Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dr Watson Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2008, 09:48 AM
    Weight gain and quitting smoking.
    Hi, I realize this is probably a popular questtion, but last November I quit smoking after 30+ years. In the last 4 months I have gained about 25 extra pounds and have not been able to lose it.

Before I quit smoking I had been working out about 3 times a week at the Y, and had lost 18 lbs to about 248. My idea was by quitting smoking I could increase my workout load and get down the 235 I am looking for, but things backfired.

Why is it that I could lose weight before I quit, but not now? I am on a calorie counting nutrition program and am working out (walking, jogging, weights) at the Ymca about 2/3 times a week... but to no avail.

Any advice?
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2008, 10:34 AM
    Most people justify smoking as a way to lose weight -- but fail to see the problem

When you hear someone with smokers cough -- you know it can't be healthy

Your throat is irratated -- this is the tip of the iceburg -- lungs are the serious problem

All parts of your body are affected -- starved for oxygen -- brain, heart, all organs

Your lungs are being tarred like the roof on a building -- if your'e smart you quit

When people get older they pay for the bad things they do to their body

Since you quit your body is healthier -- food probably tastes better

Just don't give up -- eat the right food -- drink water and exercise

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Quitting smoking [ 11 Answers ]

Time to share all of your tips and techniques. I am a 19 year addict and my husband is a 10 year addict. We both are quitting together, cold turkey. Any suggestions?? Hypatia:confused:

Quitting smoking [ 5 Answers ]

I have quit smoking 6 weeks ago and now have severe night sweats, every night. Is this normal? Thank you

Quitting Smoking? [ 11 Answers ]

Okay so, I want to quit smoking, the thing is, I smoke when I am bored, so to quit smoking I would need to find soemthing else to do with my hands instead of smoking. A friend of mine, she quit smoking and now she eats when she is bored. I don't want to eat all the time... I think I need a hobby...

Hypnosis for quitting smoking [ 11 Answers ]

I am thinking of trying hypnosis to quit smoking. Has anybody tried it, or had it work for them. I'm going to go to a session in July to see what it's all about. I want to quit smoking and I've heard that there are a lot of things to help, I think that to change your behaviour you have to change...

Quitting Smoking and its associated Drama [ 25 Answers ]

Hi, I wasn't quite sure where exactly to post this question so I took the liberty of reasoning that surely since it regards my health then why not in this section. I am a caucasian male in his late twenties who has,lets say, sometimes succumbed to lifes guilty pleasures and is noticing a effect...

View more questions Search