Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2008, 04:42 PM
    New auto insurance
    I've been driving for two years now but only as an additional driver on my aunt and uncle's so my car insurance has been reasonably priced. But now I'm looking into buying a new car and even with all of the possible discounts my current insurance company (state farm) wants to nearly double that price for a BEST case scenario. The worst case is just under triple my current amount... so now I'm looking into finding a new insurance company. But I have no idea where to start at all. So any and all advice or tips are welcome. Thanks
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 31, 2008, 05:51 PM
    You could ask friends, parents of your friends, who they use for car insurance, or go on line and get quotes from different sources. Access google.com and just start phoning and writing if you want to find the best quote. Or, try your local telephone book and start calling.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 31, 2008, 06:09 PM
    Check out online rates with several companies, just be sure you are listing the same coverages.

And depending on the state and other issues, for example for myself here in GA, State Farm is the lowest cost I can find, and it was also the lowest cost in TN for me.

But when I moved from TN to GA, the cost of my insurance doubled, just because of the higher rates to live in Metro Atlanta area.

So where you live will effect your rates also,

I do remember when my boys were younger, we changed from State Farm back then since their rates for younger drivers where higher at that time.

Also check out your independent insurance agents, who often may have some good companies with good rates.

But YES, a younger driver with a new car, is going to be a lot higher than as an addition to another policy. Twice as high is not really out of line or uncommom.
    mmartin459 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2008, 09:08 PM
    The situation is that your moving from an occasional driver to a primary driver. There is more risk, so your premium increases.

I agree. Go to Google or Yahoo and pull up one of the auto insurance quote sites. Enter your information and you will be contacted. Although you can probably buy online, you should always talk to a representative from the company before signing up. The industry has changed and now there are many more points for rating. Online sites can't cover everything. Be prepared to give your drivers license and social security numbers to get the best price.

Always reveal your complete driving and claims history. The company will find out anyway, but they don't like surprises.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2008, 09:51 PM
    No, my insurance before was reasonable, twice to maybe even triple is ridiculous when I have a perfect record and I'm supposed to get a discount for being a good student too and doubling it was if my aunt and uncle put it under their name and it was just as an addition to our insurance. Triple is if its under my name. But that's good to know about the independent agents. I'll have to look into that. And I'll definitely Google more. What other companies do you guys use?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2008, 02:36 PM
    If you are not 24 or 25 years old you will have higher rates. Also remember you said you wanted a new car as well. That can hike up your rates as well. Maybe you should look into what kind of car you want to get as well. Some models are less to insure than say a fancy schmancy sporty model. That can make a lot of difference. Also just how much are you intending to drive this car? Back and forth to school, back and forth to work? How many miles each way? This all comes into play when insurance is figured out. The fact you have a good driving record is all well and good but just that is not going to get you a good rate. Do some shopping with different agents. Don't buy a car until you get several quotes on it either. Try different models. You can even ask the agents which particular cars you should be looking at which will cost you less to insure. I am sure they have a list of cars that cost much less to insure. Check it out.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2008, 04:16 PM
    As Martin, says, you're going from occasional to a primary driver which makes a difference. The biggest thing you need to consider is that with under 3 years driving experience, you're labeled as an "inexperienced operator" and there's always going to be a higher premium for this type of driver. I think if you wait another year, once u hit the 3 yr mark, you'll see a big decrease in your rates. Also, whether you're getting your own car and staying on your aunt's policy or getting your own, completely new policy, afftects the rates as well. Credit-worthiness factors into being eligible for "preferred" rates also. So if your aunt & uncle allow you, you may fair better if you stay on their policy and just repay them the additional for adding your new car.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Auto Insurance [ 16 Answers ]

For someone that is 22 year-old, is having his the last semster in college ( Won't be a student after this semester)... what is the best auto insurance package? Is that a good idea to be part of my parents' policy? Can he still be part of his parents' policy? What will happen after he graduates in...

Auto Insurance [ 3 Answers ]

My 2007 Toyota Avalon was hit by another driver, and the damage is going to be above $5000. Would it be a good idea to ask for depreciation compensation? If so, how much. Thanks.

Auto insurance adjuster [ 2 Answers ]

I need some help. I recently had a custom motorcycle, well frame and engine stolen from my household. My insurance adjuster after a month when it was suppose to be max 21 days is now wanting me to provide her with cell phone records for last month, bank statements for ythe past year, many different...

Auto insurance [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know anything about "aig" are they reputable? Thks noboat

View more questions Search