Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Silverpetals Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2008, 08:24 PM
    Can my mom find out I got birth control contraceptives?
    I'm cosigned with my mom on insurance, and it covered birth control contraceptives that I purchased. Will the insurance let my mom know this? Or is there a way that she could find out? Like does it impose an additional fee or anything?

Thank in advance!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 31, 2008, 08:30 PM
    There will be statements showing what percent was paid and the such often sent to your mailing address on the policy.

Also you don't really "co-sign" you and her can be on the same policy depending on your age ? And that also makes a difference as to how old you are, if you are 16 or if you are 30 can make a difference as to what she can find out.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2008, 08:30 PM
    Depending on the insurance company, an itemization of expenses might be sent to the policy holder to insure that no medical billing fraud has taken place, etc.

She probably already knows, so trying to keep it secret might be pointless.

I also had the thought that she might find out when looking in your purse for a stick of gum... but who knows...

It might just depend on how closely she reads the statements sent out by the insurance company.
    Silverpetals Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2008, 08:40 AM
    Thank you for the swift reply!
    All right well I'm 18 turning 19 in a month, and yeah I mean I told her I wanted to start birth control and my doctor prescribed me the right one, but she wasn't happy about it. She's against birth control contraceptives, cause she think they will mess up a person's body. She is very anti-medicine of any kind. So I just don't want to have her complaining about it once she knows I am taking it.
    But I guess. So how much does it show if I'm 18 or 19? And isn't there an age where I can longer be signed with my mom on insurance?
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Apr 3, 2008, 08:11 AM
    Most insurance companies want children off once they turn 19 unless you're a full-time student. Others allow it but would charge a much high fee to keep you on the policy.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 3, 2008, 08:40 AM
    Are you working? Does your employer provide insurance?

Generally health insurance has different parts. One part pays for the doctors, a different part for prescriptions. There is no way for her to find out anything your doctor prescribed. However, the prescription drug part could provide the policy holder with a list of prescriptions.
    crazybird Posts: 82, Reputation: 8

Apr 22, 2008, 10:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverpetals
    I'm cosigned with my mom on insurance, and it covered birth control contraceptives that I purchased. Will the insurance let my mom know this? Or is there a way that she could find out? Like does it impose an additional fee or anything?

Thank in advance!
    Look, it's your body and your life. You are a smart girl to be taking precautions so as not getting pregnant when not ready. There are other alternatives to pills like the diaphram etc. If the pill makes you sick you can try other things. Your mother should be proud of you for having brains. Don't worry about her knowing. Take care of yourself. If it helps, talk to her on other alternatives that WORK. Maybe you can take something safer that won't harm you. The contraceptive pills can be very harmful and cause other problems. I'm hoping your mother will be happy to talk to you about other ways to safeguard yourself.

Recently in the news a young girl needed to be on insulin and her parents would not give it to her. She died. A friend of mine would not take any medicine and nearly died from a disease because she wouldn't take medicine or go to the doctor. She is now crippled and disabled. Sometimes we all must take some sort of medicine and seek a physicians care.
    You are on the right track.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2008, 06:44 AM
    [QUOTE=crazybird]Look, it's your body and your life.

Please keep your comments to me on the Board - if you don't have the stomach to post it on the Board, then don't send it privately. I have no desire to engage in a debate with you on this or any other subject, on or off the Board.

Did you read my signature? PLEASE DON'T SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGES!
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

May 5, 2008, 09:20 AM
    I'm aware that I am answering a question that was posted on the board in April and the reader may not get this. Check with your Health Care provider in regards to what their HIPPA Guidelines are. The fact that you are 18-19 assuming a student to still be on your parents health plan, this type of confidentiality is taken into consideration and certain information can not be provided to the subscriber of the plan, only the member it pertains to. HIPPA Rules protect your confidentiality, parents or not.
    Uber Member

May 5, 2008, 09:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMewiththat
    I'm aware that I am answering a question that was posted on the board in April and the reader may not get this. Check with your Health Care provider in regards to what their HIPPA Guidelines are. The fact that you are 18-19 assuming a student to still be on your parents health plan, this type of confidentiality is taken into consideration and certain information can not be provided to the subscriber of the plan, only the member it pertains to. HIPPA Rules protect your confidentiality, parents or not.

Under HIPAA the person who pays the premium is entitled to the printout concerning prescriptions. Maybe it's a flaw in the system, maybe it's not, but they are entitled. This particular circumstances is not covered by HIPAA.

May 5, 2008, 10:00 AM
    Silverpetals... the HIPPA LAW may very well protect you, honestly. There is an authorization form that you must sign to give your doctor permission to disclose such information. Read up on it, Google it, ask your physician not to disclose and he can't.

"...If you have a minor who is getting birth control pills, or treatment for a sexually transmitted disease, or mental health treatments, etc, can you divulge information about this to the parents, if the parents ask? Sometimes yes, and sometimes no.

HIPAA says you need to abide by whatever your state law requires. Therefore, you need to know if your state law, or other applicable law, allows you to divulge this information or not. Most state laws do not stipulate. HIPAA says that if your state does not specifically allow or disallow release of this information to parents of a minor, then it is up to the pharmacist's professional judgment."... Pharmacist's Letter: HIPAA Special Report
    Uber Member

May 5, 2008, 10:25 AM
    Silverpetals... the HIPPA LAW may very well protect you, honestly. There is an authorization form that you must sign to give your doctor permission to disclose such information. Read up on it, google it, ask your physician not to disclose and he can't.

"...If you have a minor who is getting birth control pills, or treatment for a sexually transmitted disease, or mental health treatments, etc, can you divulge information about this to the parents, if the parents ask? Sometimes yes, and sometimes no.

HIPAA says you need to abide by whatever your state law requires. Therefore, you need to know if your state law, or other applicable law, allows you to divulge this information or not. Most state laws do not stipulate. HIPAA says that if your state does not specifically allow or disallow release of this information to parents of a minor, then it is up to the pharmacist's professional judgment." ....Pharmacist's Letter: HIPAA Special Report

Please let us know how this works out - I attended the HIPAA classes for Pharmacists and this question was specifically covered. The Pharmacist should NOT give out the information BUT the health insurance company (which I was addressing) is not so restricted.

So let us know -

May 5, 2008, 10:59 AM
    I'm torn on even commenting further as this is an old entry from April 1. However, being thoroughly educated in HIPPA compliance and an observer of it daily, I want to share the information for whomever might be interested in reading so they can be correctly informed.

That information would not come from your insurance provider either. On your billing statements there are codes that may be used to represent the Place of Service and the type of service, diagnosis, etc. but are some what difficult to translate. Given your age this type of billing, if it comes at all, for one will not be that detailed and secondly, will come in your name.

Again... "HIPPA requires authorization You can give your doctor written consent to permit any of these disclosures if you wish. Your doctor also won't be able to disclose your PHI (Personal Health Information) to your family members unless you authorize it, "
    Uber Member

May 5, 2008, 12:04 PM
    I'm torn on even commenting further as this is an old entry from April 1. However, being thoroughly educated in HIPPA compliance and an observer of it daily, I want to share the infromation for whomever might be interested in reading so they can be correctly informed.

That information would not come from your insurance provider either. On your billing statements there are codes that may be used to represent the Place of Service and the type of service, diagnosis, etc. but are some what difficult to translate. Given your age this type of billing, if it comes at all, for one will not be that detailed and secondly, will come in your name.

Again... "HIPPA requires authorization You can give your doctor written consent to permit any of these disclosures if you wish. Your doctor also won't be able to disclose your PHI (Personal Health Information) to your family members unless you authorize it, "

I believe the OP is concerned about information about the PRESCRIPTION for birth control medication. Obviously in your area billing statements are sent out by the provider for prescriptions; in my area they are not. I do get a quarterly statement of all prescriptions filled and the co-pay (to determine whether the charges are still within the policy maximum) from my carrier and everyone on that policy is listed.

I don't think she's asking about Physicians - but if she is, yes, I agree with you. I believe we disagree on the prescription part.

I have gone (quickly) though my paperwork and find nothing about HIPAA and written authorization concerning prescriptions - if you have something (a section) I would be interested.

I'm sure you realize it if you work with it every day but it's not HIPPA, it's HIPAA.

May 5, 2008, 12:44 PM
    Pardon the typo, it is simply that. I'm not here to debate with you Judy ~ pleae stick to the objective. I have not referred to my own plan or policy but the general federal rule. I would think and hope anyone reading this for information will pull the necessary advise. Which again, is the following: request it not be disclosed, check with your state, physician, health care provider and anyone else you are concerned about on their guidelines. Good Luck.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 5, 2008, 01:04 PM
    This is one of those things, where as long as they paid for the pills, there would not be a payment by the insurance company, but when the insurance company pays for something, there will be a report generated for what is paid, and it is mailed to the owner or main insured of the policy. We have to remember that they have the same insurance policy, and the main insured is the one named on all of the paper work mailed.
    Uber Member

May 5, 2008, 01:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    This is one of those things, where as long as they paid for the pills, there would not be a payment by the insurance company, but when the insurance company pays for something, there will be a report generated for what is paid, and it is mailed to the owner or main insured of the policy. We have to remember that they have the same insurance policy, and the main insured is the one named on all of the paper work mailed.

And I wonder if the daughter couldn't just sidestep the whole issue and go to a free clinic, such as Planned Parenthood where everything is covered by privacy and no insurance carrier is involved.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Birth Control causes birth defects? [ 1 Answers ]

So I take Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo and was reading some info about it and noticed that it said you should not take it if you are pregnant (obviously!) because it causes birth defects. So then I started wondering, what if you are taking it and for some reason it doesn't work and you end up pregnant (as...

Looking for birth mom [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone use findme.org. I need help. I found my bmom listing for me. I can not get on the site. I was born 6 21 76 in syracuse ny. My given name is JAMIE JOHN PALLIEN. Can anyone check this out on findme.org for me. Please respond?

Serching for birth mom [ 1 Answers ]

Looking for birth mom I was born 6 21 76 wiath the name jamie john pallien. If anyone has any info Please email.

HOW can I find old age homes in BARRIE Ontario? I need to find my mom! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, just wondering if someone could find me a listof them all, thanks!

View more questions Search