Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrfedders Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2008, 01:10 PM
    Burden of proof
    What is the burden of proof the defendant bears when proving his insanity?
    mrfedders Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2008, 01:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mrfedders
    What is the burden of proof the defendant bears when proving his insanity?
    What is the burden of prrof a defendant bears when proving his insanity
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 2, 2008, 04:29 PM
    This is normally a state by state issue, even the meaning of what is insane ( not the actual word normally used) differe by state.

In general at the time of the crime was the person aware it was a crime, were they aware that it was wrong to do, and where they able to make a rational judgement in the crime.
    Also during the trial, they will have to prove they are not able to aid in their own defense.

For example normally a person able to ask this question would not be.
    The person would have to be so unaware that it would be almost obvous they are not capable and their attorney would then make the motions for them.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2008, 05:32 PM
    Hello mr:

In a civil procedure, he'd have to prove he was insane with a preponderance of the evidence.

In a criminal procedure, he'd have to hope that he's believed.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How does burden of proof conflict with the presumption of innocence [ 1 Answers ]

EVIDENCE LAW: hi I wanted to know the circumstances in which the defendant may have to prove his innocence in a criminal case? Is there any protection for the accused under the human right act article 6? Thank you for answering the question. Very much appreciated.

I am a burden, so I am not eating or taking fluids [ 10 Answers ]

I am 53, I am diabled, but I have no car, false teeth that need repacing and my family will not help enough, and I am not blaming them, to help me get either, I have become Completely ISOLATED. I am dependent on the family that will help, though they make it clear they help begrudgingly, they never...

I am a burden, so I am refusing food and water [ 13 Answers ]

I am 53, I am diabled, but I have no car, false teeth that need repacing and my family will not help enough, and I am not blaming them, to help me get either, I have become Completely ISOLATED. I am dependent on the family that will help, though they make it clear they help begrudgingly, they never...

Suddenly feeling like nothing but a burden [ 4 Answers ]

Troubles with my mother. I've been having difficulty in finding the right career for me. Currently I'm working as a nurse but I hate it, I'd want to move into either the operating theatre or working at the vets. I'm only 22 so I figured that I still had time to find my niche in the working world....

Financial Burden in Missouri [ 3 Answers ]

We received a notification of Levy/Garnishment in the State of Missouri just this week. Today, I discovered that my checking account has already been hit with the garnishment, putting us in a terrible financial burden. I had been making payments on the amount we owed, and I also called to see...

View more questions Search