Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rzguti Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2008, 05:59 PM
    Internet access to my Playstation 3
    I have cable internet in my house. My computer is connected in one room but my Playstation is in another. If I buy a cable modem, will it work to provide internet access to my Playstation 3 from any cable outlet in my house?
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2008, 06:02 PM
    Just a suggestion but if the ps can connect wirelessly that might be easier,

Apr 1, 2008, 07:24 PM
    I know that is an option but if I buy a modem which could be cheaper, would that work from any cable outlet in my house? If not, then I'll have to buy a wireless router. Just wondering.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2008, 01:58 PM
    If you have cable internet you already have a modem... you can't install a second, you can either but a wired router and run a network cable to your computer and ps3 or get a wireless router as mentionned above.
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Apr 10, 2008, 11:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowtax4eva
    if you have cable internet you already have a modem... you can't install a second, you can either but a wired router and run a network cable to your computer and ps3 or get a wireless router as mentionned above.
    Absolutely correct.

You also have the option to take the cable modem off the computer and move it by the PS, if there is a cable jack that's actually hooked up and working... but that's not usually a good idea. Cable modem require about -10 to 10 dbmv of signal to work properly, so the cable jack it's on now is probably right around that strength. If the jack you move it to is too high or low, you won't get good quality access to the internet, or any at all.

Apr 10, 2008, 03:52 PM
    Thank you for all of your help guys. : )
    theecho Posts: 59, Reputation: 9

Dec 15, 2008, 08:43 AM
    If you would like to have multiple modems at a certain residance it is definitely possible. There may be extra fees associated however it is possible with paying for 2 lines of service.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I cannot access to internet but the internet connection is good [ 10 Answers ]

Hi there, I have a problem, and I have no clue about it. I have a wireless internet connection and I don't know what happened but I can not access to the internet. The wireless connection is fine, there is the green icon saying that the signal is perfect, but when I open the internet...

Laptop internet access [ 1 Answers ]

OK, so I just bought a dell inspiron 1721 and have no internet access with it. The owner's manual tells me that, in order to get access to the net, I need an "express card". OK, I've got that. But I've also had people tell me that I need a router too. Forgive me, but I know absolutely nothing about...

Can't Access Internet explorer [ 5 Answers ]

Hi: When I try access Internet Explorer I get the following error message " The required lookup key was not found in any activation context" I am running Windows XP. Can't seem to fiond a fix on the net, found lots of the sam question. Any Help would be appreciated. Regards Randy...

Internet access [ 9 Answers ]

Hi AOL v9 using xp does not install files to connect to service when requested No AOL browser visible Ta Norm

Internet access [ 1 Answers ]

I have a small network of 8 computers running Windows XP home edition and connected to the internet using my telephone company's DSL service. Each computer has an individual's e-mail account using Outlook Express so I need internet connection for this function. What I want to do is prevent certain...

View more questions Search