will do. While it appears highly unlikely he will get custody if what we are being told is true, you shouldn't make guarantees.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Abusive husband won't leave [ 6 Answers ]

My sister is developed mentally delayed, with a normal iq and intelligence, her husband is mild mentally retarded with a way below average iq. They have been married for 8 1/2 yrs. With 3 kids, one died due to sids. Her husband is hooked on crack and contracted genital herpes from a prostitute. He...

Is my husband abusive? [ 13 Answers ]

My husband constantly puts me down. Not just name calling (example: hoe, *****) but also personal insults like stupid, lazy, fat, and makes me feel bad for not working. I only have a high school diploma and can't afford child-care. We have three kids, and I am pregnant again. I got pregnant on the...

Verbally abusive husband [ 4 Answers ]

Hi this is a first time for me . I need some help I have been married for 13 years to a man who loves his children and wife. But is so verbal abusive that my son is now verbal to me like my husband treats me. He can be the most loving husband and dad that you could ever ask for and the next...

Leaving abusive, cheating, husband . [ 16 Answers ]

My sister is 28 yrs. Old one child 7 months old. She is married to a mild mentally retarded man who also has autisim. She is develop mentally delayed with an IQ of 80 so she is relatively normal. They have been married 9 yrs. He has always been abusive, hitting, yelling etc. she has filed several...

Girlfriend and her abusive husband [ 11 Answers ]

Hello... I am not sure what to do here but was hoping I could get some sort of advise, guidance, or help for my girlfriend and myself. My girlfriend is once again staying with me after leaving her abusive husband for the 4th time now.. she had lived with me before but after talking with her husband...

View more questions Search