Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tanksi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2008, 10:47 AM
    Catholic marriage divorce' wanting to re-marry
    I was married in the catholic church and now divorced. I've met a wonderful man who has asked me to marry him, and I'd like to get married by a priest or minister close to the catholic religion. I do not wish to obtain an annulment of my first marriage.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 31, 2008, 07:01 PM
    You will not be able to get married in the Catholic Church (Roman Rite)
    There are several of the Independent Catholic groups that will marry you.
    Many of these are considered by Rome to have valid sacrements but the priests are considered irregular by Rome.

If you will tell me where you are located, I can give you the name of someone in your area most likely.

Of course there are also Anglican churches that will also marry you.

And if you want to come to Atlanta GA, I would be glad to perform the serivce.
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2008, 11:31 AM
    Hi Tanksi,

Fr. Chuck gave you great advice.

I am sure, myself being Catholic as well, this means a lot to you. But rest your heart that
    The alternatives Fr. Chuck offered are wonderful ones.

Whichever of the above churches you do choose, God will certainly be with you.

I wish you all the happiness one could possibly have!
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Apr 1, 2008, 11:32 AM
    I'm curious as to why you want to avoid an annulment. For several years I taught a class in RCIA that lightly covered annulments.

That somehow children of the original marriage and the misconception that by going through the annulment process the children would some how become "Bastard" children. That is just not true!

The purpose of the annulment process is to determine whether there was something missing or lacking in the original marital act that justify invalidating the Sacrament of Marriage.

For example, if prior to your orignal marriage, you were certain by word or deed that your future husband was single and not involved with another man or woman. However after the marriage vows, you discover that you were lied to. Your spouse was involved with another woman and had no intention of giving her up.

That would say to the Tribunal that your husband was lacking in truth when he made his marital vow and therefore the Sacrament of Marriage was damaged and should be removed from the records. The Marriage Tribunal makes no judgement on the legality of the children or the Civil issues that may arise because of the annulment.

Children born of the marriage cannot be tossed away or declared as to have never happened. It just does not work that way. I know this because at one time I served as a advocate of a lady whose husband walked out on her after getting another lady pregnant. The lady I represented did not want her children stained in any way because of the annulment.

Fr. Chuck, would you mind describing the process and the reasons for it, I lack the in depth of knowledge that I'm sure you have.
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2008, 11:38 AM
    Hi donf,

I am sure Fr. Chuck will be by to answer. I can only offer you personal experience with my sister. She wanted to annual her marriage and asked me to support or with this, but I couldn't in good faith, as in my heart, I thought both parties contributed to the marriage falling apart. I supported her with my heart, but couldn't answer the questions they are asked in good faith.

But my parents were very willing, and they did. My sister did receive her annulment.

But I was always under the impression that in order to receive an annulment you had to show just cause, as to why the marriage should be dissolved (adultery, abuse, etc)

So, I too, look forward to Fr. Chuck's response.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Apr 1, 2008, 11:56 AM
    All Heart,

The just cause you have to show is with respect to the Sacrament.

Most annulment cases reach the Tribunals well after the civil divorce proceedings. Usually they become an issue when remarriage is being considered.

Because Marriage is a Sacrament, not just a civil act, the Church's prospective is very different that civil. They need to determine whether prior to the marriage, there were acts of omission or commission that would have been serious enough, if known, to have stopped the ceremony from ever happening.

Like wise, during the time of the marriage, has there been acts of omission or commission that show a wanton disregard for the Sacrament of Marriage.

For example, in the vows we take, we promise to Love, Cherish and at least on my side of the vows Obey, I'm not to sure about My Lady's side. As Christ said, "Love one another as I have loved you."

If I then start using my wife as a punching bag, or belittle her or cheat on her. Then I am certainly breaking the Spirit of both my vow and Christ's words.

How am I emulating the teaching of Christ by subjecting my wife to abuse of any kind.

Just read through this forum, time after time you will come across women who are just flat out being trashed. How are their spouses following the teaching and Spirit of Christ and the Church. They should be ashamed of their behavior, but they are not! I just don't understand the reasons one person would behave that way to someone they "Love", BTW, I never hope to understand it.
    Clear_Sight Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2012, 05:52 AM
    Seriously, if a catholic priest is saying he will marry you without an annulment he is not representing the Roman Catholic Church and is committing mortal sin. It is clear from the catechism of the catholic church you cannot marry again without an annulment. Anyone directing otherwise is speaking without approval of Christ.

Please consider an annulment. You do not need your spouse involved or approval. Your local church can direct you to an advocate to represent you in the process.

I am also divorced and have filed for annulment. I do not date, and cannot until I get an annulment. Sorry, but that those are the facts. You cannot make your own faith. Follow the faith, or go astray. Do not listen to those that speak against the Catholic faith.

skip2468 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2012, 12:34 PM
    How can I contact Fr. Chuck to locate priests in my area that would marry a divorced Catholic?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Catholic and Christian Marriage [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am Catholic and my fiancée is Protestant Christian. We plan to get married soon but we both agree that we want to give respect to each of our own beliefs. With this we agree that we have two weddings. The first one would be Catholic and with families only and the second one would be the...

Wanting to marry [ 11 Answers ]

I am 21yrs. Old and on limited guardianship. Could I get married without my mother permission?

International Marriage in military.. Could Divorce... What do I do to save our marriage [ 7 Answers ]

My husband is in Germany serving the US Army and since November 14, 2005 he has been gone. I was supposed to go over there with him but yet to go. He says that he wants a divorce and when I try to get the real true reason out of him nothing works all he says is that I know why but deep down I have...

Wanting to marry [ 2 Answers ]

I am a new born Christian as of last year and been divorced since 1998, But My ex-husband were not Christians and did not even go to church, I go to The Church Of God. My question is: I mat a really nice guy and we have been friends for a long while, I had stated having feeling for him but the...

View more questions Search