Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rebeltequila Posts: 37, Reputation: 4

Apr 3, 2008, 02:51 AM
    How can I make to pups gain wieght
    OK when I got these babies they where 8 weeks and both wieghing 9kgs they are now 9months an only wieghing 11kgs the amount I feed them would shock you they are on 5 feeds a day and look like they are only 4 months old I feed top quality puppy food raw meat and dog roll along with mashed vegetables to bulk meals further they eat approx 10kgs of food a day poop 3 times and show no signs of wieght increase they should be wieghing approx 25kgs each they come from separate litters and where both pick of litter when we got them (the biggest) they came from separate litters and separate location we also have 4 other dogs that are healthy and in peak condition. All our 6 dogs (including the 2 pups) have been wormed recently and have shinny glossy coats and full of energy and life (so much so we bought some out door runs to stop them running around and burning off even more wieght please help me what could be wrong with them or my diet?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 3, 2008, 05:17 AM
    You don't say what kind of dogs they are
    tgslickers Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Apr 3, 2008, 10:36 AM
    You might talk to your Vet. What kind of raw meat do you feed them? Raw meat gives worms, even if they are treated, there are different kinds. I feed my dogs boiled chicken with Rice 2 times a week. I have 2 that were extremey skinney and couldn't gain weight and this helped. Rice is very good for dogs. They are pups they could have so much enery they are running it off. If their coat is shinney and gums are pink and no different in activety, I wouldn't worry about it so much. I would for sure call a Vet and get some advice. They may have something else going on. Our Vet is the one who had us boil the Chicken and rice and it did work, I would never feed my dogs Raw meat thu. Good luck
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2008, 10:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tgslickers
    You might talk to your Vet. What kind of raw meat do you feed them? Raw meat gives worms, even if they are treated, there are different kinds. I feed my dogs boiled chicken with Rice 2 times a week. I have 2 that were extremey skinney and couldn't gain weight and this helped. Rice is very good for dogs. They are pups they could have so much enery they are running it off. If their coat is shinney and gums are pink and no different in activety, I wouldn't worry about it so much. I would for sure call a Vet and get some advice. They may have something else going on. Our Vet is the one who had us boil the Chicken and rice and it did work, I would never feed my dogs Raw meat thu. Good luck

I've always been told that the raw meat/worms thing is an old wives tale. Lots of breeders and people who show their dogs have them on a "raw" diet.

My Vet says it's perfectly safe to feed raw.

Anyone have the final answer and a source? I see several sources on line, all of them different.
    tgslickers Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Apr 3, 2008, 11:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    I've always been told that the raw meat/worms thing is an old wives tale. Lots of breeders and people who show their dogs have them on a "raw" diet.

Anyone have the final answer and a source? I see several sources on line, all of them different.
    I never heard that, Thanks for the info. My Vet told me no because with all the meat scares with humans, to cook raw meat for the dogs so it gets rid of some of the bacteria. I also heard pork kills dogs and bee,f they can get comtamined like humans. I heard boiled chicken and rice is best. Thanks for the info take care

Apr 3, 2008, 12:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle
    You dont say what kind of dogs they are
    They are STAFFORDSHIRE BULL TERRIERS the breed is known a small stcky well built little tank they are meant to be very solid and chuncky mine are lean and boney

Apr 3, 2008, 12:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tgslickers
    It's human grade raw meat and I further freeze it for 7 days to kill anything else in it, I will try chicken boiled and rice thanks for the suggestion :)

I have been to the vet he ran tests and is confused we've tried a bulking dry food diet they just got worse they are locked up most of the day so they are still and not runnng they only get 1 hour of running around
    Guest Posts: n/a, Reputation:

Apr 3, 2008, 12:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rebeltequila
    they are STAFFORDSHIRE BULL TERRIERS the breed is known a small stcky well built little tank they are ment to be very solid and chuncky mine are lean and boney
    Those are awesome dogs. Wish people would quit putting them down because of being pits. What kind of Raw meat is best?

Apr 3, 2008, 12:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee

Raw meat from local butcher won't contain worms (normally) but fresh home kill meat can contain worms that is why you should always freeze meat for 7 days or cook it above 250 degrees Celsius.

Yes most breeders feed a raw diet as it's packed with protein for musle development and such you can get some really awsome results. We are breeders personally and breed staffys with NEW ZEALAND KENNEL CLUB papers all there lines are stocky bulky creatures something just isn't right with my babies they are healthy but loose weight very easily and haven't gained hardly anything what so ever the vet is worried that they haven't developed and they look like there only 4 months old be cuase of the lack of development I'm most worried they are healthy in every other way but they should not be looking half there age and lossing wieght everday.

They each get a total of 15 cups of dog food 1 kg of raw meat and 3 kgs of mashed vegetable + 3 huge cannon bones a day

Apr 3, 2008, 12:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Those are awesome dogs. Wish people would quit putting them down because of being pits. What kind of Raw meat is best?
    Red meat full of protein human grade :) we also have two AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER they are a wonderful breed all goofy you should never judge a dog by its breed my to pitty are show dog registered with Welcome To The New Zealand American Pit Bull Terrier Club it was actually the staffy that made the pit dog into a pit bull terrier and gave it it's terrier mind either way the breed don't matter only the training and up bringing:o

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What to Feed my Pit Bull to make him gain weight! [ 3 Answers ]

What should I feed my pit Bull to make him gain Weight! I want him to be thick but not over weight! What kind of Healthy Food is High in Protein or what kind of suplements can I give him?:) :rolleyes:

Can water ever make you gain weight? [ 3 Answers ]

I know its 0 everything, but can water add to you're size at all?

Under wieght puppy [ 1 Answers ]

I just rescued a under weight male Chihuahua it's a puppy about 2months old and it not wanting to really eat I have been using dropper to give it formula and water but it is getting diarrhea not really bad but it looks really mucus can anyone help.:o

View more questions Search