Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jknightmi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2008, 01:46 PM
    Clogged vent pipe?
    My kitchen sink drains into my drain pit in the basement. It is then pumped out of the pit into my drainfield I guess. I have city water and sewer and firat wonder if this is to code, I live in berrien county in Michigan. Second, when the sump pump kicks on to pump this water out, it sucks all of the water out of the trap under the sink, creating a gurgling noise. I was told by a friend that my "vent" pipe was clogged. How can I tell if I have a clogged vent pipe? And if it is clogged... how do I unclog it?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 29, 2008, 05:59 PM
    Your vent sounds like you have a blockage. The vent's located on the roof just above the sink. Rent a sewer machine and send the cable down the roof vent until it reaches the base. Now put out 20 feet more. Flush with a sink full of hot water. Good luck, Tom
    MarkNat Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2008, 05:39 PM
    Is that the best fix for clearing the blockage? I am pretty sure mine is clogged too. This is the first I have ever heard of a vent pipe too. I blew down it and my wife said the water in the sink shot up. I then ran a 25' snake down and seemed like I was in something gooey but I didn't have the length to open the drain.

This has helped so far.
    westnlas Posts: 322, Reputation: 25

Jun 14, 2008, 06:50 PM
    I had some luck with acid on my friend's house. I bought a quart of acid drain cleaner at OSH and poured it down the stack. It smelled real bad for a bit, half hour later I flushed the vent with a garden hose. Did the trick.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 14, 2008, 07:20 PM
    I can not advise against using muratic acid, or any acid, in a enclosed area such as a rest room strongly enough. As a young boy I would take limed up toilet bowls out in the alley behind the shop and boil the lime out of them. Over half a century later my lungs still carry the scar tissue that the acid fumes caused. A few years ago I lost a good friend when he used a commercial drain cleaner containing sulfuric acid in a unvented bathroom. Acid IS NOT A GOOD IDEA to use to clear mineral buildup. Take it from one who's paid the price. Regards, Tom
    westnlas Posts: 322, Reputation: 25

Jun 14, 2008, 10:31 PM
    I stand corrected, however most vents are open to good ventilation. Since the method was to pour the acid down from the top of the vent, I felt it was a safe procedure as the fumes could only go back through the stack and would not enter the bath after clearing the drain because of the traps. Oops ! Again, It's what I would do, certainly not for everyone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Clogged Vent or Septic? [ 2 Answers ]

Anyone able to give me a hand with this one?? In my basement, the main septic line enters our house about 4 feet off the floor. Right next to that there is a "drain" for what used to be our laundry room (we have since moved it upstairs). For a couple months now, and only at certain times, when we...

Vent pipe turned into drain pipe and drain pipe into vent pipe [ 3 Answers ]

I recently began to remodel my laundry room. I wanted to move the washing machine 3 ft from its current spot. When I removed the sheet rock I found that the vent pipe is between the current washing machine drain and where I am moving my washing machine. I wanted to avoid breaking into the slab....

Clogged toilet vent [ 1 Answers ]

Whenever we flush the toilet, the pipes make a loud gurgling sound. They do not appear clogged but we snaked via the bathtub drain just in case. It was clear. So our theory is that... (I know this sounds crazy)... Squirrels have dropped nuts into the roof vent leading to the toilet. Is there away...

Soil Stack Vent Pipe/Stench Pipe ( Smelly Drains ) [ 3 Answers ]

I have a downstairs toilet and upstairs toilet ,one above the other.. The soil/stench pipe connects upwards to above the Roof heaves and downward into the sewer... Coupled into the sewer also is a Gully trap drain to take sink and bath / shower wastes and from time to time , from that drain gully...

Vent pipe clogged? [ 2 Answers ]

My first floor bathroom sink drains through vertically down and then through a sloping pipe and then into a septic system. The sink drains very slowly. The other sinks and two showers in the house are OK. I first thought the sink line was clogged, but I have opened and cleaned out the line and...

View more questions Search