Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    IamJung2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2008, 12:58 PM
    Sewage pump/ejector pump
    My sewage/ejector pump sometimes won't shut itself off. It has gradually gotten worse as time goes by. What could be causing this? Any suggestions appreciated.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 2, 2008, 02:34 PM
    Check the float mechanism to insure that its is not getting hung up on something.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 2, 2008, 04:27 PM
    Hi guys:

Iamjung... does your pump system have 1 or 2 cords (1 plugs into the back of the other)?

If 2 cords, then may have a "PILL" type float mechanism that is pretty famous for failing over time. It could be getting caught up on something like Harold suggested. It could also have let some water into float mechanism and begun to rot from the inside out. I have replaced many of these over the years.

If have 2 cords, best way to check this is to set water flowing into pit just until pump turns on and pumps pit empty... then shut water flow, disconnect the power supply to pump and float mechanism, disconnect the pump from the check valve (loosen bottom half only! ) and open up ejector pit (1 side of cover only if possible).

Now, pull that pump out of pit, let it drain itself of water a bit... then carefully plug the pump and the float mechanism back in together... then tilt the pill switch up and down... just like you can picture it working in full basin (on) to empty basin (off).

If fails, or sticks and stays on... found/confirmed the problem. Just go to supply house and they should have a replacement float for you. Reverse steps, install as last installed and should be set.

If this is a single cord sump pump, then maybe that float mechanism at the sump has failed for whatever reason... steps are pretty much the same to check/confirm float arm/mechanism is at fault.

Get back to us with any more questions... Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewage Ejector Pump in a Basement [ 9 Answers ]

Hello all I am new to this board so forgive me if this has already been asked. I am in the process of adding a basement to our basement. We have a septic system with the discharge pipe about 3 feet above the floor. Several questions. I want to add a Toilet, sink and tub. What all has to be vented....

Sewage Smell in Finished Basement with Ejector Pump [ 6 Answers ]

We have a sewage smell in our basement that we finished and added a bathroom. It has an ejector pump and we have sealed off the crock top with caulk and wax. The smell is not all the time and is very inconsistent. We have city sewage. We have tried everything with not luck. The only thing that we...

Sewage ejector pump [ 2 Answers ]

I had a home built over 2 years ago. We have a full finished basement with a bathroom and a laundry room. The builders installed an ejector pump to get the waste up to the street sewage line, and we have had problem after problem with it. 3 times over the past 2 years, the pump has been...

Sewage ejector pump [ 5 Answers ]

I think my sewage ejector pump may be bad. The fuse for the pump popped and when I re-set the breaker, the ejector pump turns on for several seconds and then the breaker pops again. Does that mean the pump is gone bad or do I have an electrical problem.

Ejector Pump? [ 3 Answers ]

We just bought a new house that has an ejector pump. I don't know anything about them and have a few questions for anyone with knowledge on the subject: Can you use a standard kitchen garbage disposal with ejector pumps? Can you flush baby wipes or feminine products? How often do the...

View more questions Search