Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slk1silk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2008, 07:49 AM
    Can I call in a police report for car hit in work parking lot months later?
    Hi, My car was hit in work parking lot. Person who hit my car left a note. I called him and one of the guys from work took car to fix it. Guy fixing car was also working on engine. When I got the car back the dent in front fender had been pulled out, but, looked like crap. So now it is like 6 months later and I approached the guy that hit my car and told him I would like some compensation for doing him a favor since my car was not repaired to my satisfaction and he said he would take care of car being repaired. My car is still sitting in parking lot waiting to be transported and repaired. Can I file a police report this late in the game and have his insurance pay, since he is not willing to cough up any money for my doing him a favor?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.:confused:
    Username Here Posts: 72, Reputation: 2

Mar 29, 2008, 07:51 AM
    I think the limitation is 24 hours after an accident.

But you may be able to stand on the fact that you made a verbal agreement on some compensation.

Good Luck, Hope this helps,
    Louis.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 29, 2008, 08:07 AM
    The police will not come out, if they will take it at all, you will have to go in and file a report, this will vary from department to department.
    In the one I used to work for, we would have taken your statement, in others they would not.

But you don't need a police report to file a claim with his insurnce company, you have his letter, the details from the last repair shop.

You can also just sue him in civil court for the damages

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car Accident No Police Report [ 13 Answers ]

Here is my story... back in 01/2006 I was in the middle of a 5 car pile up... anyhow... we didn't call the police to make the report... the guy took my drivers license info and my insurance... which was expired... we'll I let it go... about 1 year later I get a request from the company requesting...

Hit in a parking lot, my vehicle was unattended [ 9 Answers ]

I woke up this morning to find my car had been damaged by the car next to me this morning in my apartment building. I know this is private property, so I'm not sure if the police can do anthing. The car that hit me was in an assigned spot, and I was parked next to them. I've lived there for over a...

Car accident, not my fault, no police report, have driver info [ 3 Answers ]

A driver hit me while I was nannying with 3 kids in the car. She sobbed about her insurance being so high, and she will pay for the damage out of pocket. It has been 8 months now, and not a penny has been received. Luckily she has still been answering my calls. What rights do I have?

Car stolen from parking lot [ 7 Answers ]

I parked my car in a covered parking garage adjacent to the Seattle Opera House and it was stolen. Do I have a legitimate claim against the lot?

Swimming in the Parking Lot [ 2 Answers ]

In Missouri, Apartment complex throughway and parking lot (no carports or garages) is littered with potholes several inches deep, enough to ruin your undercarriage, transmission, and alignment if you hit one. One deep pothole every few feet, littered with several other potholes. It looks...

View more questions Search