Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dennypower Posts: 9, Reputation: 0

Mar 29, 2008, 08:11 PM
    Detached garage wiring
    Built a detached garage in backyard, the underground line only allowed for 6-3 wiring. The 6-3 had to travel 110 feet to get to the sub panel in the garage.

The garage is an 800 sq ft garage with a loft above it. The loft will eventually be converted into a small apartment. I plan on having a electric water heater, range, washer and dryer etc. (small ones)

How much problems do, if any do you think I may have with this 125A panel with 6-3 on a 50 amp breaker at the main.

ALSO- how many wires can I run through a single hole in the studs. To save time and to make it easier, I ran 5 lines, 4- 14-2 and 1 12-2 wire. This travel under two windows about 10-15 feet.

Thank you
    Dennis
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Mar 30, 2008, 05:42 AM
    First the references :

List 1 : wire-gauges

List 2 : amps-wire gauge

8 AWG may carry a maximum of 50 Amps as part of a 3 conductor cable. But that is based on short length.
    The distance is 110 feet. Add for internal wiring 30 feet. Total wiring length=140 feet from panel to panel.
    You want to feed from a 50 Amp breaker. So see list 2 : 50 Amps requires above 90 feet 4/0 wiring.
    Wire 4/0 diameter = 12 mm / Cable 3 x 4/0 = 25 mm = 1". So the cable to use = 3 x 4/0 AWG with a 1" diameter.
    That is the LEGAL SPECIFIED REQUIREMENT.
    If that cable fits than use that. Buy aluminum core cable to save costs.
    As you go underground you either have to install 2" conduit for 3 wires of 4/0 , or install a 1" 3 x 4/0 armored cable.
    Success!
    ;)

Mar 30, 2008, 07:30 AM
    Clarification:
    This wiring has already been done. Im now attempting to figure out what I can accomplish with the wiring with the previously stated tasks.

And will I have any problems with the 5 wires ran through the one hole, thanks
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Mar 30, 2008, 08:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dennypower
    Clarification:
    This wiring has already been done. Im now attempting to figure out what I can accomplish with the wiring with the previously stated tasks.
    And will I have any problems with the 5 wires ran thru the one hole, thanks
    An AWG 6 wire is rated max. 50 Amps.
    An electric water heater draws up to 20 Amps.
    A washer up to 26 Amps.
    A dryer up to 30 Amps.
    Your AWG 6 wiring is insufficient for the appliances you intend to use.
    "how many wires can I run thru a single hole in the studs".
    Depends on how big that single hole is. You know. I don't ...
    And what is a "stud"? A hole in a bolt or cover? You mean of a distribution box? Measure the hole and provide more detailed information, please.
    AWG 6 wire= 4.115 mm or 0.17" in diameter.

:)

Mar 30, 2008, 08:14 AM
    the hole is a 1 inch in diameter and Im not worried if they will fit but rather if there is a problem with too many wire put together. The "stud" is referring to the 2x4s the hold the garage up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Detached garage sub-panel [ 4 Answers ]

First I want to thank those who have given such good advice on this forum. I have a 900sqft detached garage. I am installing a 125amp sub-panel. I plan to install a 100amp main in this panel. The house is 100ft away. My plan is to run 2" PVC sched 80 conduit from the house to the garage. ...

Ideal Amps for detached garage [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am planning to build a detached garage with electrical which is about 24' from the house main panel. I plan to have about 6 outlets and one with the 220V for the washer\dryer in the garage. What will be a ideal Amps to support these? Thanks in advance,

Detached garage pad [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to get some information on building a garage starting with the Pad. I am planning on building a 22X26 detached garage. The rough grade was completed about 4 months ago. It is a clay base with no topsoil added yet. Should I get a bobcat in to remove a couple inches or just pack down...

Detached garage grounding rod or not [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I just ran across another problem. I will be running 40 amps 240 volts out to my garage via underground 8-3 plus ground. Do I need a grounding rod at the garage or is the ground via the service cable to the garage enough? I have seen both and am not sure why. Is the 240 volt service to the...

Detached garage panel install, please help [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am running 8-3 underground in pvc conduit and am wondering: 1. How high up the garage wall I should come up before entering the garage (I guess this means how high the panel will be on the inside as well)? Any code for this or is whatever height is comfortable good enough? 2. Also, I...

View more questions Search