Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hypnos Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2008, 10:48 PM
    Teenager charged
    My neighbour's son is 16, and has been charged with Assault and Robbery. The charges really sound bad, but they do amount to he and a friend assaulting a classmate and stealing a pack of cigarettes.

This child has been caught shoplifting twice before, but charges were never laid, although the police has a record.

What can be expected when he goes to court next week? Probation, jail, house arrest?

Any ideas for me to pass along to his mom?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2008, 03:15 PM
    Make sure this kid has an attorney. Tell mom to get him one or he should ask for one at his arraignment if mom can't afford one for him. It will all be up to the judge and prosecutor what kind of sentence he will get.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 30, 2008, 03:59 PM
    Most important factor , is he being tried in adult court or Juv court.
    Most likely probation, depending on if the person hurt was hurt bad or not.
    And in Juv court, they can look at all of the prior trouble even if not convicted and I can see boot camp in his future in Juv court
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2008, 06:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypnos
    My neighbour's son is 16, and has been charged with Assault and Robbery. The charges really sound bad, but they do amount to he and a friend assaulting a classmate and stealing a pack of cigarettes.

This child has been caught shoplifting twice before, but charges were never laid, although the police has a record.

What can be expected when he goes to court next week? Probation, jail, house arrest?

Any ideas for me to pass along to his mom?

How badly injured was the person who was assaulted? I know this doesn't sound "really bad" to you but assaulting someone over a pack of cigarettes does not have a good ring to it and the Court may see it just that way.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 31, 2008, 06:32 AM
    Ok, we have a kid who has been caught shoplifting before. Now his stealing has escalated to violence. It doesn't matter at this point whether he beat up a kid for a pack of cigarettes or beat a store owner for the contents of the cash register. In the eyes of the law, these crimes would be considered roughly equal. By the way, your minimizing the crime doesn't help matters.

He might get probation, but I would be more inclined to think he will get some time in a juvenile facility.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2008, 06:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Ok, we have a kid who has been caught shoplifting before. Now his stealing has escalated to violence. It doesn't matter at this point whether he beat up a kid for a pack of cigarettes or beat a store owner for the contents of the cash register. In the eyes of the law, these crimes would be considered roughly equal. By the way, your minimizing the crime doesn't help matters.

He might get probation, but I would be more inclined to think he will get some time in a juvenile facility.

Good catch on your part - I totally missed the shoplifting escalating to assault.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

This is to all girls. Even if your not a teenager [ 46 Answers ]

If you was to cheat on your boyfriend would you tell him or keep it a secret. This is just a question to find out how many different answers I get. My girlfriend and I are happy togather and she would tell me if she was cheating on me. I know that for a fact.

How to deal with a lying teenager? [ 6 Answers ]

My boyfriend's teenage daughter got caught lying and sneaking to smoke weed. He doesn't want to say the wrong things that might make her become more creative to hide other unacceptable activities? He is more concerned about the lying part and her being easily manipulated by others? How can he...

Missing teenager in Maine [ 8 Answers ]

Hello again - I've asked several questions of the Psychics involving my family - and have had some very enlightening answers that have helped to clear up some age-old mysteries. Now I ask for your help for another family in my area... Last Wednesday, a teen girl, Coreen Wiese, reported on...

Disrespectful teenager [ 4 Answers ]

My son is 16 years old. He constantly argues about everything. He says things that are just mean. I don't know what else to do. He was cussing and pushing me when he lost his temper. I had him put in juvenile detention overnight. He was put on six months probation and started seeing a counselor. He...

Worried about my teenager [ 17 Answers ]

I have a 16 yr old son who has chosen to live away from home. He still lives in the same town as I do and asks for my help with money once in awhile. I have told him that I will buy him groceries if he has a stable place to live. He has moved in with my sister who is an alcoholic. I don't want to...

View more questions Search