Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wolfgangqpublic Posts: 189, Reputation: 29
    -

Apr 1, 2008, 02:13 PM
    Live and work in NY - employer reported my wages to CA
    Hello,

I live and work in NY for a company based out in California (they have an office in NYC).
    They reported my taxes to the California state (on my W-2). I understand I have to file my taxes for the NY state but would I need to do it also for California as a non-resident?

Thank you for your answer.

Jack
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 1, 2008, 02:28 PM
    If you live and work in NY then you owe NY income taxes, and you do not owe CA any income taxes at all. Now, if your company withheld taxes only for CA, you have a bit of a problem. When you do your NY tax return you will find that you owe them quite a bit of money, since nothing was ever withheld for them. The good news is that you should get all your money back from CA, but you will have to file a non-resident return with them, and it will probably take several weeks to get your refund. So you will have to come up with the cash for your NY taxes on your own in order to get it in by April 15 - there's no way to get CA t reimburse NY directly.

Be sure to get with your payroll department to fix this, so they withhold money from your paycheck for NY, not CA. If they don't get this straightened out you could be liable in 2008 for an underpayment penalty to NY.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Employer threatening to dock wages. [ 6 Answers ]

My employer recently sent out a mass e-mail threatening to dock wages if the Dress Code is not adhered to, at the rate of 50 cents per hour for 30 days. They send out secret shoppers and evidently are willing to take the word of the secret shopper as truth. Is this legal? Thanks

Determining to which sate the wages should be reported [ 3 Answers ]

I work in NJ on contract and live in NJ but my employer is in NC. I pay NC taxes and not paying NJ taxes. Is it OK?

Live in Wy. Employer in Ca. Work in several states [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Wyoming which has no state income tax. My employer is based in California. I work at different sites in California, Arizona, and Nevada. (also no state tax) My employer takes California state taxes out no matter where I work. What is my best option when filing taxes at the years end and...

Employer in VA. Work in MA. Live in NH. Whom I should pay taxes. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I work as a contractor in MA on behalf of my employer who is based in VA. I live in NH. I receive pay check from VA based company for the work performed at their client's office in MA. I live in NH. To which state(s) I should pay taxes to?

View more questions Search