Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    santhoshvasudev Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2008, 01:23 PM
    Spouse exemption in 1040NR
    Hi
    I qualify to file return under 1040 nr sice I dontsatisfy SPT test for 2007.I got married in dec 24th and my wife joined only in jan 6 to us.we both are from india.can I claim spouse exemption as per us india treaty ,since our marriage was in dec 24th 2007 ,even though my wife joined in jan 6 2008

To reply to my query
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 5, 2008, 10:35 AM
    You can file jointly with your wife and you both CHOSE to be treated as resident aliens. This will allow you to claim the $10,700 joint standard deduction plus two $3,400 personal exemption (for yourself and your wife).

The downside is that:
    • you must WAIT to meet the Substantial Test before you can file, which means you must wait until at least 13 May 2008.
    • you must declare ALL 2007 world-wide income.

There are two offsets available, by either claiming a Foreign Tax Credit (Form 1116) or a Foreign Income Exclusion (Form 2555).

Even with the downside, this is probably the best way for you to file.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

,residential status &spouse exemption for non resident alien [ 1 Answers ]

Hii My husband came to us in aug 2004 in F1 visa ,from oct 2006 to oct 2007 he was in OPT status .in oct 2007 he got his H1. From what I understood is he has to file 1040 NR since he doesnot satify SPT 183 days test is that right ? In case we are filing 1040 NR can he claim spouse...

1040NR or 1040EZ and can I (non-resident alien) claim spouse as dependent [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, Need your help in finding the right form to use. I am working for an Indian company and was deputed to our client site at US for work assignment. Me on H1 visa and my wife on H4 visa were there at US from Nov 2006 till mid Feb 2007. We both returned back to work from our India office and...

How to deduct $5k tax treaty exemption from 1040nr [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, While working under OPT in 2007, I got W2 from my emploer recently, not 1040 misc. As a chinese non resident, am I still eligible for the $5k US-CHINA tax treaty exemption? Or the exemption is only eligible for contracting worker which I was not in 2007? If I am eligible, where should I fill...

Tax Exemption for L2A working spouse [ 1 Answers ]

Hi- I am on L1A visa and my spouse is on L2 (dependent visa). Let's say I process her L2 work authorization and she starts working (which gets her issued SSN) and our individual status per Substantial presence test works out as Resident Alien. My queries are as below - Can I claim the same...

Applying for ITIN for spouse while filing taxes & Child tax credit exemption [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am aftab and my wife and kid joined me in 2006, as they are on H4 they are not eligible for a SSN so I need to apply for an ITIN. Please explain the process as to Should I be sending my returns filled in manually along with the application for ITIN for my spouse and kid? Will the...

View more questions Search