Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MUNADWI Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2008, 06:54 AM
    Reverse Gear
    Why airplane does not have Reverse Gear?
    beautifulgirl2444 Posts: 8, Reputation: -1
    -

Mar 31, 2008, 09:49 AM
    The airplane can be reversed... but for doing so it would create so much sound that all the airport crew would turn deaf... some airplanes do get reversed themselves like I think MD-83...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 31, 2008, 09:53 AM
    Airplanes are designed to go forward. All the controls, propulsion units etc. are designed to send the plane forward. A plane would not fly backwards, the aerodynamics wouldn't work. Even when rolling on the ground, trying to move the plan backward at anything more than walking speed could damage the controls.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2008, 09:24 PM
    MunaDwI - There are several different aircraft that do more or less have reverse.:: ( Go down about 12 to 14 down the list ,there is one POST THAT SAYS ( AIRCRAFT/REVERSE ) READ THIS POST, When a PROP A/C comes in for a landing and touches down the pilot or copilot will pull the throttles back to where they stop and lift the throttles and pull back further un till they hit a stop , at this time the prop blates rotate and instead of pulling they are pushing against the forward movement of the aircraft, what they just did was put the engines in reverse thurst, slowing and helping to stop the aircraft.;;;;; ON a jet the flaps and flaprons are lowered all the way downthe jet engines are raised up in power (THRUST) which helps it to come to a stop, the engines thrust pushes against the flaps and flaparons. Youeer not going to find this on any small aircraft, OH also on jet aircraft ,the leading front edge of the wings come out and drop down this makes the wings from creating any lift 9 THEY ARE CALLED " SPOILERS " )
    I hope this has helped to answer your question!! GOOD LUCK & GOD BLESS, F.B.E.
    ONE OTHER THING < THERE HAS BEEN TIMES WHEN THEY HAVE BACKED A COMMERCIAL AIRCRAFT OUT AWAY FROOM THE LOADING DOCK BY Using THE JET ENGINES:::
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2008, 09:32 PM
    ScottGem - Heeres a little information for you , ;; If you take a aircraft up and face it directly into the wind and the wind speed is below the stall speed of your aircraft ,pull the throttle back pull the nose up , still heading right into the wind, wind above you stall spead ,guess what YOU WILL FLY BACKWARDS, HOW ( THE WIND WILL CARRY YOU BACKWARD JUST LIKE YOU WERE A KITE OR A BALLONE
    HAVE FUN ON THIS ONE < ITS TRUE> ::: GOOD DAY & GOD BLESS;; F.B.E.
    SC-tbfd Posts: 58, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2008, 08:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Blue Eagle
    ScottGem - Heeres a little information for you , ;; If you take a aircaft up and face it directly into the wind and the wind speed is below the stall speed of your aircraft ,pull the throttle back pull the nose up , still heading right into the wind, wind above you stall spead ,guess what YOU WILL FLY BACKWARDS, HOW ( THE WIND WILL CARRY YOU BACKWARD JUST LIKE YOU WERE A KITE OR A BALLONE
    HAVE FUN ON THIS ONE < ITS TRUE> ::: GOOD DAY & GOD BLESS;; F.B.E.

sort of a trick answer there. Technically backwards relative to the ground but not actually 'flying' backwards

and in response to the original post many jet aircraft (and variable pitch turbo props) have thrust reversers to help slow the craft after landing. Modern jets have an auto setting that will engage the thrust reverse once the nose wheel touches down. If left on long enough the plane would move backwards but there are no mirrors on jets so I wouldn't recommend it.

As a side note I believe there is a commercial jet that allows the pilot to engage the thrust reverse while still in flight but I can't remember which.
    aeronaut Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2008, 01:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SC-tbfd
    sort of a trick answer there. technically backwards relative to the ground but not actually 'flying' backwards

and in response to the original post many jet aircraft (and variable pitch turbo props) have thrust reversers to help slow the craft after landing. modern jets have an auto setting that will engage the thrust reverse once the nose wheel touches down. if left on long enough the plane would move backwards but there are no mirrors on jets so i wouldn't recommend it.

As a side note I believe there is a commercial jet that allows the pilot to engage the thrust reverse while still in flight but I can't remember which.
    To my best knowledge, there are no jet aircraft that automatically deploy reverse thrust under any circumstances, even on landing. What they have that happens automatically is the deployment of wing spoilers and wheel brakes. An automatic thrust reversal system would be a very dangerous thing to have around if it went haywire in flight.

But I do believe you are right about a very few aircraft that allow some reverse thrust in flight. I believe the DC-8 could use idle reverse on two of its four engines as an airborne speed brake. Again, this technology is outdated; no US passenger air carrier even flies these aircraft any longer. Modern jet airliners are designed giving much redundancy in sytems to prevent reverse thrust inflight.
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2008, 11:35 PM
    AS a pilot of multi engine a/c and single and multi engine a/c ,with over 5000 hrs. of pic I will tell you that no a/c will have the reverse of the engines as long as in flight , the a/c has to be on the ground with all landing gear touching the pavement mainly the front landing gear, as stated above it would be extreamly dangers if it would go into reverse before touchdown, there has to be compression down ward on the gear before you can go into reverse of engines . I have never heard of any type a/c that could durning flight ::: What I said above about flying backwards ,you can . To explin better - go up and face the a/c into a wind that is ABOVE the STALL speed of the a/c ,and it 9 THE WIND will carry you backward, as long as you hold the nose up and the wind remains above your stall speed . YOU ALL HAVE A GOOD NIGHT AND GOOD LUCK & GOD BLESS ::: F.B.E.
    SC-tbfd Posts: 58, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2008, 12:22 AM
    aeronaut: I believe you are correct about the auto deploy, I think I was confusing the reversers with the auto spoilers and brakes on the airbus 320/340.

FBE: I have to disagree. There are many references on line to the dc8 and the c17 being able to engage reverse thrust while in flight. Here is a sample from wikki

In-flight operation

Some aircraft are able to safely use reverse thrust in flight, though the majority of these are propeller-driven. In-flight use of reverse thrust has several advantages: It allows for rapid deceleration, enabling quick changes of speed; it also prevents the speed buildup normally associated with steep dives, allowing for rapid loss of altitude, which can be especially useful in hostile environments such as combat zones, and when making steep approaches to land.

For example, the ATR 72 turboprop can reverse thrust in flight, should the appropriate control lock be withdrawn. The Hawker Siddeley Trident, a 120-180 seat airliner, was capable of descending at up to 10,000 ft/min (3,048 m/min) by use of the thrust reversers, though this capability was rarely used. The US Air Force's C-17A is one of the few modern aircraft that uses reverse thrust in flight. The Boeing-manufactured aircraft is capable of in-flight deployment of reverse thrust on all four engines to facilitate steep tactical descents up to 15,000 ft/min (4,600 m/min) into combat environments. The Saab 37 Viggen (retired in November 2005) also had the ability to use reverse thrust before landing, enabling the use of many roads constructed in Sweden to double as wartime runways.

The Shuttle Training Aircraft, a highly modified Grumman Gulfstream II, uses reverse thrust in flight to help simulate the Space Shuttle aerodynamics so astronauts can practice landings.

I also disagree with the nose wheel having to be on the ground . Here is a link to video of an airbus landing. You can clearly see the reverse doors open while the nose is still in the air. ( power is not applied until the nose wheel is down so that may very well be limited, I couldn't find proof either way)

click here for video

And to the original poster:
    It seems as though the dc-9 and B717 did indeed have a 'reverse'. Search you tube for power back from gate to see video of these planes backing away from the gate unassisted

May 13, 2008, 04:49 AM
    SC-tbfd:

You are correct that there are aircraft that will allow thrust reversers to deploy before the nose gear is on the ground. I have 6000+ hours in various 737 models and they can deploy reverse thrust with only the mains on the ground.
    dayslug24 Posts: 62, Reputation: 5

May 14, 2008, 04:17 PM
    The "weight on wheel" switches on the main gear have to be in ground position for the t'r's to deploy. The nose prox's on SOME a/c do not have to be in this condition, so you can deploy while the nose is still in the air, but I would think that would make for a hell of a slap on the pavement for the nose strut.

May 14, 2008, 09:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dayslug24
    but I would think that would make for a hell of a slap on the pavement for the nose strut.
    It would seem so, but in actuality it can be done smoothly. Personally, I never used that technique on the airplanes that had that capability. It is a lot more work for negligible benefit, if any.
    skemcis Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2008, 02:14 PM
    Anyone remember the SeaBee? It has a manual reversible propeller. The control is mounted on the roof of the cabin, and when used, moves the prop for push/pull configuration. Very handy for backing away from docks etc. I charter one quite frequently on Vancouver Island for work. An amazing little aircraft.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton bay ceiling fan, reverse blade w/ no reverse on remote [ 5 Answers ]

I just bought a house and 1 fan is in reverse. I can't find a switch on the fan and there's no reverse on the remote. This is a Hampton Bay fan. The remote says it's model: UC7083T. I also thought there must be a trick with the remote.

Manual Gear [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking for someone who teach the Manual gear.. or anyone have a speaial ways to learn it, please also leave me message, thks.

No power from last gear [ 3 Answers ]

I have a kia sephia and I changed tth O2 sensor and everything was OK. The check engine light came on after 2 weeks and the code said it was a defective o2 sensor. The same one that I changed. I replaced the top one again and in the meantime, I changed the plugs(NKG) and the wires. The light...

View more questions Search