Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2008, 09:20 AM
    Buying a new TV
    My TV fizzled out, old, not worth repairing. I wandered into the electronics store and the selection is dazzling. The salesperson told me about plasma TVs, I think one was LCD's - is any one kind better than another? Does any one kind make better sense than others?

This is a bedroom set so I'm not looking for a big screen.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2008, 09:30 AM
    Make sure it is the high definition, but I think all TV's are that now anyway.
    I don't know anything about plasma tvs
    I like Sony and Panasonic. Sharp and JVC are good brands too.
    Also Best Buy is better than Circuit City with warranties and so forth.

LCD TV vs Plasma TV Which is Best? from LCD TV Buying Guide

Products of the Year Awards 2007: Picture Perfect: Best TVs of 2007, by EH Staff - Electronic House Product News
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Apr 1, 2008, 08:09 AM
    Judy,

My wife and I chose a 42 inch, HD-LCD TV from Sony as our bedroom TV. Now that said, we enjoy watching movies.

There are many makes and models but if the size of the bedroom is on the small size, look at some of the 30 +/- inch sizes.

I would certainly look at plasmas, but do not purchase one of them without a service contract. Like all HD tv's , parts are high dollar.\
    \
    Personally, I stick to LCD, but I'm not going to fib to you, I like LCDs.
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2008, 08:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by donf
    Judy,

My wife and I chose a 42 inch, HD-LCD TV from Sony as our bedroom tv. Now that said, we enjoy watching movies.

There are many makes and models but if the size of the bedroom is on the small size, look at some of the 30 +/- inch sizes.

I would certainly look at plasmas, but do not purchase one of them without a service contract. Like all HD tv's , parts are high dollar.\
    \
    Personally, I stick to LCD, but I'm not going to fib to you, I like LCDs.

Took your advice - bought a 42 inch and a SONY, also - very pleased. Now if I can figure out the remote...

It was also on sale, which never hurts! And I did get the service agreement. I have a 50 some inch in the livingroom and had 3 service calls during the first 3 months - it's a Panasonic which has a high Consumer Report rating but it was nothing but trouble in the beginning.

Thanks for taking the time to answer (and I know what you mean about watching moves. There never seems to be much on TV and I HATE reality TV).
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 13, 2008, 12:25 PM
    Are you on an antenna, cable or satellite? Always great home shows on cable and satellite.
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2008, 12:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Are you on an antenna, cable or satelite? Always great home shows on cable and satelite.

Cable - but only the first tier. I'm not much of a TV watcher. And I'm cheap!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2008, 12:40 PM
    I love the documentaries and true stories. That is about the extent of my TV watching
    IF 'n when I do bother to turn a TV on.

Apr 13, 2008, 06:51 PM
    Watch Filp This House and you see what I do but on a larger scale than me.
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2008, 06:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Watch Filp This House and you see what I do but on a larger scale than me.

Speaking of Flip This House (how is that for a segue - ?) Bathfitters is coming tomorrow "bright and early" to work on the tub/shower enclosure. At last!

Apr 14, 2008, 01:29 PM
    Love to hear how you like their job. They have done afew jobs in the neighborhoood and most folks were pleased. They even wore blue booties in the house, got to get me some of those.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Buying a telescope [ 3 Answers ]

Is there anyone out there that gaze at the stars? I’m looking into buying a telescope so I can start a new hobby. So what I want to know is what is one of the best and inexpensive telescopes on the market?

Buying a house [ 1 Answers ]

I want to buy a house that is not more than 60 to 75k can get such price I really need it any where is must say am 52 years old.

Buying a house. [ 6 Answers ]

I am buying a house with my boyfriend... however, everything is 100% in my name. We've verbally agreed that we go in 50/50 and walk away 50/50. I know this is an extremely slippery slope, considering everything that can go wrong... but I'm looking for a little advice in regards to protection. ...

Buying a dishwasher [ 2 Answers ]

I need to buy a dishwasher. Any recommendations for a good efficient reasonably priced model?

View more questions Search