Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Toiner Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2006, 08:53 AM
    Unwarranted Late Fee
    I live in Falls Church, Virginia (Fairfax County). Rent is due on the first, but we have until the 5th to pay. I dropped off the checks in the Rent Drop Box at the rental office the morning of the 5th. (a Sunday but the office is open)
    On Monday when I return home from work there is a late notice on my door for 10% of my rent (I have not checked to see if the 10% thing is in the rental agreement... usually it's $25 with past experience). I went to the office immediately to ask about this... the office had been closed for 15 minutes but the receptionist was nice enough to check on it for me. I was told to come back the next day. I did and was told that they had just found the check that morning (it is now the 7th). I am waiting for a call to see if they will accept the personal check (they required a money order in the notice) :mad:

What are my options here if they won't accept it? It seems like it's my word against theirs, and I don't want to pay $150 for their mistake!
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2006, 07:02 AM
    Hi,
    Unfortunately, it's your word against theirs. Waiting until the very last day to pay rent is really not a good idea, since things like this do happen. If it's due on the 1st, then I would get into the habit of paying it no later than the 1st.
    Maybe in talking with the manager, you can convince him/her that your check was in the "drop box" on the 5th.
    I do wish you the best of luck.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 8, 2006, 08:20 AM
    Really nothing you can do. In most rental or lease agreements it will state, that the money is not credited till received. Droping the payment off in a drop box on the last day on a weekend is a very poor idea
    Plus if you stated they were open on Sunday, why did you not take it in and hand it to them not drop in in a slot.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2006, 09:44 AM
    And if the rent is due on the 1st, then giving it in on the 5th even makes it late!!

They just give you a bit of leeway for situations like this!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Late period [ 2 Answers ]

I am 7 days late from my period And I am not sreet at all And my last period was on the 20 augest 2006 And I was to come on on the 17 of setember 2006 And I have still not come on and my nipple are going brown and I fell sick and everything

Is it too late? [ 8 Answers ]

The short story is I met my ex, Chris, at the beginning of college and we dated causually for 5 months before I broke up with him. Even though we weren't together we continued to see each other and started to get along even better than before. Chris asked me back on the following summer and we...

View more questions Search