Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HelenAg Posts: 69, Reputation: 3

Apr 1, 2008, 08:13 AM
    Smoking cessation
    Is anyone out there quitting smoking and having a rough time? I am into my 14th day and have slipped a couple times due to increased cravings. I am chewing the gum and wearing the patch which I know you aren't supposed to do both. Anyway, if there is anyone out there who can share the pain with me, I'd appreciate it. What is helping you? I try to keep my quitting reasons in front of me: money saved, health, second hand smoke, but it is overwhelmed by urges to smoke. Look forward to hearing from some folks. Thanks.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2008, 02:15 AM
    Putting the nicotine into your system with gum and the patch should ease the physical cravings. I suspect that your addiction is behavioral. Like getting in the car and lighting up. Smoking when you are bored or stressed. It gives us something to do. So, find other outlets for your restlessness. Get those butts out of reach. And do not buy any.

A great mantra I've heard worked for several is: "I am such a lucky non-smoker. I am so grateful. Finding other things to do other than smoke has become my obsession."
    naprah Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2008, 06:06 AM
    HI HelenAG! I'm a member of the American Lung . I joined their FFS online program for help quitting smoking and it has been great. They have message boards where you can express yourself and talk with others in the same boat, modules you can work with tips and ideas, and much more. What's nice is everyone there is trying to quit smoking and we all help each other out. Here is the site where you can join and what's also GREAT its all FREE. Freedom From Smoking® Online - American Lung Association site .
    carole1017 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2008, 02:52 PM
    Hello! I smoked for 40 years and finally got just plain scared. I started Chantix last August and haven't smoked since. The things you read about Chantix are wrong... people that commit suicide or go crazy who take Chantix are rare and more than likely already had a severe problem in that direction. Chantix kept my brain from thinking about smoking. I took it for 3 months. The hardest part wasn't the addiction but the habit (wanting a cigarette when something really good or bad has happened, taking a break from yard work, etc.). But I was determined and made it. I'm so proud of myself and feel 1,000 % better. My insurance paid for it (all but $35 a month). Try it... it really can't hurt and can save your life.
    Good luck!
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2008, 06:58 PM
    The best advice I can give you is to not throw in the towel if you have a setback occasionally. I have known a lot of people who quit, slipped and ahd one cigarette and said well that's it I back on cigs. Doesn't have to be. Good luck!
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2008, 04:01 PM
    I had a 2 1/2 pack a day habit, and I quit cold turkey in 1983.

Guess what, if you made it 2 weeks, you have the chemical addiction beat.

I think it is important to change your thinking... I pictured myself like I was before I became a smoker and how much more I liked that person. It works. In your mind go back and picture yourself when your were young and pretty and non-smoking. Get rid of stuff in your life that triggers smoking... take up walking every day in place of smoking. The new healthy you!

I haven't had a cigarette since 1983. You can do it.
    looseendz Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2008, 07:26 AM
    HI, I am on my second week of chantix and I think I am doing pretty good, I have slipped up because my boyfried smokes but When I light it up I do not even want it, I have smoked for 17 years and have tried everything (cold turkey, patches, gum) and nothing has ever worked except chantix. There are some horror stories about chantix but I can honestly say I have had none (My third day I did feel nautious but I did not eat or drink before I took it). If this worked for me it can work for anyone.
    HelenAg Posts: 69, Reputation: 3

Jun 30, 2008, 02:11 PM
    That freedom from smoking online sounds interesting. However, I am back smoking about 1/2 pack a day. My husband doesn't know it and I've kept it from him for at least two months now. I do plan to try again. I just couldn't take the withdrawl pains.
    looseendz Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2008, 06:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by HelenAg
    that freedom from smoking online sounds interesting. However, I am back smoking about 1/2 pack a day. My husband doesn't know it and I've kept it from him for at least two months now. I do plan to try again. I just couldn't take the withdrawl pains.
    Ask your doctor about chantix, you will not even want a cigarette. Good Luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Smoking [ 6 Answers ]

I have given up smoking for a week and I am dying for a fag shall I have one?? Or shall I continue to eat my nails. If so does anyone have a spare hand

Smoking . [ 18 Answers ]

Hi Ino I Have Wrote Aload Of Topics And Shouldn't Attempt All These Things At Once But I Spend So Much Money On Cigs And Im 15 I Need Help Stopping What's The Easyiest Way Possible Please Help , Sorry If This Is In The Wrote Section

I need your help with smoking [ 1646 Answers ]

Well I haven't had a cigi since 8am this morning it was the last one now I've tried on numerous occasions to quit smoking and I'm just not flipping strong enough to do it I always cave in. Now I know there's no easy way to do this and I have to admit boy am I feeling dizzy and funny but I can't...

Smoking [ 21 Answers ]

Is smoking dope every day bad for you? More bad than smoking cigarettes?

View more questions Search