Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kyliew Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2008, 07:37 AM
    Step Parent Adoption
    Okay my daughter was born 6 years ago resulting from a one night stand without knowledge of the father. Very immature on my behalf but nevertheless for having her and raising her. When she was 11 months old I met my future husband whom I married on January 27, 2007, over a year ago. We have been together for almost 5 year and he is the only father figure that my daughter has ever known. My husband and I have a 4 year old son as well and he would like nothing more than to adopt my daughter, change her name and complete our family. He has provided financially, emotionally and taking all measures to make sure she has everything she needs to be happy. He loves her unconditionally and doesn't look at her as other than his only daughter! Can I do this step-parent adoption without a lawyer since there is not father to contact and get rights from?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Apr 1, 2008, 07:52 AM
    You HAD to know who the father was, if you know it was from a one-night stand. Unless your name is Mary?

You must make a good faith attempt to find the father of your daughter, who--after 6 years! --will probably have no problems signing over his rights. But--you never know.

Get a lawyer, do this right. Because if you don't do it right, it CAN be overturned IF the biological father of your daughter shows up one day.
    Unregistered Posts: n/a, Reputation:

Apr 1, 2008, 08:08 AM
    I don't know who the father is, yes it was a mistake on my part but all I know is his first name and I was on vacation. I have admitted that I do not know, there is not much more I can do.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Apr 1, 2008, 08:27 AM
    I would still talk to a lawyer, to be sure of the legalities in your state. You will probably need a lawyer to draw up the adoption papers anyway, so you may as well ask to be sure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Step parent adoption [ 6 Answers ]

My wonderful husband of 2 years wants to adopt my daughter who is almost six. My child was born out of wedlock and the father is on the birth certificate and just started paying child support this year (which is court ordered and was supposed to be paying for 3 years). If her father has never been...

Step Parent Adoption [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I are looking for information on how I can adopt his son. Currently, my husband has joint legal custody, however this will hopefully change to sole custody after our court date at the end of the month. Does the biological mother have to sign off on it? Does she have to stop paying...

Step parent adoption [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all, I have an 8 year old son and my husband wants to adopt him. His real father agrees, he lives in Louisiana, and he lives in North Carolina. Which state do we do this in? And where do I start. Please anyone with an answer, it would be GREATLY appreciated!

Step parent adoption [ 2 Answers ]

A person adopts there spouses child from a previous marriage. If they devorce does the adoptive parent owe child support of does the bio parent that gave up rights owe child support

Step Parent Adoption In Ca [ 2 Answers ]

In the state of California, how does my husband go about adopting my daughter from a previous relationship. My daughter's father would give his consent.

View more questions Search