Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NineToTheSky Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2006, 10:26 AM
    Unable to reinstall mouse.
    OK, I admit it - I made the classic mistake.

My Fujitsu laptop has a Synaptics touchpad. I thought I would update it, went to Synaptics site, installed what I thought was the correct update, and discovered it wasn't. I uninstalled it, and launched the original setup.exe from my installation disks. It starts the installation, but halts with the message: 'A serious internal error has occurred. Please contact your Touchpad supplier. (#5@10)'

I have contacted both Fujitsu and Synaptics support. Both are unable to help me. I have removed every reference to Synaptics I can find in the registry, but it makes no difference.

It has defaulted to the Windows XP driver, but on every boot up, it detects new hardware, but comes up with an unable to install message.

I'm stumped - can anyone help? Ideally, I'd like my original Synaptics driver back (it has more functionality than the Windows one), but as a last resort, can I get Windows to stop trying to detect it (it really slows my Windows-loading time).

TIA
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2006, 10:51 AM
    I found this:
    http://www.fujitsupc.com/www/support...series=S&os=XP

Also:
    "I installed Windows XP on my machine and now the scroll feature of my Touchpad no longer works? Is this a known issue?
    This is a known issue. A driver will be on our web site shortly to enable this functionality."
    http://www.computers.us.fujitsu.com/...oks/general_xp

Feb 7, 2006, 11:03 AM
    Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, my problem isn't getting the files, it's getting them to install.
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2006, 11:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NineToTheSky
    Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, my problem isn't getting the files, it's getting them to install.
    I didn't get that from your post. So what happens when you run the install file to install the touchpad driver?

Feb 7, 2006, 11:14 AM
    As I said in my post: It starts the installation, but halts with the message: 'A serious internal error has occurred. Please contact your Touchpad supplier. (#5@10)'

I'm sorry if I haven't explained it clearly. Please ask if you need more info.
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Feb 7, 2006, 11:29 AM
    I had something similar happen on a laptop after I updated the Synaptics touchpad software.

I never was able to resolve it... I ultimately had to format and re-istall. :(

Feb 7, 2006, 11:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by phillysteakandcheese
    I had somthing similar happen on a laptop after I updated the Synaptics touchpad software.

I never was able to resolve it... I ultimately had to format and re-istall. :(
    That's an option I'm aware of, and trying to avoid :(
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2006, 11:39 AM
    Check out the bottom of this thread:
    http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportf...ssage.id=18255

Feb 7, 2006, 11:52 AM
    Thanks for your suggestion. If I've understood it correctly, it won't help, because I've checked, and my start value is already set to 1.
    GuestWei Posts: 25, Reputation: 3

May 5, 2006, 09:51 PM
    Same thing happen to my hp laptop when I tried to update driver. Here is what I did to solve it.
    Start->run->regedit
    Find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURR ENTVERSION\UNINSTALL\SYNTPDEINSTKEY
    Right click on the key and delete the entire key. If you have trouble delete it, select permissions and add the user into special permissions. After delete the key, reinstall the driver it should pass it without that same error message.

May 6, 2006, 02:59 AM
    I cannot begin to thank you enough, Guest. This problem has been bugging me for longer than I can remember. Some of the finest minds on the web have been trying (unsuccessfully) to resolve this, and you got it in one.

Many, many thanks.
    GuestWei Posts: 25, Reputation: 3

May 6, 2006, 07:35 PM
    You are welcome. Happen to have the same problem and searched on the web for hours can't find the solution so I decided to take on the challenge. Really glad it helps you.
    kdawg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2006, 09:58 AM
    Hey, I'm totally haing the same problem as you NinetotheSky and followed the latest thread but cannot find SYNTPDEINSTKEY in registry! Any tips. Bugging the hell out of me

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Uninstall/Reinstall... [ 2 Answers ]

First I install Coreldraw GS 12 the I decided to update it to Corel X3 but my PC begun to slow then I uninstalled the X3 and try to reinstall the CGS 12 but it won't let me it saz error in applying... :confused:

Can't reinstall Windows 98 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I formatted my hard drive and tried to reinstall Windows 98 on my laptop. When I attempt to reinstall it says that it can't continue because there is a previous install still on the computer. I think the info might have gone onto my D drive and I don't know how to do a complete cleaning of...

Format And Reinstall Xp [ 4 Answers ]

I reinstalled xp because of a virse I got rid of but didn't know how to format my drive some things don't work right but it works slow now how do I format c drive and reinstall xp Thanka Tom

Reinstall/Repartition Win XP [ 3 Answers ]

I have an 80GB external HD. I want to copy over the complete contents of my internal HD, and then reinstall and repartition Win XP Pro. I have the Win XP CD. Can someone explain the steps I would take? I understand that I can't just copy or cut and paste my original HD contents over to the...

Reinstall [ 2 Answers ]

?? Hi I need to know how I can re install comm.drv as I try to d/l games and a window pops up saying this is missing and needs to be re installed hope you can help thanks... >:(

View more questions Search