Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TAXKAMARA Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2008, 06:31 AM
    Do Indian F1 students get Social Security taxes back?
    Well I am amazed as how much you can learn on the website. So here I am again clearing up queries I have had for years...

So as far as I nderstand one can claim SSN benefits if a person is a non-resident alien and is on F1 status i.e.. You file 1040-NR-EZ. If you are on F1 and you pass the 183 day test (resident alien) you cannot claim these benefits. Is that correct?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 29, 2008, 10:00 AM
    Everyone on F1 or OPT is exempt from residency for 5 years, and does not pay FICA taxes. It is not only for Indian.

So even if you pass 183 days test on F1, yoy don't become resident.
    Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Tax Filing Requirements for Non-Residents

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I get paid social security taxes back after leaving the US? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all, A silly question for which I could find no correct answer. I used to study in the US on an F-1 Visa. Then I got a job and converted to an H-1B visa. Worked for three years and paid taxes. Then converted back to F-1 to finish my MBA and then left the US to come to India. So...

Back child support and social security disability back pay [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Texas and I am making court ordered payments fro back child support for a non-minor child. I will be receiving social security disability soon and was wondering since I am making payments will my social security back pay be garnished?:confused:

6-year Indian Student, 1040EZ but claiming social security taxes from 5th year. [ 3 Answers ]

I've been in the States since 2001 (F-1 undergrad, then 1 year of F-1 OPT, and now with a new F-1 for grad school), 6 years so far and all at the same university in NYC. This will be my first year filing the 1040EZ, and I have a few Q's... Four questions: * Is the 1040EZ form the...

Are Indian non-resident students subject to taxes in India on US income? [ 3 Answers ]

Are students who are non-resident in the US for tax purposes, subject to tax in India? If so how can the back taxes be paid? Should we submit that we were subject to taxes in India because we intend to pay our taxes?

Taxes For Indian Students [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a Indian student on F1 at Georgia. I am married and my wife is in F2 visa. We are directly coming from india. I am getting full tuition waiver and graduate assistantship. I wanted to know what will be the portion of taxes withheld every month from my slary and whether the indian US...

View more questions Search