Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    young_gun Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2004, 07:01 PM
    Wieght training
    I'm 14 going on 15 and around 5'3 or 5'4 and as you can see I am not very tall and I heard that weight training would stunt your growth so I was wondering if you could include information on anything that would give me the same muscle without the damage to my body because my football coach is really into lifting but I don't want to stay the same height that I am now because I want to be nice and built for my time in high school and also I was wondering if there was anyhting I could do to get a little taller p.s my parents are almost as short as me
    dave5150 Posts: 39, Reputation: 5

Dec 25, 2004, 05:41 PM
    Weight training
    Moderate amounts of weight training shouldn't cause any damage as long as you don't overdo it. Good luck.
    desii Posts: 57, Reputation: 2

Jan 26, 2005, 10:20 PM
    Naw I heard that it doesn't cause stunt growht, its just like a myth... just a few words of adicce ( me being same age and all) don't over do it, don't put weights on your sholder ( I think that stunts growth) do all the machines and free weights correctly, don't work out with torn or borken muscle, and when you bench ALWAYS ALWAYS make sure some 1 is spoting u. no matter how much your lifting. And make sure that person is paying attention and isn't some <expletive>... I have had wieghts fall on my friend and he wasn't too happy. And it hurts
    So yah
    Peace
    sdunne00 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2007, 10:27 AM
    Its all a myth. I was the same height as you at your age and I'm now 6'1(28yr old). Both my parents are under 5'5. Ive trained with weights since I was 15.
    Hammdy Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Jul 19, 2008, 01:28 PM
    ITS ALL A MYTH , The whole notion of growth being stunted by bodybuilding training is a myth that I have been fighting for years. In conversations with my grandfather who used to be an Orthopedic Surgeon graduated from Northwestern University with top honors, I learned that as long as the resistance is not so high that it would cause the bones to become more dense and thus close the epiphysis (the growth area of a long bone) then there should not be any detrimental effects.

As a matter of fact, the American Academy of Pediatrics recently changed their policy (PEDIATRICS Vol. 107 No. 6 June 2001, pp. 1470-1472) regarding this topic by stating that "strength training programs do not seem to adversely affect linear growth and do not seem to have any long-term detrimental effect on cardiovascular health" as evidenced in recent studies.

I should also point out that the compression forces on your legs and spine are far greater in running and jumping than they will ever be in a bodybuilding exercise like squatting. Compression forces in running and jumping can exceed 5 times your bodyweight. If you're not squatting over 700 pounds, he's generating greater compression in normal daily activities.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2008, 09:42 AM
    The only thing I have to add after that post by hammdy is to reread it again. A great post.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Training for 5K [ 2 Answers ]

I've reluctantly agreed to do a 5K one month from today- I'm overweight (5' 5" and 170lbs:( ) and very out of shape so I need to start training. Any suggestions on how to start? Currently the only exercise I get outside of normal daily activities of caring for a home and 2 small children is...

Under wieght puppy [ 1 Answers ]

I just rescued a under weight male Chihuahua it's a puppy about 2months old and it not wanting to really eat I have been using dropper to give it formula and water but it is getting diarrhea not really bad but it looks really mucus can anyone help.:o

Training to lie down [ 2 Answers ]

We are trying to get our 3 1/2 month old Rhodesian Ridgeback to stay down. She will sit on command and she will lie down if we are using a treat reward but she will not stay lying down. With a treat in my palm I will slowly drop my hand to the floor and then away from her and give the command down...

How to lose wieght? [ 9 Answers ]

Hey I have one more problem with my life.. and that's my wieght as you know I'm 15 going on to 16 and I weigh 180 pounds... I've always been overwieght... I have a slow metabolism... I tried No carb diets, and in 1 week I lost 7 - 10 pounds but I feel really dizzy and tired and I womit a lot.. so I...

Training [ 2 Answers ]

I have a five year old lab and golden retriver mix. I have a problem with him listening to me outside. He listens good to commands inside but when I take him out or he breaks loose he will not come back to me. I have never hit or abused him . I don't know what to do about it. He knows what...

View more questions Search