Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dwsmith05 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2008, 05:00 PM
    I recently filed chapter 13 including my house. Can I sell it?
    I recently filed Chapter 13 including my home. My wife and I are separating and I need to sell the house. Can I do this?
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2008, 05:44 PM
    I don't think that you can sell the house because if your wife and you are separating and her name is on the deed or the mortgage, or you are in a community property state, she has equal say in the process even if she was not the person who paid for the house.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2008, 06:42 PM
    Yes; you probably need permission from the court and you must keep your payments current. Speak with your attorney.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 31, 2008, 07:26 PM
    First if you filed a joint chapter 13, a divorce can also effect that, so talk t your bankrutpcy attorney.

Since you are in a chapter 13, and esp since the house is listed as part of it, you will have to get the courts permission to sell, also except for that amount that is exempt, any money from the sale over the exempted amount will go to the court to pay debts off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My house trained dog has recently began going in the house. [ 1 Answers ]

My dog has recently began going to the bathroom in my house and I don't understand why. Could he be mad at me? I just started a new 8-5 job and I started keeping him in the bathroom while I'm at work. I use to keep him outside, but it's cold and I always worry that he's freezing while I'm gone. I...

Deleting name of recently died spouse on house deed [ 1 Answers ]

My husband recently paased away after a about with cancer. I was told to have his name removed from our house deed, which we jointly owned. Was just wondering how to go about this, like who to contact or go to for this process. Thanks for your help and god bless.

Chapter 13, divorce and the house [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings! Here's my situation. I am 1 month away from divorce trial. I have been in Chapter 13 bankruptcy and made all my payments for the last 16 months. My duration is 42 months. My wife is the co-petitioner on the Ch 13. We were exempted $40,000 on the equity of our home. The current...

Chapter 7 and buying a house [ 8 Answers ]

I filed chapter 7 in May of 05 and was discharged in July of 05. I have been pre approved for a 171,000.00 house. I am trying to get a FHA loan with no money down and 100% financing. I haven't met with the mortgage folks yet but my question is will my chapter 7 prohibit me from getting this house....

View more questions Search