Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cdramaqueen110 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2008, 10:24 PM
    How do you compute current price of bonds?
    How do you compute current price of bonds knowing the yielding maturity, interest rate and price per bond?
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2008, 10:30 PM
    The basic steps are:

1. Figure out the interest payment using the contract rate on the bond.
    2. Figure out the present value of the bond face value.
    3. Figure out the present value of the series of interest payments.
    4. Add together 2 & 3.

For 2 & 3 you need to be using the yield rate, because you're trying to figure out the present value that would yield that amount. (2) is the present value of $1, and (3) is the present value of an annuity (or series of payments). These need figures based on compounding periods, which is determined by how often interest payments are made. If this is annual, you don't need to worry about it. If it's semi-annual, you'll want to divide the interest rates in half (for a half year) and double the number of years to maturity (at two periods per year).

Now, how you actually go about figuring those present values depends on the method you must or want to use, i.e. charts, equations, calculator or Excel. But the above info might help you get started. If you want to get more specific, let us know which method you're using.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Compute the price of bonds on their issue date [ 2 Answers ]

Can you help please? On Jan 1 a company issues bonds with a par value of $300,000. The bonds mature in 5 years and pay 8% annual interest each June 30 and Dec 31. On the issue date, the market rate of interest is 6%. Compute the price of the bonds on the issue date. The following information is...

How do I compute total current assets [ 3 Answers ]

Having the following information, how do I compute total current assets. Land $ 9,000 Machinery 1,100 Accounts payable 1,750 Cash 400

Computing current price of bonds [ 4 Answers ]

My company has $1000 par value bonds outstanding at 8% interest. The bonds will mature in 25 years. How do I compute the current price of the bonds if the present yield to maturity is 7%?

How do you compute the current price of bonds? [ 5 Answers ]

How do you compute the current price of bonds?

Selling Price of Bonds.For the record, I HATE BONDS [ 3 Answers ]

General Toys, Inc. sold five year bonds having a face value of $100,000 and a coupon rate of 7% when the market rate was 9%. The present value of $1 at 9% for five periods is $0.6499. The present value of a $1 annuity for 5 periods at 9% is $3.8897. At what price did these bonds sell? I came up...

View more questions Search