Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tweetygirl06 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2006, 10:07 PM
    Roommate issue
    I have a roommate who recently is becoming difficult to live with and that's putting it mildly (long story which I won't get into right now. I lived in the apartment originally with my mother and grandmother and when they passed away (my grandmother first in '97 and my mother in 2000), I needed a roommate. When my current roommate moved in, a new lease was filled out with both of us, making the original one invalid. I recently found out that if he ever causes problems with his temper, then both of us can get evicted even though we're not married or a "couple"... strictly roommates. Until I can afford to move out voluntarily is there a way to protect myself in case this happens? And is there a way for either me or management to just get him out legally and I stay where I'm at?
    Thanks
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2006, 06:22 AM
    The short answer: No. Unfortunately, I see problems like this many times a year.

If he will not move out voluntarily, the best you can hope for is to give proper notice that you are moving - and the landlord releasing you from the Lease.

Are you two on a month-to-month at this point?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 9, 2006, 08:24 AM
    Hello, actually unless he will leave on his own, or agree to let you leave, you are both stuck to pay the lease. If you just moved out, he can still expect you to pay your part of the lease since you are legally on the lease.

Also if he caused a large amount of damage, while you can sue him, the landlord can still hold both of your responsbile since both of you are on the lease.
    tweetygirl06 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2006, 04:15 PM
    That's what I thought... it is a month to month lease, it's not locked into a time frame like a year or anything like that... so like if I move, then all I need to do is give a 30 day notice with the manager. Thanks for the input!
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2006, 04:24 PM
    Remember, though: Unless your landlord agrees to release you from the lease, then you'll remain responsible.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 9, 2006, 04:28 PM
    Thus is the trouble, it is not just you that has to give notice, you and your room mate are "both" jointly on the lease. You will also have to give him a 30 day notice that you are moving out.

So you have to give both the landowner notice, since you are moving out on the rental ( if your roommate stays, you will not get any deposit back, since he is still living there..

And you will have to give your roommate notice, since you have agreed to share the rent with him.

Do it in writing, get proof of delivery if possible, that way they can't saylatter you never told them.

Some little buzz in the back of my mind that I am forgetting something, anyone else think of what else he needs to do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I Want The Roommate To Leave! [ 8 Answers ]

I live in the state of virginia and have a verbal agreement with a guy who is renting out my spare room. I never had him sign a lease agreement. He is just a roommate. Now I want him to leave. He is behind on his rent. His dog uses my house as it's own toilet. I walk through my front door and slip...

I am a new roommate and need help [ 5 Answers ]

My son and I moved from another state to TN. My boyfriend moved to TN. 2 months prior to us coming here. He had moved in with his roommate/tenant, which they have been friends for many years. The lease is in the roommate/tenant name. The roommate/tenant offered my son and I to come stay with them...

My cat IS on the lease but my roommate wants it gone! [ 20 Answers ]

I just moved into an apt 3 weeks ago. It's a 2bdrm roommate situation. The landlord let the other roommate advertise and choose the person she would be living with (me!). Her ad said "pets are allowed but need to be discussed." We discussed my cat and how attached I am and that I would only take...

Roommate needs to go [ 3 Answers ]

I have a roommate that has worn out his welcome with both myself and the landlord.I want him gone yesterday.We have lived in the house for three months (He moved in 15 days after me) And he has paid only one month rent.I live in Washington state and can't get anyone to give me some advice on how to...

Roommate obligation [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question. My daughter is living in Seattle in an apartment that she shares with another woman. They had a one year lease, which ran out in September of last year.They decided to stay in the apartment together, while on a month to month lease plan with the landlord. The problem is...

View more questions Search