Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Becca1025 Posts: 422, Reputation: 45

Apr 1, 2008, 07:06 PM
    Dog training
    So we took in a lost dog and had put up flyers and ads everywhere to see if his family would contact us. It's been three months so we've decided we are going to keep him. He looks pretty young (probably under a year) and he likes to tear things up and jump on people. If it weren't for that he's a very good dog. He lets me know when he needs to go to the bathroom, is great when going for walks, he doesn't jump on furniture etc. It's just the jumping on people and tearing things up that is driving us crazy. I have never trained a dog before so if someone could give me a link, a book suggestion, or even tell me how to train him to not do those things. It would be greatly appreciated. We looked into classes, but the prices are ridiculous. He's a border collie if that matters any.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2008, 07:25 PM
    Stop your dog from Jumping, Training your dog not to jump See if this will help you out with the jumping. This is something that has to be done consistently.
    The tearing things up if it is when he is alone leave him with a kong with frozen peanutbutter. I saw a recipe of mashed dog food a little peanut butter and a little water to form a paste and then they stuffed it in the kong and froze it( this was to reduce the calories from the p.butter) Also if he is teraing up things when you leave You are not supposed to tell him good bye or make a big deal of it when you leave or when you come back. Separation Anxiety, My dog has Separation Anxiety

I hope these links help you out. Ps it is very nice of you to keep the dog, border collies are very smart dogs and really need to be exercised and played with. It would do you good to read about them even though every dog of that breed is not alike it will give you good insight of some of their behaviors.
    Becca1025 Posts: 422, Reputation: 45

Apr 1, 2008, 08:43 PM
    I am a major softy, there's a reason why I never go to pet stores (with pets) or the animal humane association. I would not leave empty handed. I get attached quickly and after a day with this dog, I got attached.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2008, 06:05 AM
    Becca do not try the kongs if you can not trust your dogs to behave with them. YOu do not want a war to break out and the dogs home alone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Training my dog [ 2 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone can provide me with any good sites so I can read about training my dog? He is only a year old and from my understanding it's better to start when they are young. I just won't to make sure I do it the right way rather then the wrong way.

Dog Training [ 3 Answers ]

How do I train a 10 year old dachshund not to go to the bathroom in the house?

Dog Training [ 5 Answers ]

I was just wondering how long it would take a 10 month old pomeranian to learn simple commands such as sit, stay etc.

House training dog [ 5 Answers ]

We have a 3 year old dog, Dalmation/Border Collie mix. He has been an outside dog all his life, we want to bring him inside. What is the best way to house train this dog? Thank you.

View more questions Search