Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    singingirl1722 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2006, 05:50 PM
    Need some help please
    Currently my boyfriend is on disability and it's in his mother's name for him since he has a brain injury and when he was approved he was unable to sign his name or walk or pretty much everything. He has a bruised brain and has passed the mental tests he's been given. He is able to drive but cannot work right now due to all the pain he is in and his short term memory isn't good enough for him to go back to work in car sales. His father is being very controlling and will not allow his mother to sign over the money to be in his name (my boyfriends). We need to know what legally we can do to get this done. My boyfriend is unable to get a home of his own without the money being in his name. We are also looking to get married sometime in the future and his father states that he will not at any point sign over the money even into my name once we are married even though I will have power of attorney over him. Can anyone help us? My boyfriend's father is just trying to control everyone and everything. Please help!
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2006, 06:04 PM
    Have you and your boyfriend go to the place that handles the paying of the disability and talk to them and have them pay him the money instead. If he is able to sign, they will pay the disability in his name since the money is suppose to be for him.

You then also might be able to sue mother/father for the money they still have of your bfs. That is, if they won't give it to you after you switch names.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2006, 07:24 AM
    Hi,
    You will probably need a lawyer to do this. It sometimes takes a lawyer, working with you, just to get disability payments for someone in the first place. Turning over the legal receiver of money for your boyfriend from his Mom or Dad to you isn't going to be that easy. You can talk with the Disability people anyway, and it will give you an indication of whether you need a lawyer or not.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 8, 2006, 08:14 AM
    The money would be in the mothers name if she was assigned as his guardian, if she is merely the power of attorney ( signing for him) then the money should be in his name.

It is possible that she had the money sent to her account to control it and protect him.

He needs to first talk to the people at the disability office and see if she is power of attorney or guadian. If she is guardian, he will have to take her to court to be deemed incontrol of hisself.

And in the end if she still will not give the money over, he will have to sue in court to get his money.
    prefabber Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

May 26, 2006, 12:33 PM
    Hello, You and your boyfriend need to go to the and have a heart to heart talk with them. If that does not work, GET YOUR boyfriend a real lawyer. Depending on his age and his cap. If he can drive a car,than it should be in his name..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search