Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    20anonymous08 Posts: 74, Reputation: 4

Mar 31, 2008, 02:28 PM
    How old is TOO old for a child to have a Pacifier?
    Hi I would like to get opinions from everyone as to how old is too old for a child to have a pacifier. My daughter is 2 1/2 years old and she cannot stand to be without her 'BINKY'. We took her to the dentist and he said he could tell she was either using a pacifier or sucking her thumb. She will cry for hours on end if we do not give it to her. She wakes up in the middle of the night and crys for it. We just can't seem to get her off it. Is it okay for her to have it or will it cause permanent damage to her teeth or something? It breaks our heart to deny her it. So I want to know how old is too old? Is she still young enough to have it? Also, when the time comes how can we do it? This is how she was with her bottle but we gave her the sippy cup one morning and she forgot about her bottle but the binky... she doesn't seem to forget! Any and all opinions or recommendations are greatly appreciated!
    cpet777 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2008, 03:53 PM
    Hi I was always told--take the paci away when permanent front teeth come in. The constant sucking of the paci; or thumb cause the teeth to grow outward.
    ldyastrid Posts: 82, Reputation: 12

Apr 1, 2008, 12:31 PM
    Each time you "try" to take it away from her and end up giving in to her crying, reinforces that she will get what she wants if she's persistent enough.

As Yoda says "no try - do!" Yes - she will scream... she will evenutally get over it - you must be more persistent than her.
    leti1980 Posts: 150, Reputation: 6

Apr 1, 2008, 12:42 PM
    I know how hard this is. Some off my friends said that when it was time to get rid of the dummy they told there child you can have a new slide or something they want in exchange for the dummy. It worked for them I am going to try it when the time comes. I have also been a dental nurse for 10 years and don't think it does as much harm as everyone says, I think it can only effect speech and teeth if used in an abusive way i.e. always stuffing it in the child's mouth when ever there making a noise. Try not to worry too much you are her mother and you know best.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2008, 01:29 PM
    All I can do is share what happened to me and my daughter. I was a weenie and was giving in to my daughter and allowing her to have the pacifier. She was having vision problems at the time and I thought it would soothe her, etc.

We forced her off it cold turkey after visiting the doctor at 3. She had to have 2 teeth pulled, a spacer put in, a root canal and 3 fillings - all this was done under general anesthesia. The pacifier and sippy cup ruined her teeth. My being a softie only made things worse for her.

Get yourself ready and take her off - cold turkey. Plan on not getting good nights sleep for 2 or 3 days. You can do this. It is for your child's best interest.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 1, 2008, 07:56 PM
    Heavens, be a parent and just take it away, so they get upset, being a parent means you have to do what is GOOD for the child even if the child is unhappy about it.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 1, 2008, 08:02 PM
    I'm sorry, I don't mean to be ugly, but when I see a child of two or 3 with a pacifier I just have to turn my head. To me it is awful to see such an older child with a pacifier. I never let any of my children have them past the age of 6 months.

Sure, it's going to be a rough night or two, but you can be the grown up and take it away. I still remember taking away my youngest son's DDBB (blanket) it was a rough night, but it got easier and the finger sucking stopped.

Just remember who the parent is and be consistent.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2008, 09:30 PM
    I know some people who have taken away cold turkey, as mentioned above, and if they stuck with it, it worked. I also know people who have taken it away in stages (only allowed while sleeping, then only at night, then not at all) and it worked too. Then there's my niece who is 4 and still has one 80% of the time...

Find what will work best for you and your child, but stick with it. Don't give in to crying because it only means the child has a stronger will than you do.

My mom said when my brothers and I were little she told us about the "Paci Fairy" who comes and takes the paci away and gives it to babies who need it. Worked on us! :)
    4ndr3w5 Posts: 14, Reputation: 0

Apr 1, 2008, 09:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 20anonymous08
    Hi I would like to get opinions from everyone as to how old is too old for a child to have a pacifier. My daughter is 2 1/2 years old and she cannot stand to be without her 'BINKY'. We took her to the dentist and he said he could tell she was either using a pacifier or sucking her thumb. She will cry for hours on end if we do not give it to her. She wakes up in the middle of the night and crys for it. We just can't seem to get her off of it. Is it okay for her to have it or will it cause permanent damage to her teeth or something? It breaks our heart to deny her it. So I want to know how old is too old? Is she still young enough to have it? Also, when the time comes how can we do it? This is how she was with her bottle but we gave her the sippy cup one morning and she forgot about her bottle but the binky...she doesn't seem to forget!! Any and all opinions or recommendations are greatly appreciated!
    Suck it up, throw the thing out!! That's what we did with our oldest who will now be 4 this year. We threw his out when he turned 2, ever since then he's been fine.
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2008, 10:03 PM
    At 18 months, it was gone. One day he had them I put him to bed with one, the next day when he woke, they were all gone, completely. It was a rough 2 days, then he just forgot. I did the same thing with the bottles at 1 and the sippy cups at 2.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

TakIng her of the pacifier [ 5 Answers ]

I try taking my 21month old daughter of the pacifier but every time I take it from her she crys and she won't stop. What should I do?

I want to give custody of my unborn child to the father before the child is born [ 2 Answers ]

I am pregnant and wish to give custody to the father before the child is born

Child care expense credit ffor a resident alien child with ITIN [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am a resident alien on a J1 (do not get W2) while my husband is on J2 and gets W2. Can I claim child care expense credit for my resident alien son who has a ITIN? I was wondering this since I might not qualify for earned income but my husband income does, can we claim the child care expense...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

View more questions Search