Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DIYGirl08 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2008, 10:55 AM
    Bath Light/Fan Wiring
    Hello.

I am attempting to switch a double-switch in a single gang box that controls the light and fan in my bathroon to 2 single switches in a double gang box. There are 2 sets of wires coming into the box. One has a black, white and ground. The other has a black, white, ground and red. When I removed the double switch, I discovered that the 2 ground wires were wrapped together and the 2 black wires were nutted together. The 2 whites were attached to the left side of the switch and the red was on the right. Everyone I have spoken with says that having the two blacks together is unusual and advised that I test the wires. I did, and the whites show neutral and the blacks show hot. However, the only way to get the light to work is to have the whites together.

I have tried every configuration that I can think of (even drew pictures so I could remember what I'd done) and I cannot get the light and fan to work properly. I can get the light to work, but not the fan. Or the light and the fan will work from one switch but they are dull. I even had it where the switch was off and I still had light and fan. I am at a loss. Any advice would be appreciated. I would like to fix it without having to incur the expense of an electrician.

Thanks!
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Apr 2, 2008, 11:00 AM
    It sounds as if they were switching the neutral.

Is there a way you can go into the fan/light and tell us what is hooked to what?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Apr 2, 2008, 11:29 AM
    Good afternoon,

Switches only carry power, there is no neutral return from a switch.

More than likely you are looking at two switch loops being supplied by either an overhead circuit or by power being brought to the switches themselves.

Do you know what the connection arrangements are in the ceiling?

I believe that you will need to pull two #14/2 AWG from the overhead connection into your wall switch gang box. Also, I would remove the #14/3 (Black. Red, White and ground) from the overhead to the wall).

In fact, I would use the 14/3 that I am removing to pull a doubled over 14/2 cable to the wall outlet. When you get the new wire over to the wall, leave about 6 inches outside and then cut the wire where you bent it over so that now you have two cables from the overhead to the wall.

Turn the breaker off that feeds the overhead! At the overhead, I would pigtail the three Blacks together and cap them with a wire nut.

Back at the wall, SW#1 Strip back the insulation on the black wire and attach the black to the bottom of SW1. Then strip back the insulation on the White wire that is paired with the Black wire and attach that white wire to the top of the switch. Also, place a small band of black around the white insulation to flag this conductor as a Hot conductor. Use the same process for SW2.

Back at the overhead, take one of the white wires coming up from the switches and place a small band of black tape on it then connect it to the fan or light conductors. Follow the same process for the second white conductor from the switches. Connect the White conductor from the fan and light package to the White wire from the supply pair. Connect all grounds together in the overhead and also at the wall switches.

Turn the circuit breaker back on and you should be finished. Well, in theory anyway. Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing Old Bath Light/Fan with New. [ 3 Answers ]

I am replacing an old batroom light fan with new one. Everything seemed fine until I had to do the wiring, I have 2 wall switches on a single plack, One switch is for the light above the lavatory and for the ceiling light, The other switch was only for the fan. The old light/fan wiring had...

Are bath fan/light units wired to 2 switches? [ 3 Answers ]

In finishing my basement I'm adding a bathroom that will have wall mounted lights over the vanity/lav and a fan/light combo fixture closer to the shower. Is it common to wire the lights on both fixtures to one switch and the fan to another even though the fan/light combo is one unit? In other...

Recommendations - Bath Shower Light & Heater/Vent Fan [ 3 Answers ]

I’m planning a major bathroom remodel in a 40 year-old house. The current bath has a tub/shower. I plan to remove the tub and have a walk-in tiled shower installed. I plan to remove the current built-in lavatory cabinet and use a free-standing furniture-type lavatory cabinet. The current tub/shower...

Light and bath fan on one switch [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I need a little help. I want the bath fan and light to opperate on one switch. I ran the power to the light and have the fan connected at the light. Then I ran the switch to the light.my problem is when I turn the light on, the light is very dim and the fan is at half speed. What am I doing...

Hampton Bay Bath Light Fixture - Not Fan related [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My Hampton Bay bath light fixture recently started to act up. It has 3 bulbs and when switched on, one bulb would go off for a minute or so then come back on. It does this on and off. I rewired the connectors and then a different bulb would have the problem. I replaced all the bulbs so it's...

View more questions Search