Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    boandabby Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2008, 09:00 AM
    Can I claim my parents-in-law as dependents
    Hi,

My parents came to visit us from a foreign country. They stayed with us from June 2006 to May 2007.

My wife and I are US permanent residency and are filling as joint return. I am wondering whether I can claim as my dependents when I file my tax return.
    They are not US citizens or permanent resident.

Thank you very much,

Bo
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 2, 2008, 09:13 AM
    They came as guests, did they not. Dependents claimed on your income tax are individuals who are completely dependent and live under your roof, as children do. Children are dependents. Adults are not.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 2, 2008, 10:13 AM
    A dependent must be U.S. citizen or resident.
    Even we assume that they stayed in 2006 for over 183 days, for 2006 they were Dual Status.
    For 2007 also, they were dual status.
    boandabby Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2008, 11:41 PM
    Thank you very much for you answer. From"substantial presence test", they are resident for purpose. Am I correct? What do you mean by "dual status"? Thank you very much for your suggestions.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 7, 2008, 01:33 AM
    For the year you enter the U.S. or leave the U.S. you are Dual status.
    The year you enter, you are non-resident in the beginning of the year and resident in the end on the year.

A dependent can be your qualifying child or qualifying relative. Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: Requirements for claiming a dependent

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1 with family not in US to claim as dependents [ 15 Answers ]

Hi, I am an H1B, I came here in US June 2007, I have wife and kids in the philippines, I have apply them for H4 but still pending. Can I claim them as my dependents? If yes, what are the documents I need to do that. Thanks, Reyn

Claiming Parents as Dependents for 2008 Tax file [ 1 Answers ]

My Spouse and I would stay in US for 200 days in 2008. My parents are on a tourist Visa here and would stay for 100 days. Can I claim them as dependents in my 2008 Tax file? Thanks in advance

Want to claim parents from India as dependents [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have read many posts on this website for claiming parents as dependents for tax filing in U.S. I want to present my case since I am not able to conclude whether I can claim my parents or not: 1) I am an Indian Citizen working on H1B in U.S. I am single -unmarried yet and I need to file...

Can I claim my parents as dependents on my tax return [ 2 Answers ]

I am a H1 holder. My parents came to visit me from China since last October. Is it possible for me to claim them as dependents on my 2007 tax return?

Can visiting parents be claimed as dependents [ 9 Answers ]

Can parents on visitor visa lived in usa for 170 days in yr 2006 be claimed as dependent for yr 2006 If yes now can I sumit their form w-7 application for itin along with my form 1040 in April 2007 if they are back to india currently?

View more questions Search