Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Feb 8, 2006, 07:05 AM
    Ban of pit bull dogs
    ----------------- Bulletin Message -----------------

"Rep. Wesselhoft said the proposed bill will also include provisions designed to bring about an eventual ban of pit bull dogs in the state.
    The grandfather clause contained in the bill would allow for the continuing existence of pit bulls currently in Oklahoma. However, pit bull owners would have to have the dogs spayed or neutered, and the animals would need regular rabies shots.
    In addition, a pit bull owner would have to be age 21 or older and would be required to have a $100,000 liability insurance policy on every pit bull.
    Also, each pit bull would have to be tattooed or otherwise marked when it is registered with the state. Owners would not be able to sell or transfer the dogs to other individuals in Oklahoma, excluding family members. And a person living in Oklahoma will not be able to bring in a new pit bull from out of state.
    After those pit bulls that are allowed to remain in Oklahoma under the grandfather clause of the proposed bill die of old age, Wesselhoft said there should be very few pit bulls remaining in the state, if any."
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2006, 07:13 AM
    Hi,
    I fully agree with what you have posted. Responsibility of Pitt Bull owners have to be enforceable by law. There are too many documented cases, United States wide, of injuries and harm caused by this breed of dog.
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Feb 8, 2006, 07:37 AM
    I agree that people should take responsibility for their animals however this affects the ones who never caused any harm also. That's just like someone coming up to me and saying " off to the electric chair miss. we have too many brunettes burning down houses." Why should everyone else have to suffer? If people would learn not to train these dogs to be mean then it wouldn't be that way.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2006, 07:50 AM
    You know what. Hear in Canada, Province of Ontario. Our Liberal government put a bill through to completely ban them all together. That all owners will have to turn them in. Complete ban because in the last three years there have been many children killed to death or mulled by one.

Yes, the owners need to take responsibility as well. As well as proper training.

What do you think about this?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 8, 2006, 08:06 AM
    Proper insurance and responsibility is so important, There are more types of dogs that need similar control and stricter laws for those who's "pets" attack people.

I was bitten by one some years ago, the owner of the pet denied owning the dog. The chain by the side of the house, the pet dish by the door and the dog... in the yard was just non related.
    The police could do nothing since they could not prove he actually owned the dog. The dog had to be destroyed because the owner would not take responsibility.

I did sue them in civil court and won, but they had no money, and no insurance, so I got nothing anyway.
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Feb 8, 2006, 08:31 AM
    Electric chair.No,no! We need you here on AMHD :D
    Here in the UK pit bull's make me uneasy,even when on a lead.I'd hate one to take a "likeing" to my arm,or worse.I have four cats,and love animals,but certain species,which are basically hunting animals,as pets?
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Feb 8, 2006, 09:01 AM
    This whole thing just saddens my heart that a breed of dog will be eventually be destroyed because of bad people.

Why can we not just ban bad people?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2006, 10:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lilfyre
    This whole thing just saddens my heart that a breed of dog will be eventually be destroyed because of bad people.
    Maybe it has something to do with the fact that we rarely, if ever, hear about crazed poodles or labs tearing a child apart.

Feb 8, 2006, 10:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Maybe it has something to do with the fact that we rarely, if ever, hear about crazed poodles or labs tearing a child apart.
    Still sad,

Feb 8, 2006, 10:24 AM
    Agree with Need.A pit bull is bred to hunt.Why own a dangerus animal.Just stick to faithful fido.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2006, 10:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nez
    Agree with Need.A pit bull is bred to hunt.Why own a dangerus animal.Just stick to faithful fido.
    You're right but I also agree with them that often the problem lies in the reason behind the owner selecting that breed of dog (the pit bull). Often it's because they are an individual on the fringe of society who want to either appear tough. The hefty insurance fee is designed to weed out that particular type of owner.

Feb 8, 2006, 10:41 AM
    Originally Posted by Nez
    I have a fido, Miss Piggy a pit-bull, she had a sad life of mistreatment, by not so nice people it is not the breeds fault. If we made the people that breed these dogs for this do hard time for real, rather than releasing the with a mister meaner offence. Take the house the car and what ever else they own this would stop. It is sad,
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2006, 10:50 AM
    Pit bulls don't have to be dangerous if they have proper owners.

The problem is, even 5 bad owners means 5 cases of death or mutilation, and even 1 is really unacceptable.

As Joe said, here in Ontario, our government has banned pit bulls all together. Was it the right decision? Well, with all the cases we had, I say yes. If we could simply just get rid of the bad owners, that would have been better, but that is kind of impossible to do.

Feb 8, 2006, 10:57 AM
    I agree that people who mistreat animals should be locked up,and the key thrown away.All I'm saying is that to me a pit bull is not the sort of dog that I believe should be a house pet.As you say,your dog was rescued,so I applaud you for that.But the fact remains they can/are a breed which can prove tricky.If you are an experienced handler,who understands the pit bull 100%,then you are wonderful.But,neglected,and mistreated,they can/will turn nasty.For me,a pit bull is a no-no.I have a five year old son,often he asks,can we have a pet dog? We have four cats,so it's out of the question now.If we had no cats,would I buy a pit bull.No way.

Feb 8, 2006, 10:59 AM
    To change just one persons mind (O:
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainForest
    Pit bulls don’t have to be dangerous if they have proper owners.

The problem is, even 5 bad owners means 5 cases of death or mutilation, and even 1 is really unacceptable.

As Joe said, here in Ontario, our government has banned pit bulls all together. Was it the right decision? Well, with all the cases we had, I say yes. If we could simply just get rid of the bad owners, that would have been better, but that is kind of impossible to do.

You are right, and if you spent time in the shelter as I do watching these dos that are good dog, tested as safe, put to sleep because people are afraid of them, it breaks my heart, I have played with them spent time with them. I took them out walked them. Thousands of them are put to sleep each year because of dog fighting and these pits never ever not once ever fought a fight. They are only fighting for their life. So in a shelter they have 30, 60, 90, 120 days to find a home. Simply because of intercity meanness. as I will try hard to not look at this post again.

We sat and answered question here on this forum a month ago, to a person that was asking dog fighting question in a round about, we all answered him and helped him out. To the one that answered him including myself, we are all part of the problem.

Red flag Questions that have been answered on this site.

Thing that should alert you that something is not right would be questions asking about

Red Cell is a food supplement used by fighters to increase the stamina of a fighting dog. Also used for race horses

Tread mills used to build up mussel and stamina.
    Sled or weight pulling used to build up mussel and stamina.

Weight question, how to put weight on my dog.

Breeding of Pit bull

Blood line questions; pertain to older dog such the gator blood line,

Any one who owns a pit-bull that is a good dog owner will do their best, to maintain a positive image with their dog, and will not flaunt them with big collar and such to draw attention to them in a negative way. Miss Piggy our pit-bull has toured with our giniea pig rescue and equine rescue, trying her little heart out to change the stereo type of this killer breed.

Feb 8, 2006, 11:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nez
    I agree that people who mistreat animals should be locked up,and the key thrown away.All I'm saying is that to me a pit bull is not the sort of dog that I believe should be a house pet.As you say,your dog was rescued,so I applaud you for that.But the fact remains they can/are a breed which can prove tricky.If you are an experianced handler,who understands the pit bull 100%,then you are wonderful.But,neglected,and mistreated,they can/will turn nasty.For me,a pit bull is a no-no.I have a five year old son,often he asks,can we have a pet dog? We have four cats,so it's out of the question now.If we had no cats,would I buy a pit bull.No way.
    1 have 1 bunny 2 cats 32 guinea pigs in my home the cat and bunny free roam with the dog, even when I am not home, no dead bodies here, in my small animal rescue. (O:
    bizygurl Posts: 522, Reputation: 110

Feb 8, 2006, 11:44 AM
    I agree that a lot has to do with the way the dog is trained. PitBulls by nature are more of an aggressive breed. But that doesn't mean that they all will attack someone.
    The problem is that most dog owners that own a PitBull never have it properly trained and they become dangerous.
    I don't blame the dog because there are dogs like Rotties and Dobermans that are more naturally aggressive also but not all of them will hurt someone.
    People who don't take responsibility for there pets shouldn't be allowed to own them. Too many people are getting attacked many of them children and its all due to poor responsibility on the owners
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2006, 11:51 AM
    This is absolutely useless stupidity. Ban Pit Bulls, and the idiots will go to Dobes, Rotts, Shepherds, etc. What we need are laws that puts people with dogs trained to be vicious in jail. Your dog injures somebody, you do time.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2006, 12:56 PM
    Excellent idea.
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2006, 01:13 PM
    That's interesting that Ontario has banned pit bulls all together. They are still allowed in my province, but where I live we have something called a "Dangerous Dog" Bylaw. There is a list of breeds that are considered dangerous (I imagine pitbulls, rottweilers, dobermans, etc are on the list), and people owning those breeds need a special license on top of the usual dog license, must spay or neuter their dogs, and of course not allow their dogs to run free. It is also against the law to have any more than 2 "dangerous dogs" per household. Breeding is banned unless you are a board certified breeder. There are stiff penalties for any infringement of these laws. Recently a little girl was mauled in a town close to here, by a rottweiler/german shephard cross. The dog was never dangerous prior to this. The owner of the dog had 5 dogs, not sure what breeds, but they were all destroyed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Recently got a 4 year old pit bull [ 6 Answers ]

Three days ago I went and picked up a 4 year old pit bull and the pit bull weighs 90 pounds real health she is also fixed can't have pups my only concern is that she is not ate nothing but a hotdog so far and its been 3 days she is drinking water as she needs it the temp outside has been fairly hot...

New Pit Bull won't eat [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I just rescued a beautiful Brindle Pit Bull. He is about 2 yrs old. I brought him home last night, he didn't eat then I thought because he was new to our family. He had been mistreated. Today he fits in like he has been here for years, playing with the kids wagging his tail and having a ball....

My 2 year old stofordshire bull terrier has stopped eating. [ 5 Answers ]

Hello my Staffordshire bull terrier has stopped eating anything. I have tried tempting him with his favorite treat (mature cheder cheese) but he won't touch it, he is quite large for his age (nearly fully grown) and is naturally active and playful all of the time even now when he hasn't been...

Cut on My dogs lip [ 8 Answers ]

Hello I would like to know about a cut on my dogs lip the reason for the cut is that a dog got loose and came and fought him but before we could break the fight he got caught on the lip and he has a big cut on his lip and I would like to know if its necessary to have it sewed up or the wound would...

Bull Sticks OK for young Lab [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am trying to figure out what I can give my 8 month old lab as a treat once in a while. I have read that beef bones do harm to there teeth. Are bull sticks OK? Also, we just finished beginner obedience classes where he has learned the basics (sit/stay/come/lie down/off/look/walking on...

View more questions Search