Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rockerchick_682 Posts: 496, Reputation: 72

Apr 2, 2008, 09:12 PM
    Getting Healthier
    Do any of you have any good recipes that are healthy and don't taste terrible? I've been having a lot of turkey sandwiches lately, but I tend to layer on the cheese, does that ruin the point? And cottage cheese? What are some good snacks to have through-out the day?

Also, any recommendations for dance videos? I'd rather do those than run on the treadmill, but are there any modern ones out there?
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2008, 09:31 PM
    Some of it can be as simple as how you cook... for ex, its easier to grill in the summer instead of fry... on sandwiches cut back on the mayo and hit more with mustard or salt and pepper... and anyway... don't deprive yourself. If a piece of cheese makes you happy, then do it. Instead of a lot of cheese, what about a slice of something more interesting? A smoked cheddar instead of bland american? A little crumbled blue cheese or feta goes a long way for flavor...

A lot of times ill snack (instead of the big lunch) with deli meat (roast beef, turkey, chicken) and a few cheese slices and forgo the bread. I'm not an anti carbs person.. I just sometimes think its not needed. Meat and cheese with a few grapes or fresh berries or pineapple can really be good without the condiments and bread.

Don't neglect nuts such as macademias, almonds, cashews, sunflowers... they have oils that are good for your body and a few of these can stave of hunger.

My general diet is something like:
    Breakfast - english muffin with peanut butter and half a banana
    Mid morning - a few slices of meat and cheese
    Lunch - mixed... sometimes it's a bigger meal with other people, sometimes it's the soup and half a sandwich
    Afternoon - one lowfat yogurt cup or fresh fruit
    Dinner - mostly about portion control. Smaller portions of carbs and meat, more veggies and fruit

Wife has done "yoga booty ballet" and seemed to like it, but I have no clue. She's put this aside and is in a big pilates kick, which has cranked her in... also tae bo... doing one pilates and one tae bo dvd 5 times a week dropped her weight 6 lbs in four weeks... she's really mostly fit, but it seemed to get her body to respond.

Personally, I think tae bo is fun enough, works the upper arms and flexibility throughout the body, and some cardio. Billy blanks can kick my arse some days.

Wish I had more info on the dance vids. If anything, my post will bump this up on the new posts listing for others to see.
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2008, 09:42 PM
    Forgot to mention...

Go to your local public library and check out the exercise dvds... you can try some things out for free and you might be surprised at the mix available.
    rockerchick_682 Posts: 496, Reputation: 72

Apr 2, 2008, 09:42 PM
    So... no lucky charms for breakfast?

I think I'll try that little meals throughout the day thing. Thank you very much for your thoughtful answer. I'll have to head to the store tomorrow and buy a load of grapes. How about melon? And cantelope?

Overall. I think I just need to eat less and exercise more.

... and I will check out the libray:)
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2008, 09:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerchick_682
    So...no lucky charms for breakfast?
    Sometimes a girl has to treat herself?

My opinion is if you have a jones for something, do it right. For ex, if you just need a chocolate fix, do something that's work it... not some convenient store waxy chocolate-ish thing. Do a little of what you crave so you don't eat a bunch of crap trying to fix that need.

So sometimes let yourself feed a need.

Mix up fruit... fresh pineapple is great, mixed with strawberries it can take off the sometimes sour taste, same with grapes thrown in.

If you are in school you might find a bag of nuts in the locker is an easy thing, or a breakfast bar like the fiber one oats and chocolate... not bad at all.

And if you aren't cooking for yourself I think portion control is one of the easiest ways to modify your food. Never starve yourself... but think about eating as much veggies and fruit as you do meat and carbs combined.

And take a multivitamin.

And get good sleep.

And floss.

And say your prayers at night.

Mkay... I'm done here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Healthier rice [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: Which rice is healthier, Parboiled ( Basmati or others) or Polished?

Healthier Breakfast [ 6 Answers ]

I was just wondering does anyone know which is healthier; Having a greasy breakfast (full english style at about 7:30am) Or Not having any breakfast at all (so getting up at about the same time, but not eating until midday!) J

View more questions Search