Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    siberia37 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2008, 10:23 AM
    Washer drain to main sewer plug?
    We have a washer floor drain that has always been slow and is now totally clogged. I've tried snaking it out with a flat sewer rod, but the curve in the drain's P trap is so sharp it just won't go. The last time we had plumbers over to fix it they recommended to stop using the floor drain and install a new pipe that goes directly to the main sewer line. The main sewer plug (for the cleanout) is only about 5 feet away from the washer and a couple feet above it.

So my question is, is there any kind of easy fitting I can use to take the washer drain hose (it reaches) and simply drain it through the main sewer plug? Simply removing the main sewer drain plug and putting the washer hose in works, but this leaves the main sewer unplugged which makes the whole basement smell. Is there a "koscher" way to do this or is what I'm trying to do totally against plumbing code?

I've attached an illustration that should make this clearer.
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 31, 2008, 11:48 AM
    So my question is, is there any kind of easy fitting I can use to take the washer drain hose (it reaches) and simply drain it through the main sewer plug? Simply removing the main sewer drain plug and putting the washer hose in works, but this leaves the main sewer unplugged which makes the whole basement smell. Is there a "koscher" way to do this or is what I'm trying to do totally against plumbing code?
    This is not only against code but if you hook it up that way you will be endangering your familys health. You would leave a direct open line between your home and the city sewer. Sewer gas's a health hazard and the methane content in it makes it explosive. If you don't wish to cut in a washer station and vent it your best bet is to purchase a power drfill snake and snake the floor drain. Good luck, Tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 31, 2008, 11:53 AM
    "The main sewer plug (for the cleanout) is only about 5 feet away from the washer and a couple feet above it. " Do you mean the sewer or the clean out is higher than the washer? Do not leave the washer drain hanging loosely in the clean out, you are asking for a disaster and could get raw sewage in your basement. You can install a stand pipe by installing a Tee into the existing opening and then a clean out on the open end of the Tee. The stand pipe shopuld be 2' or even 3" and at least 36" tall above the clean out.
    siberia37 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2008, 12:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    "The main sewer plug (for the cleanout) is only about 5 feet away from the washer and a couple feet above it. " Do you mean the the sewer or the clean out is higher than the washer? Do not leave the washer drain hanging loosely in the clean out, you are asking for a disaster and could get raw sewage in your basement. You can install a stand pipe by installing a Tee into the existing opening and then a clean out on the open end of the Tee. The stand pipe shopuld be 2' or even 3" and at least 36" tall above the clean out.
    So are you saying a Tee could be instaled the in the main sewer plug or not? I understand that leaving the washer hose hanging loosely is a bad idea, I just thought there might be an easy way to hook it up the correct way. If I have to do a Tee then that's what I'll have to do though.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 31, 2008, 12:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by siberia37
    You can install a stand pipe by installing a Tee into the existing opening and then a clean out on the open end of the Tee. So are you saying a Tee could be instaled the in the main sewer plug or not? I understand that leaving the washer hose hanging loosely is a bad idea, I just thought there might be an easy way to hook it up the correct way. If I have to do a Tee then that's what I'll have to do though.
    You can't do that without first installing a trap and a vent. If you simply cut in a tee and attached a stand pipe to it you would still leave a direct open link between you and the city sewer. If you remove the clean out and replace it with a tee you will have to add a trap and take a vent off ahead of it. If the city says OK you could install a AAV,(Air Admittance Vent) in place of s outside roof vent. Sorry Bob, Tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 1, 2008, 10:54 AM
    That's OK Tom, I failed to address the trap issue completely.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer gas - did I hook up to main sewer line correctly? [ 3 Answers ]

Moved a mobile home in and ran the sewer line to the main line - on some days I smell sewer gas, and I think it's coming from the vents on the house! - I want to know if I should o had put a "P" trap or something in line before hooking up to main sewer line? I have seen other places saying to...

Main sewer drain line [ 4 Answers ]

I busted up the floor in our basement to put in a bathroom. I was going to tie into the main drain line about 5 feet from the stack and replace the base of the stack. I also wanted to change the existing floor drain which ties in 5 feet further down the line. I busted it all out and the main drain...

Trap in sewer main [ 3 Answers ]

I have a cast iron sewer main in an older home. Just where it exits from under the house, it takes a 90 degree turn downward, then 180 back up, forming a trap. I've never heard of a trap in the main line. Is this normal? Will it lead to clogs? Seems that solids would tend to accumulate at the...

Backup in downstairs toilet-basement washer-outside main drain [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am having (in my opinion) a major plumbing disaster. I have a 2 story house with 2 and 1/2 bathrooms & basement. I have backup in my downstairs toilet (it hasn't overflowed---YET--but pretty close). I also have backup to the tippy top of my washer-which is located in the basement. I...

Do washer drain pipes need a sewer trap? [ 1 Answers ]

My hubby has moved our washer and dryer and it works - mostly. We have some soapy foam coming out of the top of the drain pipe. He raised the pipe and we have less, but still some soapy foam. I wish I had checked your forum earlier as I've learned that washers drain with a lot of pressure. ...

View more questions Search