Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    burtyjim Posts: 31, Reputation: 0

Mar 31, 2008, 07:43 PM
    Will I lose weight
    I do a 45 min run everyday and on a good food diet I do just about 7 miles in 45 and I'm 6ft 1 and 14 stone
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2008, 08:20 AM
    7 miles in 45 minutes is quite a pace... pushing 9 miles an hour! Really?

If you are covering close to 7 miles at your weight (about 196lbs, right?) you are likely burning 750-900 calories.. which is a heck of a workout. Meaning with proper nutrition you should be optimizing your fitness. I can't tell you that you are going to lose weight... depends on your body type. Even when I've been my fittest, I've always registered high on weight, but body % had been good. I'm just broader than most and haven't fit the standard height to weight ratio since high school.

So the workout is great. Why are you trying to lose weight? A little extra fat on the body? Trying to tone? Drop a weight class? What's the reason for wanting to drop.

A person who can push 7 miles under an hour is capable of running at a brisk speed and is likely in good cardio condition. If anything, make sure you are at a healthy bmi and you are properly hydrated.

Here's a handy site that gives nice approximations for running versus calorie burn. Good enough to estimate your workout payout.

Running Calorie Calculator | Calories Burned
    burtyjim Posts: 31, Reputation: 0

Apr 1, 2008, 08:32 AM
    Well just trying to lose a bit of weight then tone up thanks very much yer 45 minutes and just hitting 7 miles
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2008, 11:52 AM
    If you want toning, a few suggestions...

A good cardio alternative is skipping rope. Its easier on your joints and is a great alternative to running. Trust me, it'll kick your arse if you try to do this as long as the time you run. Just try it and see... not a bad alternative to running at all.

You should do other workouts that keep your body guessing what is coming next. My wife, for ex, a few years back was running 6 miles most days and seeing some weight drop, but not what she wanted in tone and tightness of abs. she wasn't really overweight, but wanted to drop about 12 lbs and get better definition. She saw good initial drop, but seemed to need more to crank things in.

Now she runs less miles... anywhere from 3-5 miles every other day, and spends more time on weights and other workouts like pilates. Honestly, the pilates, I believe, made huge changes in her body. I was skeptical about doing it as a guy, thinking that yoga or other exercise programs that more women seem to populate couldn't help much... id rather lift free weights. Man, was I wrong.

She had me try her intro pilates video, the one that taught you basic positions... not the intermediate tape, not even the beginner level... and it kicked my arse. I told her some of those positions were banned by the geneva convention's rules about torture.

She then informed me that pilates were first developed by a prisoner of war who wanted to stay in shape.

The pilates has made her core strength so much better. Her abs kick arse (has the nice midline line and getting a six pack), her back strength is impressive (no lower back fat), and her overall body control is great. She can do situps that I cannot do, even though I can outdo her with weights and reps with feet secured.

So... now I'm in the pilates program. I walked around it some, trying it now and then, thinking it just wasn't "strong" enough... no weights used... you are just holding positions while squeezing muscles (the way you would properly with weights to get the max results) and focusing on your breathing... but like I said, I'm impressed with the results.

And I honestly believe in making your body wonder where the next test is coming from. Its why athletes cross train.

Tae kwon do or other martial arts are also a different thing to consider. Your flexibility will increase and the work on your abs, back, hips and legs is real. Try doing a head high controlled side kick. See how that goes. Then do eight or sixteen in rapid repeat. Your legs, butt, and waist will probably protest. So something to consider for cross training that might be fun if you aren't into the pilates. Also, you can get a heavy weight bag and work your back, shoulders, and abs in no time.

If you are doing weights and you want to change your look, don't forget about the triceps and the lats. While most guys do biceps work, the triceps is a big muscle that can quickly gain form and make your upper arms look more developed. Likewise with the lats... while a lot of guys try to gain at the trapezius or deltoids, the v shape of the lats can quickly gain definition and broaden your look with less work in my opinion. Maybe its just my delts and traps aren't naturally strong, but I feel I need to work those twice as hard as my lats to get good results.

As for abs, you have to mix it up. I've already told you I'm impressed with pilates. Leg lifts, crunches, and situps are the trilogy of abs. changing angles by twisting and angled benchwork does more in my opinion than doing more reps of the same old stuff.

Just some ideas. Remember, your body doesn't want to be toned and look like a model. It wants to be healthy, but secure... which means it naturally puts on a little more fat that wed like aesthetically. Personally, I think you need a balance. Being strong and fit is great, but you need to be healthy too.

There's a "workout model" in one of the exercise vids I use that would look to most like she's mostly in shape, but a little wide. Well... she can kick my arse anyday. She is strong and fast. So be willing to listen to your body and stay in good health... if getting the physical look you want means dropping into too low of a bmi, it might not be worth it.

The fact that you can run that far that fast is great. If you are young (teen to young 20's) you'll likely get more definition as you age into your later 20's and beyond.
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2008, 07:03 PM
    KP2171, So True, Can't run, knee problem, but walk, about 1 mile a day, the pilates I've tried, thanks to you, is great, skipping rope is kicking my butt, never thought I'd admit that, and now I have also introduced the hula hoop to the program, sound dumb, but just try it... great for stomach muscles! Of course weights, bands... any resistance training after enough reps and proper movements... will show results. I, personally, think you should change your exercise program every week or month and target all muscles for best results.. A healthy body and weight is the weight your body settles into when you eat a healthy and natural diet along with exercise. I am... over... 50 something and my body is not too shabby, but I work it every day>
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2008, 07:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lovelesspa
    A healthy body and weight is the weight your body settles into when you eat a healthy and natural diet along with exercise. I am... over.....50 something and my body is not too shabby, but I work it every day>
    Hey my wife now, after two kids, has a body that is stronger and more defined than she was at 20. Doesn't happen by accident, its all work and determination.

Glad the pilates seems to be a hit. You know I'm impressed with it. My goal is to get to the intermediate level with good form and breathing by mid summer... I've been told by a professional instructor that once you hit that level, you have a workout you can do the rest of your life and still get strong benefits, though there are of course advanced levels too. At this point, I'm still doing the beginner stuff, breathing OK, decent form sometimes, and needing to cheat on form still more than id like.

I can't bring myself to do hoops, just like I had to refuse to try her "yoga booty ballet" vid based on the name alone. Never mind it might be a good workout. Id have to give up my "guy card" to do it. ;) I know... dumb mental hangup... just put in the billy blanks amped dvd and ill be happy and secure.

Going to try something different the next two weeks starting today. Wearing some old ankle weights I forgot I had around the house all the time. Don't know how much more spring ill get or calories ill burn with 2lbs extra on each foot, but it'll be interesting to see how it goes. Not looking forward to jumping rope and doing side kicks in tae bo with added weight, but hoping it'll change things a bit. Not so much for calorie burning, tho' that's always good, but rather for faster food speed with softball and spring sports coming up. Maybe it'll do nothing. Well see in a few weeks whether my feet feel "lighter".
    Duecey93 Posts: 207, Reputation: 3

Apr 9, 2008, 06:10 PM
    Wow if you want to lose weight and you do that for a month you will drop pounds of fat and gain pounds of muscle.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Healthy weight? Or lose weight? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I would like to raise my fitness level and loose wieght around my stomach, and upper legs. Although my family and friends say losing wieght would be dangerous, but I think there just saying that. Im so confused, I see myself as overweight and my family sees me as fine. I hate being so self...

I need to lose weight [ 1 Answers ]

I am not happy with who I am and I keep saying I have to lose weight and I say I am going to do this and this and I then get tired of it and just stop doing what ever. I always eat to try to make myself feel better and it doesn't work I guess. Can someone help me and give me some tips on this

Lose weight [ 1 Answers ]

What is the easy way of losing weight. Do u know where I can buy bangkok pill in philippines or in Dubai? /

Lose Weight [ 2 Answers ]

Im 12 and I feel fat . I weigh 7 stone and I am about 5ft. Do I need to lose weight ?

Weight lose [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I'am trying to lose weight and finding that I'am getting bigger,I'am doing everything that I should be doing right.This has been going on for 10 years and I'am not sure why,I have gone to the Doc, all my test come back good,I find that I get bigger at night time.Thank you for your help.

View more questions Search