Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ellen Shampain Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2008, 06:29 AM
    Credit Score Impact of Pay-in-full versus Settle-in-full
    How can I calculate credit score impact (or improvement) when I decided to "pay in full" versus the decision to "settle in full" for old outstanding credit debts? I read it is always better to PAY in full... but am curious to quantify HOW much it helps me in doing that (and considering cash is hard to come by, it is a valid consideration).
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 1, 2008, 06:44 AM
    You can't. The actual formula for calaculating the credit scores is a closely guarded secret (to prevent people from manipulating their scores).
    Loan_Guy Posts: 83, Reputation: 6

Apr 11, 2008, 02:23 PM
    Be very, very careful with this; especially when you say old debts.

Since recent activity has more impact on your score than old activity, you can really hurt yourself. For instance, let's say you have $50 collection from 5 years ago that is coded "collection" on your report. You pay it and now it is coded "paid collection". What happens to your score??

It drops like a rock! Why... two reasons. First, a paid collection hurts only a little less than an open collection... just a few points. But because you updated the "date of last activity" from 5 years ago to now, you could see a 30-50 point drop, depending on what your score was before.

My suggestion. If you are going to pay, negotiate a pay for delete. In other words, I'll pay you the $XXX, but you DELETE the record from my credit report. Always get it in writing from a supervisor FIRST and if they tell you they cannot do that, they are lying!

Best of luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Long discharge drain line versus smaller diamter piple into full 2 [ 1 Answers ]

Apologies in advance for asking another variation of the same question on this forum... Installing a HE washer and want to position the washer in opposite corner of current washer. Current drain is, say 36 inches and 2 inch. It goes into the wall nicely, through the floor and tees within say 5...

Billing a patient if auto insurance did not pay the medical claim in full [ 2 Answers ]

Can a health care provider bill a patient for any balance after the motor vehicle insurance has not paid in full.

Which is better settle in full or paid in full [ 20 Answers ]

I had a discover card opened when I was a young adult with my father(about eight years ago). As of a 18 months ago he stop paying on it even though the charges were made by him. Now I'm trying to take a step towards business ventures and this and some other things are on my credit are present. I...

Should I SETTLE or pay off in FULL? [ 4 Answers ]

I am in the process of paying everything off on my credit balance to a zero balance. I've received offers to SETTLE the account. I am not sure if I should settle or pay in full. I am looking to purchase my first home very soon and I want to know what would look better on my credit report, or will...

Advise Needed: Pay in full or settle? [ 4 Answers ]

I am trying to improve my credit score to get it as close to perfect credit as possible. All of my accounts are positive except for one. They are all either closed/paid in full or never late (from auto loans to credit cards). I only have one account that went to collection for the amount of approx...

View more questions Search