Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jcc2777 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2006, 01:13 PM
    Child custody laws
    I have custody of my 4 year old. His mother has visitation every other weekend from 6 pm on Friday till 7 pm on Sunday and every other Wednesday night from 6 pm till 8 am the next morning. I received custody when he was 1 and a half cause I took care of him since he was born. His mother is remarried and has one more child with another on the way. So she will have 4 in all in the next couple of months. I have since gotten engaged and my fiancé has relocated to Texas for a job. I am planning on going in may when we get married and I am planning on taking my son with me. What does the law say about this and what do you think the outcome will be? I offered her a summer visitation and a couple other weeks throughout the year that she could have him and I would pay the travel costs?
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2006, 02:35 PM
    When you move have the custody order ordered in the state, cost for visitation is on her.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 7, 2006, 02:36 PM
    What does the original court order for custody say about leaving or moving out of state. In most of the current court filings, moving has to be oked by the court. You will need to either get her to agree and have your atttonry get her to sign where it is OK, Next if she does not, you will have to file with the court for permission to move. Giving her extended custody ( and offering to pay for transportation one way) will go along way in the eyes of the court.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 7, 2006, 10:03 PM
    The law is not the first consideration, your son is .Are you comfortable with what a move like this could mean to your son.Is it wise for him to spend less time with his mother.The only solution will be between you and your wife I just hope the two of you can still keep this innocent child 's needs before anything else.What does your wife think about this change in the plan?:cool:
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2006, 06:26 AM
    Hi,
    I'm not sure about your state's laws; you might have to check with a lawyer concerning them.
    In the State of VA, you can move anywhere you wish. There is no child custody papers taking away the right of the parent from moving from one state or another, or for that matter, anywhere in the world.
    If you have to move, then by all means, take your son with you, because you have custody. Studies have shown that children adapt to divorce more quickly than most adults. So, I don't think you will be doing harm to your child, especially when you are re-marrying. Your ex cannot stop you from having your own life.
    If she wants visitation with your son, then it's up to her to decide how she will accomplish that, at her expense; not yours.
    You really should consult with a lawyer, just to be sure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child custody [ 6 Answers ]

Can any one give me some avice on child custody?I have sole custody now and the mom is taking me back to court and is asking for full custody.she has been court order to see child on wensdays and every other weekends. She has taken our son two time in last 60 days.how do I keep the sole...

Full physical custody and vacation laws in CA [ 2 Answers ]

I currently have full physical custody of both my daughters. My ex-husband is extremely irate with me because he now has a lien against him for unpaid child support. I am taking the summer off work and I'm planning on taking my daughters from California on a trip to Oregon for 3 weeks to visit...

Ca custody laws [ 4 Answers ]

My husband had a child with a women 6 months before we met. For 4 years, the mother of the child would not let the child visit us because "she would go crazy if she had to send him away", so we would go see him in MN every year. In 03-2005, the child's mother agreed to let him come stay with us (he...

Child Custody [ 6 Answers ]

My step daughters mother is tell her daughter that when she turns 16 (shes 5 now) that she can move in with her ( we have full cousty)... I thought this was up to a judge and not the child... can some one tell me if this is true?. Katrina

NH child custody Laws [ 2 Answers ]

My ex-boyfriend has remarried and is planning on moving to AZ, he wants to take my children away from me, abuse was a past issue for him, I have sole physical custody of my daughter per Virginia court order, but my son has always lived with me since birth and has no existing orders for custody, can...

View more questions Search