Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dak11 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2008, 07:57 AM
    401K vesting
    I have a question about 401K vesting.

I work for a company that matches up to 6% and has vesting plateaus similar to the following.

Year 1-3 - 20%
    4-5 - 40%
    6-7 60%
    8-9 80%
    10+ 100%

I think I'm a little confused about the vesting part.

I was under the impression that the company matches 100% all the time sort of like an escrow but only adds the % you have vested into your account until you become more vested. As you become more vested they add the additional money from the escrow from the previous years.

For example, when I go from year 3 (20%) to year 4 (40%) I was expecting to receive the additional 20% of their match from year 1-3 they held in escrow but that didn't happen.

Do I have this process wrong cause it seems that my company is only matching the % of the match each year regardless to what was put in previously?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 2, 2008, 09:50 AM
    My company has a similar vesting plan. The way it works for us is that the company contributes their 6% into the account each month. These amounts are not held in some escrow account - they are actually invested each month in the account and grow (or shrink) with the market just as our own investments do. However, the plan administrator keeps track of how much of the investments and their earnings are due to my contributions and how much is due to the company's contributions. So there isn't some big lump sum that comes to the account at the year 4 mark, but rather some is added with each paycheck. The vesting bit simply means that if you leave the company after only, say, 4 years, you will only be allowed to take 40% of the company match and its earnings with you. But if you look at an account statement today you should see that all your contributions and all of the company's contributions are all accounted for, even if the company's portion is not yet fully vested.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k loan and pulling momey out of a 401k to pay the loan off [ 2 Answers ]

I have just turned 591/2 and have a 5,000 dollar loan from my 401k... can I withdraw monies to pay this loan off... and how much will I be taxed if I do? Mickey Huddleston

Tenant in Common Vesting [ 1 Answers ]

I read your article with interest. I am a senior citizen on a low, fixed income, a CHP widow's pension. I have looked into my mother's assets. Her home's deed is vested: Her Name, Tenant-in-Common, and Her Grand daugher's Name, Joint Tenancy. There is no percentages written in the vesting. Do I...

401K or Roth 401K [ 3 Answers ]

Hai, I am an Indian, presently working for a USA company. I will be in US for next 2-3 years and then I will return back to my country. My employer gave the option to enroll for 401K plan or Roth 401k or a combination of both. And the employer matches my contribution at the rate of 50cents on a...

401K Vesting when employed twice @ same company [ 2 Answers ]

I was employeed with a company from 1993-2000 and again from 2000-2003. Both times I participated in the 401K program, and left my money in the program. I recently received a statement indicating that I was only 60% vested. Shouldn't I be 100% vested since I have over 5 yrs total work tenure with...

401k Vesting [ 3 Answers ]

Been with employer 12 years but employer changes 401k plans every 5 or 6 years and sets vesting schedule at 10 years. At the start of each new plan all employees are set at 0% invested, therefore no one has ever been vested. We got a new plan again last year so I'm not vested at all, again. Is...

View more questions Search