Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hello Im Johnny Cash Posts: 28, Reputation: 2

Feb 9, 2006, 03:58 AM
    Backups
    Ok... most of you nice people probably aren't going to believe a word I say, and I don't blame you one bit. But I'm going to post my question anyway because somebody might just answer it.

So here's the story: My computer was incredibly low on space, and I unistalled a lot of programs, which means that I didn't keep such great track of a lot of discs. Now that I have a new computer, I want to reinstall all of my old programs. But I cant. The disc that came with my printer is waaaaay too scratched to work, so now I need a new printer. And my Sims 2 disc 1 is just plain gone (I do have the serial code thingy and the other 3 discs, but what good do they do now?). So to make sure that this never happens again, I would like to make backups of all my software. The only problem is-- how?

Is it possible to just copy whole discs? Or do I need certain files? And would it be wrong to download files for the Sims and burn them, since I really did buy the game? If I did that, how would I burn them? :confused: :confused: :confused:
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2006, 05:44 AM
    HI,
    I do believe you, because more things can happen that no one would believe!; unless they have been around computers for awhile.
    As you said, you can't reinstall a lot of your programs because the install CD's aren't available. If you have proof that you bought these CD's, you can try finding phone numbers or email addresses, for those. They might work with you on replacing them free, or for a lower fee. Just a thought.
    As to the Sims 1, I would go to the Sims website, look for a phone number or email address, try that route for getting another Sims Disc 1.
    Maybe your other Sims discs has some infor on them, to know who to call.
    If any install CD's are copywrited, then you can't copy them to other CD's.
    Also, in order to copy any CD, or program, you will need a burner drive.
    I do wish you the very best.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2006, 06:07 AM
    The files for your printer are not a problem since 99% of all printer manufacters have their available for download from their website. As for your Sims 2 CD1 issue you could look for a friend that has the same CD and make a copy. That would be cool since you have your own key to use for it. Getting disk copies form the 'net or from p2p is dangerous because nefarious people can add files to the installation that can open security holes in your PC.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 9, 2006, 07:41 AM
    As Need said, you should be able to get the drivers from the printer mfg, so you won't need a new printer. You can make backup copies of most software disks without a problem. Software that you downloaded can also be written to disk in their original download form.

If you have commercial programs where you lost or damaged a CD, most vendors will replace them (assuming you registered) at a nominal fee.
    iamarcin Posts: 72, Reputation: 4

Feb 9, 2006, 07:59 AM
    I heard of a guy that copies all cds as soon as he gets them and uses the copy while the oiginal is in a main locked cabinet always

I do sort of the same thing I got a 300 gig external hd and I use nero to make imiges of all cds that are imoirtant emough so that I can bur them later. I save all my music pictures school word files and cd images onto this hd
    abril Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2006, 04:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hello Im Johnny Cash
    Ok... most of you nice people probably arent going to believe a word i say, and i dont blame you one bit. But im going to post my question anyways because somebody might just answer it.

So heres the story: My computer was incredibly low on space, and i unistalled a lot of programs, which means that i didnt keep such great track of a lot of discs. Now that i have a new computer, i want to reinstall all of my old programs. But i cant. The disc that came with my printer is waaaaay too scratched to work, so now i need a new printer. And my Sims 2 disc 1 is just plain gone (i do have the serial code thingy and the other 3 discs, but what good do they do now?). So to make sure that this never happens again, i would like to make backups of all my software. The only problem is-- how??

Is it possible to just copy whole discs? Or do i need certain files? And would it be wrong to download files for the Sims and burn them, since i really did buy the game? If i did that, how would i burn them?? :confused: :confused: :confused:
    As you said, we cannot rely on CDs as they can go scratched, break into pieces or even get misplaced/ stolen. The best option is to subscribe to a reputed online storage service, they keep our data securely in their data centers.

We can retrieve the data whenever required or even share them with our friends and partners. This is the online storage service I use for years, if you are interested then try it with the trail offer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

CD/DVD Discs for backups question [ 6 Answers ]

Hi there, I'm a novice. Could someone please explain to me the difference between CD+RW and CD-RW. In particular what the + and - signs mean. I want to buy some backup discs for my computer and I'm not sure which is best. I have a LG DVD/CD multi recorder DVD/CD rewritable drive. It's an LG...

Question about Backups [ 1 Answers ]

Hello: I have a question regarding doing a backup. I have been asked by a friend of the family to set up a backup device at his business. The business is very small. They have a total of three computers of only which 2 are networked together... (if you want to call that a network.) Anyway,...

Sewer backups into the shower [ 2 Answers ]

This morning the shower was full of raw sewage, the toilets would flush very slowly and there was a loud bang-bang-bang in the pipes. The pipe banging has been going on for a few months most notably at 3a.m. when the water softener is activated. The toilets have clogged several times to the point...

Pc Backups No Server [ 3 Answers ]

At my job we have around 30 pc's running windows xp pro and do not have a file server. Is there any good way to backup the files from these computers even though we don't have a file server.

Making extra backups [ 3 Answers ]

I found a website which explains how to make extra registry backups. A tool for retrieving these backups is included. It's a zipped batch file, with instructions which simply say to unzip it to the root directory. That's where I get confused. What part of the root directory does it go to? I...

View more questions Search