Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2008, 01:11 AM
    I may lose my driver's license, scary.
    I need to renew my driver's license. Such a simple thing. The last time I did it, they forgot to check my vision. The time before that, the guy let it slide. My ophthalmologist found my vision to be 20/20 +2. I'm not sure what the plus two means. But my vision changes, sometimes hourly.

Surgery in 2005 has improved things from 20/80 or worse. I drove 40-50 miles to and from work like that for many years. I have only been in one accident, ages ago (I was drinking and passed out behind the wheel.) The vision test passes you if you can read street signs at 20/40. I usually don't bother trying to read street signs.

Basically, since the surgeries, I no longer drive at night. They took out something that gave me depth perception at night. But, I have to jump through their vision hoop somehow or lose my license. And I'm an excellent driver.

Has anyone had an experience like this?
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Mar 31, 2008, 03:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by simoneaugie
    Has anyone had an experience like this?
    I do not think you are an excellent driver.
    An excellent driver would not drink and drive, or drive while being a danger to others by not even trying to read street signs.
    With all respect : seeing your health (sight) situation, it may be better not to drive any longer.
    An excellent driver would recognize that.
    I know this is not what you want to hear.
    Sometimes the truth is not pleasant...
    ;)
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2008, 05:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Credendovidis
    I do not think you are an excellent driver.
    An excellent driver would not drink and drive, or drive while being a danger to others by not even trying to read street signs.
    ;)
    A. Ages ago does not mean she is drinking and driving now.
    B. Who reads signs when they go the same route everyday and know the roads (and signs) like the back of their hand! ;)

C. I know many people who are labeled 'legally blind' that drive.
    D. They don't have to know you have a problem driving at night. I know many people that simply do not drive at night because they know they have a problem.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2008, 06:44 PM
    Go see your eye doctor and have him prescribe a pair of glasses. Wear them when you feel your vision is changing. You will probably flunk the vision tests without the glasses.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 31, 2008, 07:23 PM
    vision changes hourly, hang around the drivers testing place till it is on a better hour??

But seriiously if you can't past the vision test for driving, you don't need to be driving, sorry, but it is for MY safety and yours.
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2008, 07:27 PM
    Eat fresh vegetables with lutein and lycopene, quercetin, bioflavonoids and vitamin A
    Take bilberry, eyebright, ginkgo and Zeaxanthin
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2008, 09:24 PM
    I agree that drinking and driving is unsafe. I don't do that anymore.

Thanks NOhelp4you, better nutrition could get me past the test, along with low stress levels and good sleep. I appreciate the validation. The truth is great too, thanks guys.

Just reading here how important detail vision is to some people makes me wonder if seeing every little detail is part of what makes some people so angry and irritable when they drive. Is it? I always watch the other driver's basic driving mood, head and tire motions. I don't need to see their driving record (or the cross street) to know they drive impatiently or thoughtlessly. Taking another street to avoid such a person is usually wise. Pulling over, after signaling, lets them continue without having to deal with me being "in their way."

My husband can read a bumper sticker four blocks away, but when he's tired or distracted, things can get dicey and there are times when you just shouldn't drive. All I'm saying is that even though the vision test is the only real test given to us after we get our license, good detail vision does not ensure that someone drives well.

To those of you with good vision, drive well, you are in control of a lethal weapon. Please don't forget that pedestrians have the right of way, always, even when it's raining.
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2008, 09:28 PM
    Yes often people with good vision do make crummy drivers. I wonder which is worse a good sited impatient aggressive driver that tailgates, weaves and cuts you off then cusses you out or someone with poor eye sight that is more cautious.
    confusedbyitall Posts: 48, Reputation: -2

Jul 14, 2008, 10:01 PM
    It sounds like you can see fine, is that right, but the question is whether it might just be bad enough vision during the driver's exam that the eye test might cause you difficulties? If that is the case, I'd say you both are probably fine to drive, I'd think, and probably don't really need glasses. If the glasses would help, and if you can recognize when you really need them to drive, then get a pair, take the test without them if they let you take the vision part twice, simply stating that you want to try to pass without having the negative endorsement on the license. If you can pass with the glasses for sure, but know you can see usually without, drive without. Just do the right thing.
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Jul 14, 2008, 10:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by simoneaugie
    My husband can read a bumper sticker four blocks away, but when he's tired or distracted, things can get dicey and there are times when you just shouldn't drive. All I'm saying is that even though the vision test is the only real test given to us after we get our license, good detail vision does not ensure that someone drives well..
    But being able to see other cars and road signs certainly helps :)

It seems to me as though your fairly safe to have on the road if the driving record you provided us is true.. I mean accidents happen that's life. And if you can't see I would strongly suggest not driving. On the other hand, if you see well a majority of the time I think you could pass just by going on a good eye day. With glasses you could even go to a drugstore and get those reading glasses or something and see if they help.

Just curious and you don't have to answer but what exactly is wrong with your eyes?
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2008, 10:37 PM
    If I'm not mistaken, I believe the vision tests are garbage. When I renewed my license here in GA 3 - 4 months ago, my vision test was...

Look in this microscope-like contraption. Now, I have turned on a light on either the left, right, both, or none. Tell me which one?

... it meant nothing.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2008, 11:04 PM
    A couple of comments:

1. Ask about a night driving restriction

2. Exercise the eye muscles frequently by changing focus from near to far.

3. iZon lenses might help you. iZonĀ® High Resolution Eyeglass Lenses: How to Get WOWed

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Driver's License [ 3 Answers ]

Hello everyone, My name is Sylvester I am from Chicago, a new comer to Atlanta Georgia I need a drivers license in Georgia, my license was suspended in Chicago Illinois.

How to get driver's license [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a canadian citizen living in the states. How can I get a driver's license when I don't have a social security card?

Immigration and driver's license [ 3 Answers ]

Just curious. In Florida the Department Of Motor Vehicles requires You show your birth certificate and social security card to obtain a driver's License. So how do illegal aliens get a driver's license, when the SS# number May belong to another person or its just fictitious??

Driver's License Check [ 4 Answers ]

Just received this e-mail from a friend. Might want to pass it on. This is really upsetting, thought I should pass it along. Check your Drivers License... Now you can see anyone's Driver's License on the Internet, Including your own! I just searched for mine and there it Was... picture and...

I was caught without a driver's license. [ 6 Answers ]

I'm 19 and I live in Tennessee. A few weeks back I was caught passing a car in a no passing lane and I was pulled over. They gave me a ticket for no drivers livense and passing on double lines. The cop told me if I could get my license by the court date he would let it go but I won't be able to get...

View more questions Search