Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kstew13 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2008, 11:46 AM
    Lost 401k
    My question is: where can I get help in locating an old 401k plan from a company that has sinced changed names twice and I believe finally went under.. at the time of me leaving my position I was totally naïve about my 401kplan... the only thing I knew was that I was giving the 5% contribution from my paycheck. I worked for that company for only 3 years, should I even try to find out if there is money sitting somewhere? I did attempt to go online but got the run around on whom I would need to speak to... my current employer took the time to explain to us exactly what the purpose of a 401k plan was and although I am still confused about some issues I now at least keep track of my funds and quarterly statements... please help:confused:
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 2, 2008, 12:39 PM
    Don't just give up on finding your old 401(k) - these are your assets and you don't want to just lose 3 years worth of savings.

First suggestion is to try and dig up any old statements the administrator of the plan sent you. They should send a statement to you at least quarterly. Have you looked through all your old financial records?

Second suggestion is call your old boss or any old colleagues and ask them what happened to the 401(k) plan.

Third - most plans are required to file an annual "Form 5500" with the U.S. Government. You can search these 5500's for the name of your former employer at free websites like Welcome to freeErisa.com!. If you can find a Form 5500 on an old plan, it will have contact information.

The final suggestion is go online and search for abandoned property in the state you lived in at the time. If you have not been receiving statements from the 401(k) plan administrator they may now consider you lost, and by law they would have turned your assets over to the state. Every state has a program to try to reunite people with their lost assets. You can do a Google search using the name of your state and "unclaimed property" and that should take you to a web site with information on how to track it down.
    sofia1226 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2008, 08:23 AM
    Go to this site. www.osc.stateny.us it is a legitimate site for the state comptrollers office. When you get to the site click on unclaimed funds. Put in your last name first and then your first name. If you want you can try it all different ways, just your last name, then it brings up everyone, everywhere with that last name that is owed money. If you wnt to narrow it down put your fist and last name and the city you live, that will narrow it down. I usually check all, just to see if anyone i know has money coming to them. If you do not have any it will say no one with that name has been found, if it finds the name, scroll down and it will tell you where it from, just click on the account # that is there and print out the form it tells you to. Fill it out and send it back with the proper id that they ask for. It is free it does not cost you anything, this is a real legal state site. Good luck sophia
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 21, 2008, 08:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sofia1226
    GO TO THIS SITE. www.osc.stateny.us
    First please don't type in all caps. While that is a good site for NY residents, there is no indication the OP was from NY.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lost 401k [ 1 Answers ]

How do I find a lost 401k from old job

Lost 401k [ 1 Answers ]

How do I find lost 401k from my previous employers?

401k lost [ 2 Answers ]

I had a 401k at another job I was out of work 4 about a year when I got my new job got full time I tried 2 roll my 401k over 2 my new retirement plan now its been about 5 years guardian corporation the 1 I was through said the state took it is there any way I can get it back there was a lot of...

Lost 401K [ 1 Answers ]

How do I find old 401K. From my other Jobs in the past?

I lost my 401K [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I had a 401K with my first Job out of college in 2002. 9months later the company unexpectedly went out of business. I always thought I would get info on the 401k in the mail, but nothing ever came and I don't even remember what company they set it up with. Is there anyway to look it up?

View more questions Search