Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Feb 7, 2006, 02:35 PM
    Looking for a good set of tubing cutters
    Hi folks,

I'm looking for a good set of tubing cutters - a regular-sized one for standard pipe cutting (mostly 1/2", but sometimes all the way up to 1-1/4") and also occaisionally for cutting electrical conduit (1/2" EMT), and a "midget" cutter for cutting narrow tubing and (more importantly) for cutting in cramped quarters, such as under a sink or (almost) against a wall, where a full-size cutter would not fit (I hate mini-hacksaws :mad:).

Does anyone recommend any particular brand/model? I'm willing to pay more to get a better cutter, provided that the difference in quality is worth the difference in price. Any suggestions?

A friend of mine recommended getting RIDGID (in fact he is such a fan of RIDGID that he claims any other brand is not worth the money, even if it's a good price). The RIDGID cutters are quite pricey, to say the least. Are they worth it? Or does anyone have a better idea?

Currently I have a midget cutter that I bought in Lowe's for about $9 from some brand called "Superior Tool" (is that a decent brand?). I'm not very happy with it, considering that the blade seems to have worn down in no time at all. Or am I simply overestimating how long the blade is supposed to last before requiring replacement?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 7, 2006, 03:57 PM
    Hey Moshie,

If you're asking what the pros use let me give you a rundown.
    Ridgid #103 Mini cutters to 5/8ths"
    " # 15 " to 1 1/8th." to 1 1/8th." # 20 " to 2 1/8th" # 20 "good set" I gave you the best. I can't comment on the midget cutters that you bought because I've never used anything but Ridged. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Whirlpool tub flexible tubing [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought a American Std. Whirlpool tub open box from Lowe's. I noticed that there are a couple of ~3/16" flexible lines (tygon tubing) that are not connected to anything. One clear blue and is from the water return port. This has what looks to be a small plastic fitting (check valve?) on the...

Bent copper tubing riser [ 6 Answers ]

Hi all. We had a toilet leak in our upstairs bathroom. We've had a couple of plumbers out over the past couple of years to deal with the problem, but their work didn't fix the problem. As a result, our linoleum discolored and the floor got weak. We spent the day yesterday pulling up the...

Yellow Tygon Oil and Fuel Tubing [ 1 Answers ]

I recommend use of yellow Tygon Oil and Fuel line, instead of vinyl tubing, on your 2-cycle applications. It's a superior product and will stay flexible for years. You can obtain it from the following very nice people: http://www.pspmfg.com/FuelLine.html You will be glad you tried it and you will...

Copper tubing off my ABS drain in basement [ 1 Answers ]

Afternoon, I am putting a shower in the basement and have already identified my drain and vent. Here is the question-- on my drain pipe, which is ABS, I have a copper line with a fitting on it tied to the coupling on my drain. It appears to be heading over toward my vent line. I have looked...

Vinyl tubing for plumbing [ 3 Answers ]

The water line for my outdoor hose runs just under the I-beams of my basement ceiling. It is currently 3/4" copper. I want to put that into the ceiling so I can finish the basement off. I found 3/4" clear flexible vinyl tubing at the home improvement store that can be put through the holes in each...

View more questions Search