Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Evil dead Posts: 116, Reputation: -5

Mar 30, 2008, 02:52 PM
    Music damning me?
    Is it wrong for me to listen to Metal as a Christian? I know there are some bands in the Black & Death metal sub-genres that are openly blasphemous to the Lord God, but bearing in mind I'm aspiring to be a devout Christian, I do not take any blasphemous lyrics on board. For example there was one song I used to like: Roadrunner United - Annihilation By the Hands of God. This song immediately appealed to me as some of you might already know >_>.

Anyway after a few listens I looked up the lyrics and found this:

'The prophets of God have left you solaced indeed
    A zombie of Jesus insane with his belief
    Is all that you know and all you take as you go
    You're one with the rich and only take from the poor

Nailed to the cross by your hands and your feet
    Your washed up religion is now worthless and weak
    Tenacious conviction has caught up with your soul
    There's no place for mercy in the myths of your lord

Little lamb of sacrifice, full of Bible hymns
    Hiding in the house of God, from his suffering
    Pray the son will come and call just to make us dead
    Bring upon the end of times…worship if you dare

Wiping out masses just for s and a grin
    Is all an illusion of the spell that you're in
    Religious confliction has impaired your control
    In his resurrection, revelations unfold

He is you the sacrifice, in the house of bless
    Crucify yourself to death just to get to him
    Die…. Will you….

Annihilation by the hands of God
    Mutilate me….
    Unforgiving….
    Christ ill willing….
    Heaven hates you….

When it's time, I won't look back
    Heaven's gates under attack

Satan…. (I did not even know he was chanting 'Satan' here, I thought he was just getting a little excited with all the growling)
    Satan….
    Satan….
    Satan….

Bring upon the end of times…. Worship if you dare

Mutilate me….
    Unforgiving….
    Christ ill willing….
    Heaven hates you…'

I was extremely angry at my stupidity when I saw this and immediately quarantined the song. Now I only listen to it if I want to practise the drum techniques found on it.

Now I know a lot of the songs I listened to are probably rooted in the flesh of this world and not of the Lord God but I figured I might as well continue listening to it to gain insight on what is really happening with the world. If there's one thing metal does right, it teaches you about the world and what lies beneath the surface. I can't stand Gospel music, I seriously think it sucks. Unless I'm in church where there are ' African Songs of Praise - waaaaay more powerful than Gospel' I would not touch music that sings about God because it's usually watered down, loads of whiny singing and annoying courouses.

But really am I digging a hole by continuing to listen to Metal even though I openly detest some of the veiws stated in them? I also hope to make a Christian Metal band in my spare time.

EDIT: WHy are blasphemous metal bands and anti-religious people in general so spineless? Would they have the balls to insult Islam? Or have Christian's really become like Lambs for Slaughter (not saying they can slaughter us but they sure as hell have enough things to say about us.)
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2008, 03:01 PM
    Those lyrics are anti-Christian. Why not listen to Christian metal?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2008, 03:02 PM
    I use to listen to all the Christians discussing is it okay to work at this place because they are associated with this company and they support that company that makes bullets so maybe I shouldn't work there. It got to the point I wondered where a Christian could work.
    The Bible says the closer you get to God the less you will desire things that are not of him.
    Christians put the cart before the horse and they want you to 'clean up your life and get rid of everything' instead of allowing God to guide you.
    I am not saying listen to heavy metal but to allow the Holy Spirit to work it out for you.
    You already feel certain songs are not appropriate. They will be 'weaned' out in time as needed. I never really liked heavy metal but there are a few songs I do like that are decent.
    Also have you listened to Christian rock? You might like some of the older groups like Resurrection Band.

YouTube - Glenn Kaiser Band - Do Lord (Live) - Awesome Slide Guitar

YouTube - Resurrection (REZ) Band - Love Comes Down
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2008, 03:10 PM
    Glass Harp with Phil Keaggy is the best (unbelievable live)

YouTube - Phil Keaggy-Glass Harp.

YouTube - Glass Harp "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" Sept. 23rd, 2006

YouTube - Glass Harp "Changes" 1972
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2008, 03:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    Too cool that you know of Phil K!

I've met him. An awesome guy... and incredible musician and guitarist - ranked up there with the likes of John McLaughlin, Carlos Santana, etc...

... but I'm not sure one who likes "metal" would enjoy Keaggy...
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2008, 03:21 PM
    I use to go see him in the 70's :D
    He can make the guitar sound like anything he wants!
    I want to see him again but my trucks and van always break down.

Resurrection Band is more metal.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 30, 2008, 03:26 PM
    We are not dammed or doomed for anything we do, we are saved by accepting Christ as our Savior. After we are saved, we are a work in progress, improving every part of our life, a little at a time

As a growing Christian we need to try and separate us from many of the evils of the world if we know it is wrong.

Now I will say there is a lot of country western music just as bad in many ways, But when something is obvious anti christian, we know as a christian it is wrong for us to do.
    cheeseandtofu Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2008, 01:23 PM
    I ran into the same problem a couple of years ago as a young Christian. I never listened to Metal, but I liked a lot of classic rock, which can be just as bad.
    I can tell you from personal experience that when God puts it in your heart to leave it (and it sounds to me like He's starting to), you'll be able to do it. I know when I realized I had to throw the Queen CD my dad had given me with love I felt like I couldn't do it. God never gives us a task we can't accomplish, though.
    Remember 1 Corinthians 2:23 "All things are lawful for me, but not all things are helpful; all things are lawful for me, but not all things edify."
    Lula001 Posts: 42, Reputation: 4

Apr 18, 2008, 01:26 PM
    I am sorry, this is just brain washing by the church, IF there is indeed a God, and IF he is the forgiving, divine, all knowing being that religious people say he is, the he WILL NOT mind you listening to metal or any type of music, because he will know what is in your heart.
    tomterm8 Posts: 76, Reputation: 8

Apr 18, 2008, 01:29 PM
    I am fairly confident that if god was against Metal, he could have banned it.
    cheeseandtofu Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2008, 01:30 PM
    Also, try checking out a Christian bookstore or website for new music. It really helped me leave my classic and punk rock music when I started listening to Christian music. I can't really listen to some Christian music, either, but there is some really neat stuff out there, you just have to look for it.
    And its good to know what goes on in the world and see just how much people need Christ. Jesus never called us to be secluded from the world, but to shine in it and be set apart within it. However, you also have to be careful not to use this as an excuse not to do what God is asking of you. :)
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2008, 01:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil dead
    EDIT: WHy are blasphemous metal bands and anti-religious people in general so spineless? Would they have the balls to insult Islam?
    What makes you think metal bands and anti-religious people are spineless? Seriously I am not trying to start an argument but what do you have to back this up. I am not anti-religious I just don't believe in God. And I went to Catholic school for 9 years and was an alter boy for 3 of those years.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 18, 2008, 02:03 PM
    Yes, many who feel free to attack Christians and Jewish faiths often are weak in attacking the Muslim faith directly.
    Lula001 Posts: 42, Reputation: 4

Apr 18, 2008, 02:09 PM
    Oh no, I feel free to disagree with all religions, I don't consider myself to favour one over the other :-)
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2008, 06:25 PM
    The point is that (up to the edit part) they don't want to listen to music with anti christian words to it so that is their purgative -whether anybody else wants to listen to it is their choice.
    Onan Posts: 55, Reputation: 4

Apr 18, 2008, 10:58 PM
    Wow, are these guys still around?

I used to listen to them.

My favorites were,

White Heart
    Petra
    David and the Giants
    Degarmo and Key and
    Mylon LaFever(don't know if that's correct spelling)

I wouldn't consider him in the same range but I really liked David Meece(again not sure about spelling, it's been a long time... lol)

Although I am now a non christian I still consider all of these guys great musicians.
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2008, 06:53 AM
    Ok.. I don't know how one aspires to be a "devout" Christian.. you either have a relationship with Jesus or you don't. I like some rock, I like some country, I like some Christian.. that is my taste. However, the music I listen to doesn't put down Christian beliefs. If you have a relationship with Jesus why would you WANT to listen to anything that puts HIM down or mocks HIM. Would you listen to music that made a mockery of your Mother, brother.. or anyone that was close to you? I don't think so. Hey, but that is just me.
    SkyGem Posts: 177, Reputation: 18

May 11, 2008, 01:28 PM
    Is it wrong for me to listen to Metal as a Christian? I know there are some bands in the Black & Death metal sub-genres that are openly blasphemous to the Lord God, but bearing in mind I'm aspiring to be a devout Christian, I do not take any blasphemous lyrics on board. For example there was one song I used to like: Roadrunner United - Annihilation By the Hands of God. This song immediatly appealed to me as some of you might already know >_>.

A Christian is a person who Believes in Jesus Christ and follows Him. The first question you should ask yourself is: "Are the words to this music in keeping with the teachings of Jesus?" If the answer is yes, then your second question would be: "Why would I not listen to it?"

If the answer to the first question is no, then you already know your answer. It would be very bad, spiritually speaking, for you to listen to this kind of music if you are a Christian. Other non-Christians should also be wary of songs that depict violence, anti-Christ themes as that is how satan grabs control of your thinking. He does it most deceptively, however. Songs of this type will deceive Christians into believing that parts of it are alright, as you have demonstrated, so they think that for the most part, the music is safe to listen to. It is not. It is just the same as someone trying to invite you into a non-Christian way of thinking. You must always use Good Judgment and common sense along with your Faith and Christian teachings in order to avoid falling into the dark pit that those who follow the devil would like for you to fall into. You will know these people by their fruits and how they advise you. Do others tell you it is alright to listen to this? Do they present (weak) arguments to try to convince you that there is no God? No satan? The bottom line is this: Do They Really Care About Your Spiritual Well-Being and Will They Be With You When You Pass On and Have to Make Justifications to God For What You Followed in this World? No. They will not be there with you and could care less about whether you are Saved by Jesus or not. And you know they are hoping you won't be.

Consider this, they themselves are not Saved, so why should they care about your Salvation? You are nothing to them. Never were and never will be. That's the fact about this. So, please be mature enough to understand that this kind of music serves only one purpose. To bring the listener/music practitioner closer to the adversary. It can serve no other purpose. If it was good, Christian music it would lift Christ up as Our Lord and Savior and the only ONE through whom we can receive Salvation that is so important once we leave this Earth plane as well as while we are here. The way to test music is through the WORDS it contains. The words contain the story of whether the theme is Christian or anti-Christian when you are comparing songs of this type. Now, not all songs produced will of course mention Christ. But again, the message they also contain will tell the story. Why would an aspiring Christian want to be purposefully mislead into listening to trash like this I want to ask you? You cannot serve two Gods. You have to make a choice. And you are the one responsible for making that choice since God gave you Free Will. But remember, whatever choice you make there are Consequences! So, be guided by your Faith and belief in God and even though non-Christians would want to sway you into their camp, shun them and run as fast as you can from their opinions which can only lead to your ultimate demise.

I was extremely angry at my stupidity when I saw this and immediatly quarantined the song. Now I only listen to it if I want to practise the drum techniques found on it.

You were very wise to quarantine the song! It would be even more wise if you do not practice the drums with this kind of "music" as the mere remembrance of what the music stands for can instill the thoughts of the evil message contained therein and that would be a BIG problem for you as a Christian.

Now I know alot of the songs I listened to are probably rooted in the flesh of this world and not of the Lord God but I figured I might as well continue listening to it to gain insight on what is really happening with the world.

You are very wrong in using that as justification, my friend. That is EXACTLY how the devil wants you to proceed. He says to you, "Proceed! Nothing will hurt you. They just don't want for you to have any fun, that's all!" But don't you believe him. He is the anti-Christ and he is a very dangerous being who opposes all that Jesus stands for. Be Guarded in your thinking, dear friend. Be Guarded!

If theres one thing metal does right, it teaches you about the world and what lies beneath the surface. I can't stand Gospel music, I seriously think it sucks. Unless i'm in church where there are ' African Songs of Praise - waaaaay more powerful than Gospel' I would not touch music that sings about God because it's usally watered down, loads of whiny singing and annoying courouses.

Again, be aware that that is not the Christian way of thinking nor should it be your point of view. That is how the DECEPTION starts. If the adversary can get you to think that Gospel music is whiny and the singing is not interesting, etc. and you believe that, then he's got you! But what does he have to offer? Deception! Lies! Vile Untruths! Blasphemy! All things that are very dangerous to your soul and spirit! Yes, satan can make the lyrics and music sound so very interesting that you may even become hypnotized into believing its message. That is how he operates in his deceitful cunning work! But you should know better and that is why I am telling you this for your consideration. I cannot make you stop listening to this music because of your free will but I can sure tell you how this will all end if you don't. You will not like the consequences. They will be very detrimental to your spiritual well-being and God will not be pleased.

But really am I digging a hole by continuing to listen to Metal even though I openly detest some of the veiws stated in them? I also hope to make a Christian Metal band in my spare time.

Yes, friend and God's child, you are very much digging a hole for yourself and it is getting deeper and deeper until you may cause yourself to not be able to see the Light. If you truly openly detest some views, then you must STOP listening to that which causes you to detest it. That is all you have to do. It's all very simple but it starts with YOU. Do you have the will power to Stop? Do you care about your soul and spirit and what will happen to it once you pass on to the Afterlife? If the answer is yes, you will reassess your motives for wishing to continue to listen to something that places you in Grave Spiritual Danger!

EDIT: WHy are blasphemous metal bands and anti-religious people in general so spineless?

They are spineless because they simply don't care about your soul. That's why! But why should they? They would rather you enjoy your music and be damned later on at your judgment if you do not cease that activity and ask for forgiveness with a contrite heart to Jesus Christ. What do they care about you? They don't. Again, they attract each other and flock together like magnets of destruction and if they can welcome you to the portal of the evil one, then their mission is accomplished and they think they have won favor with their demon. They are very wrong. But that will not stop them from trying.
    I have gone through this same kind of argument before with some of those un-Believers who are lost. They are very passionate about trying to deceive those who are borderline or even those who are Saved. But I am just as passionate about bringing out the Truth about these deceivers for all to know. God is not mocked! He sees all, hears all, and knows all. In time, those who would come against Him will come to know the error in their ways. I pray it is not too late when they finally reach that conclusion. May God Bless You and help you to keep a focused mind when tempted to listen to unholy music and lead you to see the Light in this most important matter.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2008, 02:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Yes, many who feel free to attack Christians and Jewish faiths often are weak in attacking the Muslim faith directly.
    I think it's easier to attack what you know, if you are culturally Christian or Jewish of course that will be the religions you lash out at not Islam as you'd know very little about it.

"I hate it when those Muslims do those things with the stuff!" Doesn't make for a very interesting or informed lyric.

Perhaps there are musicians who reference Islam negatively but I doubt they are rock/metal musicians who on the majority come from western white (and therefore Jewish and Christian) backgrounds.

To the OP have you listened to P.O.D? You might like them they are a Christian metal band.
    guitfnky Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2008, 02:55 PM
    Is it wrong for me to listen to Metal as a Christian? I know there are some bands in the Black & Death metal sub-genres that are openly blasphemous to the Lord God, but bearing in mind I'm aspiring to be a devout Christian, I do not take any blasphemous lyrics on board. For example there was one song I used to like: Roadrunner United - Annihilation By the Hands of God. This song immediatly appealed to me as some of you might already know >_>.

Anyway after a few listens I looked up the lyrics and found this:

'The prophets of God have left you solaced indeed
    A zombie of Jesus insane with his belief
    Is all that you know and all you take as you go
    You're one with the rich and only take from the poor

Nailed to the cross by your hands and your feet
    Your washed up religion is now worthless and weak
    Tenacious conviction has caught up with your soul
    There's no place for mercy in the myths of your lord

Bring upon the end of times…worship if you dare

Wiping out masses just for s and a grin
    Is all an illusion of the spell that you're in
    Religious confliction has impaired your control
    In his resurrection, revelations unfold

He is you the sacrifice, in the house of bless
    Crucify yourself to death just to get to him
    Die…. will you….

Mutilate me….
    Unforgiving….
    Christ ill willing….
    Heaven hates you….

When it's time, I won't look back
    Heaven's gates under attack

Satan…. (I did not even know he was chanting 'Satan' here, I thought he was just getting a little excited with all the growling)
    Satan….
    Satan….
    Satan….

Bring upon the end of times…. worship if you dare

Mutilate me….
    Unforgiving….
    Christ ill willing….
    Heaven hates you…'

I was extremely angry at my stupidity when I saw this and immediatly quarantined the song. Now I only listen to it if I want to practise the drum techniques found on it.

Now I know alot of the songs I listened to are probably rooted in the flesh of this world and not of the Lord God but I figured I might as well continue listening to it to gain insight on what is really happening with the world. If theres one thing metal does right, it teaches you about the world and what lies beneath the surface. I can't stand Gospel music, I seriously think it sucks. Unless i'm in church where there are ' African Songs of Praise - waaaaay more powerful than Gospel' I would not touch music that sings about God because it's usally watered down, loads of whiny singing and annoying courouses.

EDIT: WHy are blasphemous metal bands and anti-religious people in general so spineless? Would they have the balls to insult Islam? Or have Christian's really become like Lambs for Slaughter (not saying they can slaughter us but they sure as hell have enough things to say about us.)
    I'd say you're fine listening to whatever you like the sound of, regardless of the lyrics. What matters most is what YOU believe.

For example, there are plenty of bands that I listen to that have lyrics that I totally disagree with, but if you like the sound of something, there's not much you can do about it, and I don't see the point in punishing yourself by avoiding it. Just ignore the lyrics, focus on the melody and rhythm of the vocals, if you like those, and on the music itself.

If, for some reason you can't get past the lyrics, and they're interfering with your enjoyment of the music, well in that case, I could understand not wanting to listen to it...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I Need New Music! [ 35 Answers ]

I would like to see other people's favorite songs/albums/artists. I have a very wide taste in music, especially independent, and its always interesting to find new music. A few genres I have been trying to get into are: techno, goth rock, anything German, indie rock, new wave, 90s indie pop, power...

How do I insert a music player in my web site, to upload my own music in it? [ 2 Answers ]

How do I insert a music player in my web site, to upload my own music in it? Thanks to all who help me:)

New music [ 1 Answers ]

Did anyone hear Robin S's new song Conichiwa es? If so, what do you think?

View more questions Search