Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    weekendplumber Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2008, 02:12 PM
    Replace 1.5" galvanized steel (male threads) to 4" cast iron stack
    I need to replace a drain line from an old double cast iron kitchen sink. The existing pipe is 1.5" galvanized steel which threads directly into female threads on a 4" cast iron stack. The male threads of the galvanized pipe broke off in the cast iron.

I'm guessing the easiest solution is to replumb with PVC, How do I attach the PVC to the existing hole in the cast iron?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 1, 2008, 04:13 PM
    Hey weekend:

Did you get the male thread out of the female fitting off stack?

If so, then should just need a threaded PVC male adapter, some tefon tape and pvc pipe/fittings/cement/primer, etc. to finish job.

If threads still broken off in cast iron the you will need to get a little creative here. You may just need to take an awl tool and pick away at threads... but most likely you will need to take a sawzall and a bi-metal sawzall blade and just cut the pipe threads to point that cuts threads of pipe, but not threads of cast iron fitting.

Here, you use sawzall to cut just to the point where cut meets threads... slightly less, in fact. Then cut another cut same as last about 1 inch away from other cut. Then take screwdriver and hit it with a hammer to relaeas the piece you just cut out. Because of threads,should just pop out.. then can collapse reat of pipe and teflon up a new male adapter and run pvc from there. Hopefully, that made sense.

Let me know what you think. Did I understand your question.. Talk later... Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tub Drain -- 1 1/2"pvc to 4" cast iron with hub [ 12 Answers ]

Hi . . . I'm replacing my old cast iron tub with a whirlpool tub. The old drain was a 1 1/2" brass tube tucked into a 4" cast iron drain pipe (with hub), packed with what might be oakum. The seal was fibrous and waxy when I cleaned out the drain, and that's not MY hair :) What's the best way...

Adding a PVC "Y" to a underground Cast iron pipe [ 1 Answers ]

I have a house built in 1962. The cast iron waste pipe runs under the concrete slab in the basement. I have already dug and confirmed the location I want to cut a section out of the pipe and install a "Y" connector and run new plastic waste pipes to a new bath. I have seen PVC connectors that...

Cast Iron: plug stuck in 3" x 1.5" Tee [ 5 Answers ]

Hey there! I've got a 3" cast iron soil stack, with a 1 1/2" Tee fitting which has a plug in it. There's some goop at the joint, it's pretty hard. Not quite JB-weld hard, but hard. It's beige colored. There's not a lot of room in the space, but I've gotten an 18" pipe wrench on it and i...

Can I replace part of my cast iron sewer stack. [ 3 Answers ]

I have a hopefully not too stupid question about replacing part of my cast iron sewer stack. I have a 50+ year old house with roots in my sewer pipe causing some backup thought the basement drain. I used root killer in the drain and several weeks later had a mat of small roots flush back up...

PVC to Cast iron "Speed bump" [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all, I call this thread the speed bump because when I dug out my basement floor to replace an upstream section of cast iron pipe with new pvc pipe for a bathroom and to move my stack, the downstream attachemtn to the cast iron pipe is now giving me some mild trouble. The cross section of...

View more questions Search