Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jdwardrop Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2008, 02:16 PM
    Hippa privacy law
    A worker had gotten my release for mental and revealed some information that was in my records to my husband and is threatening to divorce me over it so can some one help me figure out about my rights
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2008, 06:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jdwardrop
    a worker had gotten my release for mental and revealed some information that was in my records to my husband and is threatening to divorce me over it so can some one help me figure out about my rights

Not a HIPAA matter which refers only to medical personnel. I assume the worker is not in the medical field?

You can always consult with an Attorney. You can also ask your husband why he's over reacting to this extent - if you have lied to him it's a different category than if he knew and now he's somehow embarrassed. What I mean is IF your husband divorces you over this you were damaged by the fact that you lied, not by the release of the info.

If the release of the info causes the divorce, then it's a different situation.

And then you would have to prove damages, financial or otherwise, and if you DO sue and get a Judgment against the person who released the info, then you'd have to try to collect.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 31, 2008, 06:26 AM
    You need to define who this worker was, and how they obtained your records. While its probably a breach of ethics, it may not be a HIPAA violation depending on the answer to those questions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hippa Violation Or Privacy Law Violation? [ 16 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend got me pregnant and left me at four months. I have many physical problems and he had his friend who is a pharmicist look up my perscriptions (I live 40 miles away from that store location and have never been there) and then the pharmacisit shared all the information. Can I do...

HIPPA Privacy act [ 5 Answers ]

What are the 12 circumstances that personal health information can be used for purposes unrelated to health care?

Privacy Law Violations [ 2 Answers ]

Is there any legal recourse if a hospital has released your full name, date of birth and social security number to a private citizen? (Mailing error)

Is this a Violation of Hippa or my right to privacy [ 10 Answers ]

I am a respected healthcare professional. I visit patients in their homes 40 hours per week and have been doing so for years. I am therefore acquainted with a very large number of people in the community. Recently I went to a clinic to be evaluated for Health Care. I was told that the Dr. (Surgeon)...

Hippa law [ 1 Answers ]

My employer decided to change our personal medical insurance as most do periodically. I received a six page application with many questions concerning my personal medical history, including diagnoses; Doctor’s name dates hospitals and the list goes on. This application provided was by the...

View more questions Search