Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jackie0000 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2008, 01:40 PM
    Hole in fireplace
    I found a hole in the floor of the fireplace. It extends the width of the fireplace, just between the fireplace floor bricks and the bricks of the hearth in front. Can't tell how deep it is because I don't have anything long enough to reach the bottom. I am concerned. Please advise.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 31, 2008, 08:55 PM
    Is this a prefab fireplace? If so, the fireplace floor is probably an insert that is removable. You probably have a fan, the insert would be so that you can service the fan if necessary.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 2, 2008, 08:56 AM
    Harold asks a good question, is it prefab? However, even prefabs do not have this hole so a picture would be good. Right where you describe a prefab has a fire stop plate installed to prevent ember from getting done to the framing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The Black Hole [ 6 Answers ]

Ive always wondered about black holes. I know that it is a region of space in which the gravitational field is so powerful that nothing can escape after having fallen past the event horizon, not even light. Does anyone know anything else, because I am so curious about it!:p

Leak around basement fireplace but not in fireplace [ 1 Answers ]

Recently when we had heavy rain it leaked around the baement fireplace. I have noticed that the grout around the bricks are wet (not sure if soaking up from the floor). Thought because some flooding near by that it was a one time thing. Now it rained a coupe of days ago and I am noticing that it is...

A hole in the ground [ 1 Answers ]

I have a drain in the floor of my basement that has given me some problems. Once, I had sewerage back up through that drain and my basement was filled with human waste. A plumber came in and snaked our main pipe at an entry at the bottom of the basement stairs, which fixed the problem. Four...

Septic hole [ 3 Answers ]

How can I keep a septic tank in ground ( concrete walls ) healthy. Any tips, I heard there are some chemicals one can use to break the "caca" down. Also I hear too much water is no good... any recommendations?? New at this. Thanks:p

View more questions Search