Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frangipanis Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2008, 04:56 PM
    Okay, you've convinced me. I'm out to find some sesame oil. The salad sounds delicious Linnealand.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2008, 04:58 PM
    Remember the oils in the section with the Crisco/wesson are not good
    The oils with the olive oils are good.
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Jun 19, 2008, 08:07 AM
    But you have to store your oil properly because rancid oil contains baddies the stuff that you take antioxidants for (heating oil past it's smoke point oxidizes it)Also our local pet supply store had a whole lot of 50# bags of oil sunflower seed for sale. Later when they were all sold to people (as birdseed I guess)the spot where they had been sitting on the salesfloor looked highly suspicious to me. I'm just avoiding trouble, let other people buy it, not me. Also it's called canola oil but the plant it comes from is a form of mustard/radish called rape. Rapeseed oil just doesn't have the same sales appeal. You can make mustard gas from that plant too. No thanks!
    frangipanis Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2008, 04:14 PM
    We had Trout cooked in sesame oil last night with a vegetable mix including fennel. It was delicious. We mostly use extra virgin olive oil, so apart from anything else, it was nice to have a change.

I hadn't known canola oil was so controversial which we've also used from time to time.

Where do you store your oils wildandblue?
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2008, 08:34 PM
    Sounds delicious, fran! That's the way to eat!

EVOO should be kept in a dark or green bottle, away from heat and sunlight. Keep the bottle well closed. Easy as pie!

Jun 20, 2008, 08:15 AM
    Yes that's right keep it inside a cabinet or pantry in the dark but not a cabinet too close to the stove which would be too warm.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2008, 06:18 PM
    One more note - anyone with expired oils should just throw them out immediately, no matter what it cost when you bought it. Time can turn it rancid and render it extremely unhealthy to your body.

My dad used to be the cook in the house, and then he left the kitchen for a long time. Now my sister and I are major cooks, and when we were over at his place, we found a ton of products that he wanted to keep but we just had to throw out ourselves. It's a hard bullet to bite... but it's a bullet! :)

Jun 21, 2008, 09:00 AM
    We mix leftover oil with a little water, a squirt of dish detergent, and all the hydrated lime it will take to make a creamy consistency. This makes good cheap whitewash paint for fences and barns and sheds.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Oil Burner still dripping.Oil Co. Tricks.fear for 3 dogs lives [ 8 Answers ]

That 1 you see as a response to my boiler question was to redirect my boiler question to heating and cooling. Please refer to boiler burner dripping below. Still need an answer as am not willing to have the tricky oil companies service my problem after causing it. They want to see more dollars...

Oil burner blows back oil [ 10 Answers ]

My oil burner repairman cannot figure out why the oil is blowing back into the part that is attached to the pump. Everything has been replaced, nozzle, pump, eye, etc. It is a Beckett burner and the nozzle that is in there is .75/80 hollow. Why would the oil blow back, 0other than the nozzle is...

Oil Pressure Sensor for Oil Reservoir on a 7.3 Diesel [ 13 Answers ]

On a Ford Powerstroke 7.3 Diesel High Pressure Oil Pump, what does the Oil Pressure Sensor on the oil reservoir do? It does not appear to be attached to any light or gauge that would show a drop in oil pressure. How does it work or what does it do? Thanks, Donna

My Oil burning boiler deloped an oil drip. [ 1 Answers ]

My oil burning boiler developed a drip. I recently had my boiler inspected for rust on the exterior. A sticker on the unit housing was charred and the burning area seemed rusty. I had gone a year saving money by allowing the unit to run only when I needed a shower or wash something in warm. I saved...

Commercial oil-based v.s artist's oil paint [ 1 Answers ]

I am painting on interior brick, already painted with oil-base commercial and wish to use commercial oil-base paint because I think it is more durable than artist's paints, i.e. dusted, perhaps even washed. Is there something I can use to thicken it, thus allowing it to work more like artist's...

View more questions Search