Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lskoester Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2008, 06:52 AM
    3 Layers of Vinyl, bottom is Asbestos-Options?
    Hi, In my upstairs bathroom, wood subfloor, there are currently 3 layers of vinyl flooring, the bottom layer is asbestos (tested). I do not want to have to remove this layer. I can remove the top 2 layers without disturbing the adhesion of the asbestos layer. I want new ceramic tile. Can I install wonderboard, or concrete board (or whatever it is called) THEN the ceramic tile? Will this be firm enough to stop the floor from flexing and breaking the tile? Also what is the base floor concrete board actually called so I buy the right one? Thanks!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 2, 2008, 08:30 AM
    Here is the easy answer re: what the base is called. My favorite product is called Hardiebacker made by the James Hardie Company. Another similar product is called Wonderboard. I prefer Hardiebacker, both get glued and screwed to the sub fllor prior to tiling. Now lets look at you 3 layers. You can take the top layer, #3, off without an issue, but #2 needs to stay if it is glued to the 1st layer. If #2 is not glued then you can take it up without making the asbestos become friable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Skin layers [ 1 Answers ]

What are the layers of the skin?? :confused: This is a question on an exam I have next week so I hope someone can help me out!! :eek:

20 layers of paint! [ 6 Answers ]

Purchased a 100 yr. old home... need to save $ with DIY projects... does anyone have a recommendation of the absolute best product to remove some 20 layers of paint on bannisters/doors/frames? Thanks a bunch.:

Asbestos? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm looking into replacing my wood siding on my house (Chicago)that was built in 1956. I was going to strip off the old and put some new siding up BUT on further inspection I noticed a drywall type insulation between the plywood and the siding. It's about a 1/2 in thick and it looks like drywall...

Layers [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm wondering if it is possible to centre a layer according to the size of the browsers window like a centre table would. Many Thanks, John

View more questions Search